Lug bolt shank and taper help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lug bolt shank and taper help

Ok so im gonna be putting some 185/55/12's on my car here soon and i was wondering, If i put on some 1/4 wheel spacers and then buy some 25mm shank lug bolts, should i get cone tapered ends or ball tapered. I figured ball tapered would work better for seating the wheel correctly without taper play. Any suggestions?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk

Where did you get 185/55-12s??

The type of lug nuts or bolts you use depends on what the wheel calls for. My VW alloys need ball seats, while my AR Estrellas and factory wheels take 60 degree cone shaped ones.

Did you mean 185/55-13s? If so, where are you at and where did you get this desirable tire size?

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 12-12-2012, 03:37 PM.
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Re: Lug bolt shank and taper help

discount tire direct has 185/55/12's or at least thats what i was told. i have yet tp do further investigation. do you think 4x114.3 to 4x100 wheel spacers are a good idea? i found those on ebay

170k+ B3 Festiva L slo-kart.

Comment

Originally posted by B3Festiva View Post
        Ok so im gonna be putting some 185/55/12's on my car here soon and i was wondering, If i put on some 1/4 wheel spacers and then buy some 25mm shank lug bolts, should i get cone tapered ends or ball tapered. I figured ball tapered would work better for seating the wheel correctly without taper play. Any suggestions?

Sent from my LS670 using Tapatalk
        You actually found new 12s! And in some exotic size that no one has ever heard of. What Country do you hail from? OEM Festys, and Aspires have cone seat lug nuts. Take a close look at whatever rims you've got; both types of lug nuts will work but one will seat much better than the other. In Ontario, during the winter, it's easy to tell; rust on the lug nuts tells you the bolts don't fully seat on the rims.

Comment

Re: Lug bolt shank and taper help

yeah after looking the biggest i could find for 12's were 165/65-12. Im just gonna do the 185/60/13 civic wheels with the 4x114 to 4x100 wheel spacers.

170k+ B3 Festiva L slo-kart.

Comment

I think you got some numbers switched around. I think they meant 155/85R12 not 185/55R12.
            Brian

93L - 5SP, FMS springs, 323 alloys, 1st gen B6, ported head & intake, FMS cam, ported exhaust manifold w/2-1/4" head pipe.
            04 Mustang GT, 5SP, CAI, TFS plenum, 70mm TB, catted X, Pypes 304SS cat-back, Hurst Billet+ shifter, SCT/Bama tuned....4.10's & cams coming soon
            62 Galaxie 2D sedan project- 428, 3x2V, 4SP, 3.89TLOC

1 wife, 2 kids, 9 dogs, 4 cats......
            Not enough time or money for any of them

Comment

Working...
            X