Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Festiva, New Wheels

HEY!

I just posted a thread in the general area about my festiva experience and what not.

well, as said in that post, i just recently got another festy, and sold the wheels i WAS going to put on my old one.

i HAD toyota celica wheels 13x7 4x114.3. sold those wheels and am looking for some new ideas.

I would LOVE to go deep dish, anywhere from 2 inches to 4 inches deep on the lip.

i like Ghosts pics of the green festy for sale, there are "are" wheels he posted a picture of, the slanted stars 13x7. i like those A LOT

ive been searching and searching and searching for rims that tickle my fancy for months, and havent found anything in my price range or style comfort, (besides the slanted stars.)

13x7 would be sweet or even 6.5, i dont really wanna go bigger than 15-16's but if they look nice, all will be considered.

can ANYONE help me out? i have found slim to none!! throw some brands or pics up! <3

much appreciated guys n gals

You are not gonna find a deep dish lip on a 6-7in wide high offset wheel...these are just the physics of our univerese.

To get that lip you either need a convex spoke shape, or low offset. And to fit a low offset wheel you will need alot of cutting and flares.

I wouldn't go any larger than 15s max.

Something like this would work with a 4in backspacing, but you wont have that awesome low offset lip you see in the pic.

Here is another...

Last edited by BUSTIVA; 09-04-2012, 03:30 PM.
    '93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

BTW i love what you did to your festiva, its so dope i sent pix to my friend, he couldnt believe it lol.

well im tryin to get a nice lookin set of rims to poke n stretch after a nice drop. 15s would be my max for this car. looks nicer, and seems safer.

i was thinkin a set of 15x8 deep dish steelies, but they have to be custom made and i dont have THAT much cash.

any ideas help though keep em comin!

Comment

Thanks, its a work in proress still...

If you want a 15x8 or 15x7, just find some used xxr's for cheap. 15s are huge on our cars, and it took alot to fit them lol. Go for it if you want but flares are really the only option for wide 15s.

I posted a few 13x8 steelies in my post above, I think that is the direction I'm about to go myself.

Comment

those chrome allied racings wheels are nice!!! and i think the circle racing ones also come in pink and green lol, which i would so do. im stancing my festiva out nice. im trying to start a JDM trend on american cars on the east coast. (even though the festiva is korean) american owned lol

but the allied is awesome. do you think that would affect the turning with poked n stretch tires? im worries about the 7inch depth, i never got to try my 13x7s on my last festy

Comment

i was planning on getting flares like Ghosts green car. they look sick. i saw that car on google a long time ago, when i first got my 89.

your car would look awesome with some white, black, or chrome deep 13x7s.

Comment

What I want to know is what do deep dish wheels do for anyone other than make it look to bystanders like all you have is a bulge in your pants. I quite agree that Festys are homely looking as is but bolting on big wheels (on an OEM 12-15 second 0-60mph car) only serves to make you look even more like a -----.
              Direct your cash and enthusiasm towards taking the time and effort to craft and slide in a B6T or BP and then you can rightfully beat your chest, and put big wheels on your go-kart. At least then you will have the ability to physically surprise everyone.
              Just look up some of Advancedynamics posts to see how wonderfully clean and fast a 'Q-ship' Festy looks. Big wheels only attract attention from cynical folks (such as myself) that try not to fall to the ground laughing when they uncover a single cam 1.3 engine, cardboard door panels, 3 speed auto and a sound system bigger than the engine.

Sorry laddy, just blowing off some steam. What you're aspiring to is really no different from when I was a young lad and keeners were severely jacking up the rear ends of their Plymouth Valiants and Chevy Beaumonts, bolting the rims on backwards, painting the diffs orange or green and hanging raccoon tails off the gas cap.

