Still Having Poor Braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still Having Poor Braking

I am in desperate need for some stopping power, i have Subaru wrx master cylinder (1 inch bore), Steel braided hose all four lines, Mazda Demio Hub, Rotors and Calipers.
    With all these mod i still have to gear down hard to stop, i'm tempted to get the Aspire setup but rockauto is saying that the Aspire Rotors are 9.25 which seams the same size as mine,

Is the calipers on the aspire better than the demio?

Im just out of options.

:cry_smile::cry_smile:
    JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
    I don't complain, i just come plain.

Are you having to press the pedal repeatedly? You know, "pumping" the brakes?

Or are you just trying to bring it down from powered flight?
    Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
    Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
    "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

You forgot to mention the type of brake pads/shoes you are running.
      Some of the "race" type pads/shoes have to be heated up before the work well.
      Hotrod Forums Directory * D&D Discbrakes 61-67 Econoline Conversions
      1988 Festy - white 5spd 1.3 * 1992 Festy - red 5spd 1.3 * 1963 Econoline 5 window pu * 1993 Dodge W250 5.9 Cummings * 94 Mustang

Comment

When I got my second Festy the caliper slides (they're supposed to be sealed) were totally rust-seized and it took the equivalent of 2 men and a boy to press hard enough on the brake pedal to slow down the car. I couldn't believe how much difference new calipers made on ease of stopping after that experience. Maybe you want to take your calipers apart to see how well the two halves move.
        As an aside, I am now running entirely Aspire brakes and with the Festy master cylinder. I do like that set up! The ventilated discs are infinitely easier to service (they just pull off!) and by virtue of being somewhat larger result in better braking and important to me; considerably longer pad and shoe life.

Comment

try bleeding the brakes,putting new fluid worked like majic for me

Comment

Originally posted by scitzz View Post
            Are you having to press the pedal repeatedly? You know, "pumping" the brakes?

Or are you just trying to bring it down from powered flight?
            Yes Sometimes I have to pump the brakes even when i'm not driving fast

Originally posted by econoaddict View Post
            You forgot to mention the type of brake pads/shoes you are running.
            Some of the "race" type pads/shoes have to be heated up before the work well.
            I'm using the regular pads not racing pads

Originally posted by Bert View Post
            When I got my second Festy the caliper slides (they're supposed to be sealed) were totally rust-seized and it took the equivalent of 2 men and a boy to press hard enough on the brake pedal to slow down the car. I couldn't believe how much difference new calipers made on ease of stopping after that experience. Maybe you want to take your calipers apart to see how well the two halves move.
            As an aside, I am now running entirely Aspire brakes and with the Festy master cylinder. I do like that set up! The ventilated discs are infinitely easier to service (they just pull off!) and by virtue of being somewhat larger result in better braking and important to me; considerably longer pad and shoe life.
            This is the rotor i'm using now

I measured it and its 9.25in 4x100 lug pattern is this the same size as the Aspire ones?

Showing that its vented as well

With this Caliper it looks like the only thing moves is the piston and pads. It may have been a good thing that i checked, cause now i discovered that the pads are low, lol.
            JAMAICA TO THE WORLD

Comment

If you have to pump the brakes your problem may be air in your brake lines, or low brake fluid.

Also, on the calipers there are two cylinders which slide the caliper itself on the mount, allowing both brake pads to equally squeeze the rotor. If these are not kept greased and able to slide, they will freeze up and make braking difficult.

Perhaps you have a combination of bad fluid, possible air in your lines, and stuck sliders.

Get yourself the proper car shop manual for you car, and/or a good mechanic's book on brake systems and how to service them.

You could also post more pics as you troubleshoot your system so we can help better.

Karl
              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                If you have to pump the brakes your problem may be air in your brake lines, or low brake fluid.

Also, on the calipers there are two cylinders which slide the caliper itself on the mount, allowing both brake pads to equally squeeze the rotor. If these are not kept greased and able to slide, they will freeze up and make braking difficult.

Perhaps you have a combination of bad fluid, possible air in your lines, and stuck sliders.

Get yourself the proper car shop manual for you car, and/or a good mechanic's book on brake systems and how to service them.

You could also post more pics as you troubleshoot your system so we can help better.

Karl

Since i didn't greased the calipers i will be leaning towards that idea, and will be checking that. I did bleed the brakes and the master cylinder is full

Last edited by alpaccino; 10-14-2012, 02:52 PM.
                JAMAICA TO THE WORLD

Comment

Install new pads. Pump up the pedal, and check the brake fluid!!!
                  Chuck
                  Life's a beach, then you marry one---- Shakespeare
                  If money will fix it, it's not broken
                  91 GL -Ol' Rusty
                  93 GL - Lil Red
                  91 L - Tweetystiva
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54176
                  http://www.fuelly.com/car/ford/festi...tfordcat/54596

Comment

Any recommended brands to choose from (racing brand preferably). ps How to check if the brake fluid is bad (the master cylinder is full but bad...?)
                    Last edited by alpaccino; 10-14-2012, 04:31 PM.
                    JAMAICA TO THE WORLD

Comment

Yessiree I now see that you already have modern front brakes! Make sure those slides move freely, get any air out of the lines and get some new pads on there.

And then wear a helmet first time you put your foot down on your new brakes

Comment

It looks like you've already got what comes on an aspire. Like people have mentioned, make sure your slides move freely, and be sure the brakes are bled fully. One thing you should also note is that with a 1" M/C you are loosing mechanical leverage and the brake effort will increase. This may also be a factor in your problem. The largest I would go with on those calipers is 7/8" bore, but I would also use it with a larger booster to compensate for the added pedal effort. This can be accomplished with Miata parts.
                        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by alpaccino View Post
                          With this Caliper it looks like the only thing moves is the piston and pads. It may have been a good thing that i checked, cause now i discovered that the pads are low, lol.
                          Calipers appear to be rigid and fixed but if you look closely at them you'll see the entire caliper is able to move slightly via two solid pins that are tucked under rubber boots. Were this not the case the brake piston would solely exert force on one pad only.

Comment

Also, if those are locked up. I have bought 2 remanned calipers on ebay (centric brand) for 38.00 each shipped (to continental U.S. though) and they are an awesome deal, possibly better than original calipers. You gotta keep an eye out for the deals, but they come up quite often.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by alpaccino View Post
                              Yes Sometimes I have to pump the brakes even when i'm not driving fast
                              OK, so, when you try to brake, the pedal goes to the floor, then you have to pump the brakes for the pedal to get tight, and allow you to stop?
                              Contact me for information about Festiva Madness!
                              Remember, FestYboy is inflatable , and Scitzz means crazy, YO!
                              "Like I'm going to suggest we do the job right." ~Fecomatter May 28 2016.

Comment

Working...
                              X