How low is to low to drop a festiva?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How low is to low to drop a festiva?

I plan on dropping my festiva as low as it can go. It will not be a daily, more of a show piece / weekend cruiser. Does anybody know the actual drop in inches that is TOO far as to where the car will rub the tires? For instance, if it can go down 6"s, then I'll drop it 6". Or 8" or 4" or whatever it is. I'll custome fit pieces of whatever suspension pieces will work. Just Lookin to see if anyone knows already. If not, trial and error will be my new best friend.

Don't know how low is too low, but I do know that McPherson strut suspensions do weird things when lowered too far. Once your control arms go past level, you start gaining positive camber.

Something to think about.
    Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
    '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
    '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

if you really want a festy to get low, you need to move your LCA mount points, invert the outer tierods and move your rear beam chassis mounts.

in other words: you need to fab, alot.....

if you're not willing or don't have the skills to do that, the typical limit is a 165/60/14 level with the fender (no tuck, hella flush).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by JPT View Post
        Don't know how low is too low, but I do know that McPherson strut suspensions do weird things when lowered too far. Once your control arms go past level, you start gaining positive camber.

Something to think about.
        Not on a Festiva, The camber arc extends past where the wheels will contact the body. I DD my car with my control arms pointed upwards about 5 degrees and zero camber with no abnormal tire wear at all. It tracks nicely and isn't "grabby" even with 2.5" wider than stock wheels. My toe is also zero on the street.

How low can you go? That is mostly dependent on tire size. If you want to slam your car with big wheels I suggest these 165/45-15" Federal Formoza tires.

They are actually a smaller diameter than the stock 12" tires so you get lower just with that, plus, they are narrow and fit up inside the stock wheel wells, and they are fairly cheap and V rated.
        I think you can drop the car overall 6" and still have decent ride quality with these tires on 15x6" wheels with a 35mm offset. You may need to roll the fenders, but no cutting will be required. My car is 4" lower than stock, but it's set up to carry a load comfortably.
        4" drop, with 7" wide wheels, fenders have been stretched, tires are 185/45/15
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          Not on a Festiva, The camber arc extends past where the wheels will contact the body. I DD my car with my control arms pointed upwards about 5 degrees and zero camber with no abnormal tire wear at all. It tracks nicely and isn't "grabby" even with 2.5" wider than stock wheels. My toe is also zero on the street.

How low can you go? That is mostly dependent on tire size. If you want to slam your car with big wheels I suggest these 165/45-15" Federal Formoza tires.

They are actually a smaller diameter than the stock 12" tires so you get lower just with that, plus, they are narrow and fit up inside the stock wheel wells, and they are fairly cheap and V rated.
          I think you can drop the car overall 6" and still have decent ride quality with these tires on 15x6" wheels with a 35mm offset. You may need to roll the fenders, but no cutting will be required. My car is 4" lower than stock, but it's set up to carry a load comfortably.
          4" drop, with 7" wide wheels, fenders have been stretched, tires are 185/45/15
          Thanks for the info. What suspension are you running??

Comment

Originally posted by gurry624 View Post
            Thanks for the info. What suspension are you running??
            This will tell you everything you need to know, and I do mean everything :lol:

Discuss improvements to your Festiva or Aspire in the handling, braking, wheels and tires areas.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
              This will tell you everything you need to know, and I do mean everything :lol:

http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=42850
              Thanks!!

Comment

When you can taste your balls when you hit a bump , its too low.

Comment

take the wheels, knuckles, and rear swing arm off and set it on the ground. That's how low you can go! Oh wait I forgot, fold over the pinch weld too.
                  89 Festiva L Carby 4 Speed... RIP. Evicted and Scrapped. I HATE MY FAMILY
                  94 aspire 3 door Red -- Former BP, V6 KLDE swap underway! RIP... Rotted and Flooded out...
                  2012 Mazda 2 Touring 5 Speed... It's Very, Very, Very green... Daily Driver
                  1964 Barracuda 360 V8 Push Button 904 Auto, New Money Pit

Facebook Me!

Comment

I seen a pic once of a miata so low that a car key was on the ground leaning against the pinch weld

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                    1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                    2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

As Advanced stated, you can go "pretty low" with the right tires. 165/45/15, 155/55/14 etc. It takes a lot of work to have a low car that doesn't look and ride like total crap.

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                        if you're not willing or don't have the skills to do that, the typical limit is a 165/60/14 level with the fender (no tuck, hella flush).
                        You can go much lower than the fender line on that size and still retain drivability.

This set-up will tuck all the way to the rim on a 165/60 and drive.

Last edited by deathrace2000; 09-11-2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Oh my goodness... and I thought mine was low. Guess not haha. 14x5 steelies with P185/60-R14 and rear spacers, KYBs, and coilovers.

1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I've tucked the stock 12in wheel lip with mine, and drove it fine. This is about as low as you can go for this tire height, because it would scrub the top/middle of the fenderliners on some occasions, but not bad. Its all about the suspension setup.

'93 BP-T 57trim TO4E - Coilovers - 13x7 steelies - 175/60 - 48k mi

Comment

I was gonna say contact BUSTIVA, but he got here 1st.
                              -Greg
                              Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                              BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                              Redneck Engineer
                              FOTY - '09
                              5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Working...
                              X