Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wife's speedo off, reads 7mph fast from 45mph on up, change tire sizes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife's speedo off, reads 7mph fast from 45mph on up, change tire sizes?

I used the speedo app on my phone to get the difference. The original speedo in her car was jacked up, so I installed another one off a different car, but the 'new' speedo showed a lot higher milage than her original one, so I put her odometer in the 'new' speedo, but the speed is off quite a bit. From 45 on up is about 7 mph off, below that its around 5 mph off, obviously there is a 6 mph off range in there.

I pulled the speedo and jacked with the little silver arms but couldn't get it to really do anything different, it would change 1-2 mph.

So, with the thought of a taller tire causing the speedo to read slower, my idea is to get it closer with a cooler set of rims and tires. I want to stay with a more common tire size, dunno whether to go 15" or 16", 205-50-16 looks pretty close, wanted thoughts from the collective.
    1963 Fairlane - future NSS drag car
    1965 Mustang Coupe - A-code car, restoring for/with my son
    1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
    1996 Sonoma X-cab - son's DD
    2002 Grand Prix - daughter's DD
    2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
    2005 Accord - wife's DD
    2008 Mountaineer - step daughter's DD
    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
    I used the speedo app on my phone to get the difference. The original speedo in her car was jacked up, so I installed another one off a different car, but the 'new' speedo showed a lot higher milage than her original one, so I put her odometer in the 'new' speedo, but the speed is off quite a bit. From 45 on up is about 7 mph off, below that its around 5 mph off, obviously there is a 6 mph off range in there.

I pulled the speedo and jacked with the little silver arms but couldn't get it to really do anything different, it would change 1-2 mph.

So, with the thought of a taller tire causing the speedo to read slower, my idea is to get it closer with a cooler set of rims and tires. I want to stay with a more common tire size, dunno whether to go 15" or 16", 205-50-16 looks pretty close, wanted thoughts from the collective.
    what size tires are on the car now?
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Kumho 155/80-12 same as everything else.
      1973 F100 longbed - only 22k original miles, 360/auto, disk, PS/PB dealer in dash A/C
      2003 Sport Trac - 180k, 130k on replaced motor with new timing chains - F/S soon.
      2005 Accord - wife's DD
      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

then I would say the speedo is messed up. No way with those tires should it be off that much or at all. !45/80 /12's is what was original back in the day...but with the 155/80/12's on every car I ever checked it on...it was spot on with the speedo and tripometer.
        89L Silver EFI auto
        91GL Green Auto DD
        I will sleep when I die!
        I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Re: Wife's speedo off, reads 7mph fast from 45mph on up, change tire sizes?

Larry, go 14" with 165/65 R14's.
          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
            Larry, go 14" with 165/65 R14's.
            will not fix his speedo
            89L Silver EFI auto
            91GL Green Auto DD
            I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Re: Wife's speedo off, reads 7mph fast from 45mph on up, change tire sizes?

Typo. 165/55R14
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                lol...still will not fix it. It is not right...if it is off with the tires he has on it then even if he puts tires on it that make it show right...he will still be going a different speed. Something is wrong with his speedo.
                89L Silver EFI auto
                91GL Green Auto DD
                I will sleep when I die!

Comment

there's a clutch-like actuator that drives the needle for the speedo... if there has been any oil or other lube forced into that clutch, it'll drive the indicated speed up. but it'll be more linear (ie 5mph off at 20 and 10mph at 60 and 20 @ 90). it seems to me that there is a mechanical "clocking" issue that needs resolved. where does the needle sit at rest?
                  Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                  94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I know the speedo is off, but if it's on, and I put too big a tire it'll read slow. But now it's reading fast, so my thought is if I put a bigger tire on it to slow the speedo down close to correct.

I once tried to cut my bangs in college, the hair kept sweeping out in front of the scissors and my bangs curved down, so I thought if I slanted the scissors up, it would cut straight. I was wrong, I had 1/4" bangs after that.

As I said before, I tried another speedo and it wasn't right either. I've been wanting different wheels and tires and want the speedo closer, figured this might work. What am I missing.
                    2005 Accord - wife's DD
                    2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                      there's a clutch-like actuator that drives the needle for the speedo... if there has been any oil or other lube forced into that clutch, it'll drive the indicated speed up. but it'll be more linear (ie 5mph off at 20 and 10mph at 60 and 20 @ 90). it seems to me that there is a mechanical "clocking" issue that needs resolved. where does the needle sit at rest?
                      2005 Accord - wife's DD
                      2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Hampton View Post
                        I know the speedo is off, but if it's on, and I put too big a tire it'll read slow. But now it's reading fast, so my thought is if I put a bigger tire on it to slow the speedo down close to correct.

I once tried to cut my bangs in college, the hair kept sweeping out in front of the scissors and my bangs curved down, so I thought if I slanted the scissors up, it would cut straight. I was wrong, I had 1/4" bangs after that.

As I said before, I tried another speedo and it wasn't right either. I've been wanting different wheels and tires and want the speedo closer, figured this might work. What am I missing.
                        you will still be off with bugger tires...the speedo may seem right but you will actually be traveling further with bigger tires then what it is showing. I may not be thinking correctly but I do not think that you can fix it (and make it right) by putting different size tires on it.
                        89L Silver EFI auto
                        91GL Green Auto DD
                        I will sleep when I die!

Comment

Well, I pulled up a calculator, and it said if I put 205/50-16 on a speedo that was correct and ran 65, my speedo would read 58, so now with the stock tire and a bad speedo, I run 65 and the speedo reads 72, so if I put the bigger tires, it'll read close to right.
                          2005 Accord - wife's DD
                          2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Larry, that makes sense to me too.
                            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I know it's not the "right" way to fix it, but it does fit the needs I have with wanting a bigger, nicer tire combo for the wife's black GL. I'm trying to talk her into a BP swap as well. I'm looking at doing some trading for a '91 Protege auto.
                              2005 Accord - wife's DD
                              2015 F150 SCrew - DD

Comment

Working...
                              X