Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Suspension Upgrades

Energy Suspension 9.13103R.jpgFestiva Sway Bar.jpg

The new forum format is throwing me a curve ball.

I installed new drive axles in my Festiva, and decided to do some upgrades at the same time.

I'm happy to report that Energy Suspension makes a polyurethane boot that fits on the Festiva LCA; this is the first picture. It's part number 913103 (choice of black or red).

Second picture is my sway bar repainted, with Moog polyurethane bushings installed. The Energy Suspension bushings will work to attach the bar to the car, but I'm going to do some extensive modifications to the brackets first.
    Last edited by BigElCat; 11-21-2012, 08:36 PM.
    '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

cool...I will have to find some....they look like they will hold up better then the ones in the help section....they crack pretty quick.
    "FLTG4LIFE" @FINALLEVEL , "PBH"
    89L Silver EFI auto
    91GL Green Auto DD
    There ain't no rest for the wicked
    until we close our eyes for good.
    I will sleep when I die!
    I'm a little hunk of tin, nobody knows what shape I'm in. I've got four wheels and a running board, I'm not a Chevy, I'M A FORD!

Comment

Oh Snap

Front Studs.jpgI installed screw-in studs in the front hubs, to match the press-in studs in back.2972.jpg
      Last edited by BigElCat; 11-21-2012, 08:53 PM.
      '88 Festiva L, stock carby engine (with exhaust upgrade), 4 speed tranny. Aspire Struts and Springs, Capri 14" wheels, interior gutted, battery in back

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Moog Installed.jpg

These are the Moog polyurethane bushings. I think they're going to be awesome, but I haven't driven with them yet. I'm going to grease them up with Slick 50 'One Grease' (it has the teflon TFE in it).

Moog Box.jpg Part number K9737. $12.00 per side at O'Reilly.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

http://www.energysuspensionparts.com/thanks.asp

Here's the link to my Energy Suspension supplier. The boots for the LCA are $3.99 a pair. Fast shipping.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Oh yeah...Greetings Geneva! I'm all wrap up in posting pics right now...one more to go.

IMG_0955.jpg Part number 9.13103. I forgot the dot in the post above.

The boot takes a lot of thumb pressure to get it over the stud, but it fits well. I put this LCA in a vice, then ran the ball joint thru its range of motion. The boot stays on. I'm not expecting any trouble with it coming loose.
            Last edited by BigElCat; 11-21-2012, 09:29 PM.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Front End Work 11-22-12.jpg I put about 30 miles on the new parts. It looks like the ball joint cover is going to work fine. I really like the Moog LCA bushings, the front end is tighter and more responsive than with fresh rubber bushings.

I discovered a loose ball in the driver's side steering knuckle ('tie' rod end). I'll be getting some new ones.

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

So the Moog k9737 bushings work on festiva and aspire sway bars? I have them on my aspire right now too. Thanks for getting all these part numbers in a single thread, your front end looks good! Now you just need some red cv boots haha..
                Last edited by zoom zoom; 11-22-2012, 09:17 PM.
                2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
                1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
                1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
                1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
                1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
                1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
                1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

What about the bushings on the subframe side? This is awesome was looking at an upgrade like this!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
                    So the Moog k9737 bushings work on festiva and aspire sway bars? I have them on my aspire right now too. Thanks for getting all these part numbers in a single thread, your front end looks good! Now you just need some red cv boots haha..
                    The Moog k9737 work with the stock Festiva sway bar. My front end is all stock except for the Aspire struts. The Aspire struts bolt-on using smaller diameter grade 8 bolts in the top holes. Zoom on bro!

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Originally posted by festyfreak39 View Post
                      What about the bushings on the subframe side? This is awesome was looking at an upgrade like this!!!!!!!!
                      Energy Suspension Bar Mounts.jpg

These are going require beefed up gussets and the slots welded closed. Also, they're going to stick down about 2" lower than the stock brackets. They'll be at risk for smashing into curbs, etc. I have plans for a bolt-on skid plate to protect them, and the studs that go through the sub-frame.

We'll have to wait to see if the project works out. Ya'all may be calling me 'Big El Mouse' before long hmmmmmm

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

The Moog bushings are actually a thermoplastic I believe, not urethane. Probably better, since they don't squeak. They do make a noticeable difference however. I installed them on mine several years ago. Instead of the urethane boots, I wrapped my tie rod ends and lower ball joints with some of the silicone self fusing "super repair" tape. It worked great and still looks good after several years...really does a good job of protecting the factory boots and keeping out water and dirt. I love the stuff, and it's cheap and can be used on anything.
                        Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
                        04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
                        62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
                        Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

These cars, by virtue of their age, are increasingly becoming 'incidental drivers', instead of DDs (daily drivers) like they were designed to be. Understandable, sort of, in this age of consumerism and aversion to risk mentality but the 'all glass' view from anywhere you sit in one has got to be part of the magic of owning a Festy as far as I'm concerned. Festys were uber-practical cars until politics and liability-conscious safety legislators got involved in trying to turn 'cars' into 'space craft'. When this team of ever-evolving and even more spineless bureaucrats moves on in a quest to improve golf carts and 4 wheelers (and likely even recommending there be 2 more wheels, for safety sake, on motorcycles), then I don't know where this business is going to end.
                          Public transit only?

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            the 'all glass' view from anywhere you sit in one has got to be part of the magic of owning a Festy as far as I'm concerned.
                            Luv the visibility, the ride height, and the head room. The Festiva is an uber-design all the way 'round!

'92 Geo Metro XFi

'87 Suzuki Samurai

'85 F150, modded 300cid

Comment

Quick one, it says Rear Ball Joint Dust Boots, same thing right?
                              JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
                              I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

Working...
                              X