Decision time regarding wheels.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decision time regarding wheels.

I have been running with Toyota 13"x5" alloy wheels for quite a while now. I've had no clearance issues on the back but the front was a different matter. Wheels weights mounted on the inside rim would hit the steering knuckle and strut mounting flange. I was running KYB GR2's all round but changed the rears out to Tein coilovers. As mentioned in another post I discovered that the front shocks were shot so decided to install the Teins up front as well.

There is a lot more "meat" in the mounting flanges of the Teins than on the KYBs. I can't run the alloys because they will hit the strut flange. I have a set of 14" alloys that will clear all suspension components front and rear but with the tires that are currently on them I have serious fender rubbing issues on the rear.

Here's a couple of photos of what I'm up against...

No spacers: steering knuckle hits wheel weights. KYBs were filed down to match knuckle

Tein mounted to knuckle

Amount I would have to remove view 1

Amount I would have to remove view 2

The big question... can I safely remove the material indicated?

I have a couple of options to consider.

1. Retain the 13" wheels, run them with no spacer, modify the strut flanges.
    2. Retain the 13" wheels but install a 5 or 6mm spacer. The issue with this is I can't use the universal type spacer as they push the centerbore of the wheel past the hub so would have to purchase hubcentric spacers at a higher cost.
    3. Go with the 14" wheels and modify the rear fender area or see if a smaller tire (currently shod with 185-55R14) would eliminate the rubbing.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Here's the car with the 14" wheels...

And with the 13" wheels...

Thanks
    Last edited by fastivaca; 12-18-2012, 01:20 AM.
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

a 1/4 inch spacer and stick on wheel weights should solve your problems...

Mike, AKA the sasquatch
    1990 LX, bp+T/g25mr, 9psi dynoed at 194HP, turbonetics t3/to4e 57trim, haltech E6X standalone, 550cc injectors, turbosmart wastegate, synapse BOV, walbro 255 fuel pump, aeromotive FPR, AEM wideband, 3 inch exhaust, huge FMIC, 9LB flywheel, 6 puck clutch and way more parts that im forgetting i installed lol...

Comment

I like the 14" rim look.....

.....of couse, I am partial to 14's...... its what I have!.:highly_amused:
      Last edited by drddan; 12-18-2012, 06:00 AM.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

I like the style of the 13" wheels better
        Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
        Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
        Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
        WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

I like the 14's
          -Josh R

Comment

I like the style of the 13's better. More oldschool, less mainstream...

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
            1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
            1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
            1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
            1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Re: Decision time regarding wheels.

Ian, these tires may help you immensely: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=221090128132

165/55R14. Don't be fooled by the stock image. They are in 1% of the stock OD, so your speedo will be accurate. These are significantly thinner and are designed for use on a 6" wide wheel. They have a QTOG rating of 380.
              Last edited by DriverOne; 12-18-2012, 10:48 AM.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Re: Decision time regarding wheels.

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                Ian, these tires may help you immensely: http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...d=221090128132

165/55R14. Don't be fooled by the stock image. They are in 1% of the stock OD, so your speedo will be accurate. These are significantly thinner and are designed for use on a 6" wide wheel. They have a QTOG rating of 380.
                Thanks for that info DriverOne!

I'm rather partial to the 13" wheels and the wide tread. I've found a Canadian company that makes hubcentric spacers and have sent them a quote request. I'll let you know what they come back with.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                Ian
                Calgary AB, Canada

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Comment

fastivaca -

I'd do whatever it took to go with the 14's. Much cooler looking if you ask me....

Good luck!
                  88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
                  88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
                  91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
                  93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

The 13s are more unique and make the car look lower. Me gusta :-)
                    -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                    -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Decision made....

I'm going to stick with the 13" wheels. I've ordered 10mm hubcentric spacers from Novustech in Cambridge ON. I'll post pictures when they arrive.

All that being said I'm going to sell the 14" wheels and tires and will start a thread in the appropriate section.

Thanks for all the input, it is appreciated.
                      Ian
                      Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Spacers arrived today!

Spacers arrived today :toothy8:. Still waiting on the longer studs. Here's a couple of photos as promised...

Wheel side: uploadfromtaptalk1357590882243.jpg

Hub side: uploadfromtaptalk1357590893057.jpg

Spacers are from Novustech.ca

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                        Last edited by fastivaca; 01-07-2013, 03:50 PM.
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Are they the stock knuckles?
                          Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
                          I have been running with Toyota 13"x5" alloy wheels for quite a while now. I've had no clearance issues on the back but the front was a different matter. Wheels weights mounted on the inside rim would hit the steering knuckle and strut mounting flange. I was running KYB GR2's all round but changed the rears out to Tein coilovers. As mentioned in another post I discovered that the front shocks were shot so decided to install the Teins up front as well.

There is a lot more "meat" in the mounting flanges of the Teins than on the KYBs. I can't run the alloys because they will hit the strut flange. I have a set of 14" alloys that will clear all suspension components front and rear but with the tires that are currently on them I have serious fender rubbing issues on the rear.

Here's a couple of photos of what I'm up against...

No spacers: steering knuckle hits wheel weights. KYBs were filed down to match knuckle

Tein mounted to knuckle

Amount I would have to remove view 1

Amount I would have to remove view 2

The big question... can I safely remove the material indicated?

I have a couple of options to consider.

1. Retain the 13" wheels, run them with no spacer, modify the strut flanges.
                          2. Retain the 13" wheels but install a 5 or 6mm spacer. The issue with this is I can't use the universal type spacer as they push the centerbore of the wheel past the hub so would have to purchase hubcentric spacers at a higher cost.
                          3. Go with the 14" wheels and modify the rear fender area or see if a smaller tire (currently shod with 185-55R14) would eliminate the rubbing.

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Here's the car with the 14" wheels...

And with the 13" wheels...

Thanks

Comment

^^^ The knuckles are from a '94 Aspire.
                            Ian
                            Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Long overdue update

Hello all,

Here's an update on the clearance issue, or should I say former clearnace issue. I was originally running with 40mm long studs which were as short as I could go and have a safe amount of thread for the lug nuts. Since I'm adding the 10mm spacers I needed longer studs so I picked up both 45mm & 55mm ones to try out. The 45's turned out to be too close as far as available thread length so I went with the longer ones. I was a little concerned the may be too long but that wasn't the case. Disregard the brake disc, that's an old one I used just to check things out. I also just rebuilt the hub for the driver's side so it gave me the opportunity to get some clearer photos before I put it back on the car. Anyway... here goes

Rebuilt hub with longer studs installed.

With the spacer installed

Lots of thread left for the lug nuts to grab

Lots of clearance at the wheel weights compared to what it was before!

I'm going to be installing the hub later tonight so I'll take a couple photos to show the clearance at the coilovers. Hopefully I won't have any further issues at that point but if I do there shouldn't have to remove too much material to get the clearance I need.

Cheers
                              Ian
                              Calgary AB, Canada

Comment

Working...
                              X