Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW coilover help

Hi,

Apologies, I'm sure this has been covered lots but I'm struggling to find anything complete and definitive. I've had a read through of the advanced suspension mods thread and managed to absorb a (small) proportion of the information which appears to confirm that it's possible but has been done using equipment not available to me and with the intention of driving hard. I'm just looking for lowness..

I'm UK based and have a 1.3 Kia Pride. This means that I also have access to fairly cheap VW coilovers. As VW stuff is all pretty intercompatible, I'd be looking to buy ones for a 6N Polo as the fronts are same as Mk2/3 Golf (or is that Rabbit for most of the readership here?) and the rears are the same fitment as Golf but I believe are shorter bodied.

So how much work is actually required to make them fit For the fronts-
    How close is the spacing of the bolt holes to the Pride/Festiva? Is it close enough that I could wiggle a drill about/slot a hole to make them fit, or would I need to move the holes entirely? I can weld and do basic fabrication if required. Is there a tried and tested combination of topmount parts, or one that will work straight off?

And Rears-
    Same question with the top mounts, and do they just bolt up other than that?

Cheers

Ben

I'm looking this also.
    I have just bought 121 soft top! But I want it low, but this seems little bit confusing. So much topics about suspension, but still I would say only little info in them.
    Golf 2 coilovers seem to fit with a little work, but what work they need?

And I live in finland, so ebay.de is "easy" to use for me. But more info is still needed.
    Hi! Do you wanna ride with me? I have red cabrio, it has the biggest engine what was available when the car was new. It also has about every possible accessories what was available then.
    It's -89 Mazda 121 with 1,3L carb engine banana time

Comment

There have been people here who have ovaled the holes in the lower mount to make the MK2/3 golf struts fit up front, so with a die grinder and some careful workmanship you should be able to make the fronts fit. The best option for strut mounts is 2002 kia Rio mounts with a bushing( some have used a piece of tubing ground to fit) between the strut and bearing to take up the slop. MK2 golf rear shocks are too long and will not ride well if the car is much lower than stock. You are better off lowering the stock rear shocks. How much shorter are Polo shocks? They may work perfectly. Good luck with your suspension!
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

There was a thread written up with plenty of info on using generic sleeves with your choice of spring rates on stock struts. Just make sure you DON'T use the non-metal hats that come with most eBay kits.
        Found it.
        Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
        91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Thanks guys. Between this and other threads on here I may have it figured.

what about rear top mounts? Any alterations needed there if I use VW? I guess its far less critical at the back.

I've mentioned 6n polo as fronts are mk2/3 golf and rear is mk1 golf which is the same as mk2/3 but around 3" shorter.
          Last edited by Ben711200; 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM.

Comment

I've been searching this forum some more and have managed to find a a couple of the more informative threads. As Maikel has said, there are a lot making reference to the mods but not as much providing specific info

Mk1/Mk2 Golf Adjusties started by Jimbo155

Coilovers from Mk2-3 Golf on Festiva write up started by Postman101

And Bustiva's Ksport Coilover conversion

Looks like I can just drill out the stock topmounts and add washers/spacers to take up any slack. Which is nice and cheap.

Comment

And one more that answers my questions on the rears. from Don SVA here

The more observant amongst you will have noticed that I quickly realised I was asking a pointless question because the info was there for me to find if I looked for it a bit harder (though hopefully I'll have highlighted the Mk1 Golf/6n Polo shorter rear struts to some that weren't already aware) and that I've shoved all the information in one place to make use of my otherwise useless thread for my own and others' reference. Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Ben711200 View Post
                Thanks guys. Between this and other threads on here I may have it figured.

what about rear top mounts? Any alterations needed there if I use VW? I guess its far less critical at the back.

I've mentioned 6n polo as fronts are mk2/3 golf and rear is mk1 golf which is the same as mk2/3 but around 3" shorter.

Need Advance Dynamics to amend this rear length, because then i could try to get the Mk2 front and the Mk1 Rear coilovers, perform minor fitting fab (don't have machine shop) and start ripping the corners.
                JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
                I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

Working...
                X