So I modified my Tokicos...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I modified my Tokicos...

Like the title said... While our main mechanic Bill was busy working on the body modifications on the BP, I decided to get to work on the suspension. So in the rear we decided to Frankenstein a few parts together, Bill did some welding, and here are the results. Sorry I didn't remember to take pictures till they were already mounted in the car.

Here's some Mazda suspension a friend of ours gave us.

For comparison, here's a shot of our old ride height.

AAAANNNNND TADA! Little bit higher than I honestly wanted, but it's going to have to work. These are NOT while jacked up in the back... That's the actual ride height.

For those of you wondering what it is. Tokico Illuminas (not sure the part number), with Eibach 250lb/in springs with inner diameter 2.5" Spring Length 8". Clearance to fender with new tires on will be about... 7-9 inches.
    Beware the Baja Rally Festiva LOL....

Car #789
    Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group
    1992 Festiva L - BP Swapped, Aspire Swapped, Rally America Sanctioned.
    1993 Festiva GL - 4sp Automatic and the bluest car i've ever seen...
    http://www.facebook.com/warally

Always encouraged 'not to see' folks 'slamming' an otherwise perfectly useful car. Having the oil sump, fuel and brake lines dragging on the pavement, all in the name of looks, never did anything for me. I know nothing about spring rates (are your kidneys going to stay in place?) and I hope you can make use of enhanced suspension travel with this new set up.

Comment

That is an awfully tall car with an awfully short wheelbase... Do you think if you attacked that corner like in your before picture, you'd stay on 2-wheels with the current setup?

Http://www.Youtube.com/TheresGabe

1991 Festiva L Red: Daily Driver
      1990 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
      1988 Festiva L Silver: R.I.P.
      1991 Festiva L Red B6T: R.I.P.
      1989 Festiva L White: R.I.P.
      1995 Aspire 2-door White: R.I.P.
      1995 Aspire 4-door Red: R.I.P.

Comment

Re: So I modified my Tokicos...

I would at least change your LCA's with Aspire units, and get some camber bolts. Otherwise you're going to have positive camber like crazy!
        In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
        There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

We'd like to but there's no aspire really worth anything nearby that i've found yet. we damn near ruined our Control arms yesterday trying to replace the bushings. I can't get any in so we are going to just have to deal with what happens here and hope for the best. It was a lot taller than I expected, but with the height and width of the rally tires on the 14s its about all we can do since they only come in that one size...

Car #789
          Sponsors: Williams American Construction, Dewaynes Tire service, Roofing Supply Group

Comment

going to need the long travel left inner cv from an aspire.
            Not enough threads left in the tie rod, mod or aspire
            as above, mod or aspire lower control arms.

I love the clearance for boondocking out here, I have more
            clearance than my lifted chevy with 37 inch tires.

Gabe, it may not corner like you guys that build for racing but
            with the wider front stance and good tires it corners better
            than the car ever did with the twelves.
            Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

We still have some equipment to load in the back, and the other tires will cut out about 2 inches. I'm hoping it doesn't roll on attack but our fronts will still be about the same ride height, its gonna look goofy, but better than the other option where if we left the ground the springs did not sit at all but just fall out and be loose. Hopefully since there isn't a lot of traction on gravel cornering anyways i may just be able to hook the front tire in the ditch and let the back slide around with the power from the BP pulling it forward.

Car #789

Comment

The Aspire LCA is also the Rio LCA (01 & 02). Rockauto has them for $47/ea. With that kind of height, I would suggest 0-offset, 7" wide, 14" rims with 195/60R14's, trimmed fenders, and Miata flares.
                Last edited by DriverOne; 01-27-2013, 02:13 PM.
                In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                X