Comment

On the Function side of things....

wide wheels give more contact patch, a lower roll over chance, wider track width, all things that are good for handling.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                  hanging raccoon tails off the gas cap.
                  NOW THERE'S AN IDEA! afk gotta go get me a coon...pics to come soon(next week when it dries out)...on my minivan ofc!
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                  1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                  1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                  1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                  1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                  1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

it would be impossible to disagree with Bustiva. wider wheels and tires help handling in almost everyway (unless you going for certain types of terain racing such as snow, dirt etc.) for the street sceen, it helps handling in any kind of turning/bends, grips and hugs the road actually in my opinion, and correct me if im wrong. any sized wheel thats wider than a stock 165/70/12 is more SAFE.

as for the style aspect, my car isnt a going to be a "ricer". just because someone (like me) wants to put some nice wheels on a car, doesnt mean its supposed to be fast or look fast. its a style. and in my generation, its growing RAPIDLY. especially in my area. a lot of the cars in this particular assortment of styling and group ARE fast.(not festy's but actual performance cars) and so wheels and new paint job and decals or what have you, do the cars power justice. as for me, and my generation witout 5-10 thousand dollars to put towards our cars.. its just for looks

Comment

Years ago a buddy of mine came back from the Alberta tar sands with really skinny 10 ply Michelin XC4s on his K5 Blaser. That truck would go anywhere! With the exception of loose sand, where spread distribution of weight is highly desirable, maximum pounds per square inch of rubber on firm ground vastly improved the traction of that vehicle.
                      Certainly not everyone is off-roading with Festys but there is a trade-off of in the amount of tire contact to the ground and fuel economy.
                      I have to admit that wheels wider than the OEM 145s do tend to make Festys look a lot more sporty but once you cross the line beyond 175s the stock wheel wells are not set up to handle the extra width.
                      Attached is a shot of direct fit and OEM Kia Rio 14 inch rims on a standard Aspire swap as compared to a stock Festy. The 14" tires are only 155s but that extra 3/4 inch outward really does change the look of the car. And nothing rubs.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        I have to admit that wheels wider than the OEM 145s do tend to make Festys look a lot more sporty but once you cross the line beyond 175s the stock wheel wells are not set up to handle the extra width.
                        The 14" tires are only 155s but that extra 3/4 inch outward really does change the look of the car. And nothing rubs.
                        Yeah I've doubled the contact patch on all 4 corners lol. With my 8.25 whide wheels, the inside 4 1/8th inch of contact is in the same offset/scrub radius as the oem 145s. I basically added 4 1/8th in of tire to the outside of the stock setup. But as you stated, this doesn't exactly fit in the wheel wells. But the a mount of grip I have now is absolutely insane. I've sent home many many "race" cars home with their tails between their legs after an autox event.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTIVA View Post
                          Yeah I've doubled the contact patch on all 4 corners lol. With my 8.25 whide wheels, the inside 4 1/8th inch of contact is in the same offset/scrub radius as the oem 145s. I basically added 4 1/8th in of tire to the outside of the stock setup. But as you stated, this doesn't exactly fit in the wheel wells. But the a mount of grip I have now is absolutely insane. I've sent home many many "race" cars home with their tails between their legs after an autox event.
                          Yes I have already managed to insult you regarding enthusiasm about overly wide wheels so I'm happy to see that none of us hold grudges.

Each to his own and if you're winning races all power to you! If 'autox' in fact means autocross then maybe as an experiment you want to try a set of bona fide (with the snowflake emblem) snow tires sometime. The aggressive tread and soft rubber grab like nothing you've ever seen when it's hot outside.

Comment

Originally posted by BUSTIVA View Post
                            We've butt heads over wide wheels before. But if you're winning races all power to you!. If autox if fact means 'auto cross' then maybe as an experiment you want to try bona fide (with the snowflake emblem) snow tires sometime. The aggressive tread and soft rubber compound grips like nobody's business offroad when it's warm outside. And you'd have lots of suspension travel for bouncing around. Folks might just laugh at your unfashionably thin wheels but only after choking on your dust.
                            I run a set of Goodyear Nordic 175/70-13s during the winter and I'd swear that car behaved like AWD. Spinning the wheels actually requires effort. And Nordics are no where near as good as Michelin X-Ice and some of the other luxury brands.

Comment

sorry to interrupt this battle between you too, lol, but Bustiva, since the wider rims n tired add more traction, how much hardher is it to turn the wheel with no power steering?

wouldnt it wear the tires down quicker?

and wouldnt that be A LOT more stress on the steering rack?

Comment

Working...
                              X