Lightest skinny 14" wheel?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lightest skinny 14" wheel?

Anyone have any ideas on what the lightest 14 X 5" or 14 X 4.5" wheel would be to fit an Aspire hub size? I know Honda had some 14 X 5" wheels for its cars in the eighties. For example, the "phone dials" were that size, but I don't want those due to their "desirable" status and extra cost.

The HX rims are nice and light, but they're 5.5" wide, which kind of spoils it. I really want skinnier wheels than that.

While alloy is preferred, steel wheels of 4.0 or 4.5" width might work, if they're nice enough and not too heavy.

Thanks,

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Honda Civic EX/Si 92+ Cast 14x5 18
    Honda CRX Si 86-87 Cast 14x5 15.4
    Honda CRX Si 90 Cast 14x5 16

Andy's Auto Sport offers a large variety of Wheels products for any vehicle! We have a huge selection of categories available to help you see all our Wheels products.

VX/HX are significantly lighter, even if they may be wider. Aren't the VX wheels 13x5? That fits Aspire brakes...
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Have you checked into aftermarket 02 Rio wheels? I dont know if your looking for new or used, but they are 14" 4x100 and aspire centerbore stock. I was browsing this site, they have Sharp looking rims, but the pics are all 5 lug..I called them and they said they gurantee a fit if its listed for that y/m/m. They throw in new hardware with the purchase price too, like lug nuts and hub rings. I'm not seeing weight specs or width/offset, maybe they could answer those questions?

Don't know where to find the perfect 14 inch rims for your 2002 Kia Rio CARiD.com stores a massive selection of 2002 Kia Rio 14 wheels offered in myriads of design and finish options, including chrome, black, silver, and so much more.
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-15-2012, 05:20 PM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I'm happy with my OEM 14" 4 hole Rio alloy rims even though they are 6 inch. I'm hoping to get a set of steel winters and 5-5 1/2 would be ideal but you have to remember the standard tires on these cars are 175s and 185s. Not at all like searching for Festy tires.

Comment

I already have Miata Daisies (14 X 5.5" and 12.3#) and Miata seven (solid) spokes (14 X 6" and 11.6#).

I also have a set of VX wheels (13 X 5" and 9#) and a set of thin Aspire alloys (13 X 4.5" and 13#).

I just would like to have some "MPG" worthy lightweight, thin 14" wheels. Those 14 X 5" Honda cast wheels at 18 pounds are scary heavy! That's what steel 14 X 5.5" Miata rims weigh!

My MINI "phone dial" 15 X 5.5" wheels are supposed to weigh 12.5# each. I haven't taken the tires off to weigh them yet.

I think that a light set of 14 X 5"s should weigh from 10 to 14 pounds, which is the weight I'd like to find, if possible. I want to run 155s or 165s on them, so 5" width is plenty and 4.5" width would be preferable.

Thanks for all the ideas,

Karl
          Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-15-2012, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I called carid back and they say the weight isn't given to them by the manufacturer so I'd have to get ahold of them to find out...lame, good luck with that!

This eBay store claims to have 14" 4x100 4.5" wheels but you'd need hub rings and I dontknow what the offset is. Might be worth a call?

Last edited by zoom zoom; 10-15-2012, 05:54 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Look at space saver rims for your answer.
              97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
              CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
              Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

I would think honda HX's would be light like the VX's are.
                -93' L BP swap/e-series, coilovers, RIO front swap, redrilled festy drums, Miata 14" 7 spokes.
                -88' Mazda 323 SE, work in progress..
                -85' Nissan Sentra 5 spd.

Comment

HXs are supposed to be 11# each. So an equivalent 5" or 4.5" wide wheel would easily be lighter.

As for space savers, I did see an RX7 alloy space saver wheel in the 'yard once. IIRC it was a 15 X 4.5" size. Unfortunately, it was also 4 X 108mm bolt pattern! If it had been either Festiva or Aspire pattern, I would have bought it, and then begun searching for three more!

There may be other cars out there with alloy space savers. Anyone know of any in 4 X 100mm?

Matt, that's a decent price on 14 X 6" Estrellas with Festiva/Aspire dual pattern ($80 each shipped), which IIRC, weigh around 14# each. However, I can't find a single other 14" or 15" wheel on that site. BTW, the title on those Estrellas says 4.5" but that's the second bolt pattern (4.5" = 114.3mm).

Karl
                  Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-15-2012, 06:37 PM.

Comment

You could always look into getting some stock wheels narrowed. I know people widen steelies sometimes. Should be even easier to narrow them.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

As for steel space saver wheels, does anyone know if there is a failure limit of RPMs on those or are the temporary spare limits solely due to the tire designs and size?

I could mount my 155/65-14 tires on four 14 X 4" steel space saver wheels, but I need assurance that the wheels themselves won't come apart at 85 mph!

Also, would there be any mounting or balancing problems putting regular tires on those? I think it would be safe enough for 155s on a 4" wheel.

Sketch, as for getting steelies cut thinner, I bet that would cost some dough. You know how cheap our kind can be! :p

Karl
                      Last edited by Safety Guy; 10-15-2012, 06:42 PM.

Comment

If anything, donut rims are made tougher (and thus more speed-friendly) than their ordinary counterparts. The speed limit is solely due to tire construction and the fact that there's a huge amount of stress on the casing, with little air volume or outside surface area to take up the heat that results from running a bias tire at speed, especially one that's been sitting in a trunk for x years.

Comment

Tommychu's right about what he said...
                          I want to say it's an old rally car trick you know, back in the day, because of the inherent strength... to get skinny (4") but stay strong for the ice and snow stages!?
                          I don't want all the tricks to get out

Man, I've seen a lot of Brand new space savers when I'm looking at them, I'm talking just wax em up clean. That's gotta count for something!
                          Last edited by iceracerdude; 10-15-2012, 09:23 PM.
                          97 Aspire w/K03 turbocharged b6 SOHC
                          CoolingMist Varicool II Meth injection
                          Phantom gripped and cryo'ed 5 speed

Comment

Draggers use them as well on non-drive wheels to save weight.

I use them with normal tires on trailers.

I've driven on 4 donut rims with normal tires.

I've used them on Go-Karts at high speeds, including some serious burnout time, and they actually seem to hold up better than "normal" wheels to humps, bumps, and hits.

Comment

also, Mazda sold some of the FC rx7's with alloy space savers and some of those are 4x4.5" lug pattern (I have one at my house) they are made by Enkei and seem very strong. They are 15" though.
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X