VW mk2/mk3 suspension swap help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VW mk2/mk3 suspension swap help

Im really looking into considering the parts are easily available, but im not looking to really modifiy anything because i dont have machines to do so. Im not looking to go lower at all. Im just looking for stiffer suspension considering the car is going to be a rallycross car

Are you asking about VWs or are you toying with VW part swaps into a Festiva? Now that FMS (FestivaMotorSport) is extinct the cheapest/easiest way to go is Aspire (94-97) springs all around (00-01 Rio springs on the front, if you have to gather parts from different sources). Folks on here have adapted VW springs and struts but I don't think it is a simple 1-2-3 to accomplish.

Comment

Try Kia Rio struts, springs, strut bearings and spindles/brakes since you don't want the car to be lower. I would also recommend leaving the stock Festiva sway bar in the front but upgrading to an aspire beam and rear brakes. Rear aspire springs shouldn't be too bad for rallycross, but I would use KYB GR2 shocks for the aspire (same part number as the Festiva). I think there have been people who have used the front Festiva springs in the rear, but I have no experience with this. The Rio parts will be early rio, up to 2002 I believe. This setup will leave you with 4x100 lug pattern, so you'll need different wheels, but luckily 4x100 is a better pattern for a race car anyway because it's easier to find spare wheels.

The VW strut mod requires some fab tools and it has to be done right if your planning on really thrashing the car. Other possible choices are mazda 323/protege 1985-1988 (bf) but this will also require some fabrication tools and the use of a coilover sleeve like ground control makes. The BF 323/ protege springs are too wide of a diameter and will rub your tires. The spring perches need to be cut off and then you need to use coilover sleeves and 2.5" diameter springs. Rio is probably your best bet.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 01-11-2013, 11:04 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
      X