Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ATTN for all 03-05 Rio brake swappers IMPORTANT READ THIS.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ATTN for all 03-05 Rio brake swappers IMPORTANT READ THIS.

Since theres a real interest in this this is an info that I failed to communicate.

the RIO front brake swap will change your bolt patern , just like if you do a aspire swap. I never told this because my wheels are aftermarket and does both bolt paterns.

I realized it would be a problem for some people.

I also dont know if the 10" brakes fits 12" wheels.

I hope this clears out this issue.

Hmm 10" would help me break better for autox. uggh not another project to add to the list

Comment

ATTN for all 03-05 Rio brake swappers IMPORTANT READ THIS.

I guess I'm the type to stick with what works, My aspire brakes are good enough to stop hard enough to lift the rear end of my festiva (this was when I had a B6T)

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
      1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
      2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Originally posted by Damkid View Post
        I guess I'm the type to stick with what works, My aspire brakes are good enough to stop hard enough to lift the rear end of my festiva (this was when I had a B6T)
        The upside is there is 5 03-05 Kia Rios in the wrecking yard...and they trashed the last Aspire
        1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
        2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

When you say "changes the bolt pattern" does that mean you still get 4 x 100mm like Aspire/00-02 Rio/Honda/Toyota/Hyundai/Mazda/VW etc or are you saying 03-05 Rio is altogether different again? Most of us already know Festy bolt patterns are no where near as common, at 4 1/2 inch x 4.

Comment

All Rios should retain the 4 X 100mm pattern. I'm not sure about the centerbore, but the pattern shouldn't have changed.

Right now I believe there are four common, readily accomplished (ie. no special machining or fab work) front brake upgrades for Festivas:

MTX Aspire (4 X 100, 9.25" vented rotors)

ATX Aspire, the same as early Rio (4 X 100, 9.25" vented rotors that are about 3mm thicker than the MTX version)

Late Rio (4 X 100mm, 10" vented rotors, needs newer Rio knuckle swap to work)

Capri (requires Aspire LCAs & sway bar, Capri knuckles, and keeps the 4 X 114.3 bolt pattern)

I may be missing some details above, but those are the basic "easy" swaps for the different front brake options.

My guess is the newer Rio 10" rotors will require use of 14" wheels, and some 14" wheels may not fit. You're on your own there.

Karl
            Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-09-2012, 02:26 PM.
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
            X