Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stock Set-up and 15 x 6.5 Wheels: Too Big?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
    i run a 14x6 +35mm with a 185/60 tire, i had to roll the fenders. You plan to run a 10mm wider tire, you will also have to roll your fenders.
    Crap. :nightmare:

Don't want to roll the fenders.

How in the heck did 'thirdman' get away with NOT rolling his fenders? From what I can tell in the pix, he didn't roll his? (I PM'd him a long time ago and asked him if he did but never got a response.)

How much would aftermarket coilovers help the situation?

Yeah, if there's no friggin way around it then it is what it is but if new coilovers would solve it, I'm game....
    Last edited by Twistiva; 01-07-2013, 01:18 AM.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

what the coil overs do is shrink the size of the spring perch allowing you to push the wheel in further and thus negating the need to roll you fender (to a point).
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Dont forget once you get your heavy wheels you will need to go to a stud setup... well maybe not with steelies
        Last edited by Flyin4stroke; 01-07-2013, 10:32 AM.
        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
          what the coil overs do is shrink the size of the spring perch allowing you to push the wheel in further and thus negating the need to roll you fender (to a point).
          Any idea as to average cost of aftermarket coil overs?

And, we're talking just about the rears, correct?

Last, any guesses as to my question about how 'thirdman' was able to not roll his fenders?

Sorry for the million questions. I drive 'em, just learning how to work on 'em....

Thx!

Comment

Originally posted by Flyin4stroke View Post
            Dont forget once you get your heavy wheels you will need to go to a stud setup... well maybe not with steelies
            Wheels are aluminum.

Why not just buy longer lugs?

Here's what 'thirdman' used: 12mm x 1.50 Conical Seat 27mm lug bolts (stock bolts up front). He didn't report any problems.

Not saying you're wrong, just don't understand your reasoning.

Comment

Re: Stock Set-up and 15 x 6.5 Wheels: Too Big?

Twistiva, it's good to ask questions. The coilover setup would be necessary on all four corners. Our springs are some 4" across. Coilovers are usually 2.5" across. That means that you could theoretically use the wheels without needing spacers at all. That MIGHT be enough to keep you from rolling your fenders, but I'll take this a step further and suggest that you do not use a 195/45R15, but instead use a 165/50R15. http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewi...assified=false The 7" tire will cause you issues, but this tire is intended for a 6" wide wheel. Since yours is a half inch wider, you will have what is called stretch, because the sidewalls of the tires will extend a quarter inch beyond flush. This is ok, and will give you a better chance of mounting your assembly because you won't have the 7" tire under there, you'll have a 6" tire that the Festiva is a lot more capable of using. See in this image how the tires fit the wheels? That's how they'll fit yours. In fact, the car will sit like that with the coilovers on it if you so choose.

Festyboy, it's the Civic strut mount design that you don't have to alter, isn't it? I know that the Golf mount requires a redrilling.

Oh yeah... Even though your wheels are aluminum, they may weigh more than the steel wheels. It would help a lot if we knew exactly which wheels you had in mind.
              Last edited by DriverOne; 01-07-2013, 11:54 AM.
              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Driver, AFAIK you can't use the civic strut as it is too short, and the golf struts need a collet spacer in the rear and re-drill in the front to work. the other option is to modify the factory strut perches by trimming them down to the diameter of the screw sets used and running 200 and 175 x10" springs (F/R). the other option i've seen is using 323 (BF) struts up front.
                Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                  Twistiva........It would help a lot if we knew exactly which wheels you had in mind.
                  DriverOne -

Here you go:

What say you?

Comment

Re: Stock Set-up and 15 x 6.5 Wheels: Too Big?

That's a nice rim! Yeah, I can see why you want to go that route. You'll do well with a set of coilovers. That should be the solution to your offset and fender rubbing issue, along with those 165/50R15 tires.
                    Last edited by DriverOne; 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM.
                    In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                    There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                      That's a nice rim! Yeah, I can see why you want to go that route. You'll do well with a set of coilovers. That should be the solution to your offset and fender rubbing issue, along with those 165/50R15 tires.
                      Glad you approve! :thumbs_up:

The sad part is they don't make that exact wheel anymore. Stopped selling them several months ago. They make one that is the same design but they paint the center section of each of the spokes black. I like the silver so if I buy it I'll have to paint the black silver. What a pain.....:cry_smile: Sounds idiotic but that's how that exact wheel was sold; natural metal/machined finish on the raised areas and painted silver for everything else. Don't know why they didn't just leave it ALL a natural metal/machined silver surface. To me, that would have looked SUPERB!

Think I'm gonna go for it. Buy some aftermarket coilovers and see what happens. For me, rolling the fenders is not an option so if I just can't get it to fit I'll have to sell them.

Thanks, guys, to everyone for all your help on this!

Comment

Working...
                      X