Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FMS lowering springs stock wheels rubbing (Aspire)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nautical_lifens
    so are they just to soft then cause i carry the spare, dont know why and then my 12" and amp. If there that soft and my tires will scrub everything is it even worth lowering
    I seem to be the first person to ever develop this problem. It could also be strut related (like I got a bad pair).

All I know is considering how badly those things rusted on last time....I ain't taking them off again!

I may do it the ghetto way and get those "spring helpers". You now, the little spacers you bolt in the middle of the spring.

Are the 35 mm (festiva) springs a different rate then the 40 mm springs? Because I'm pretty sure I got the 40 mm drop springs (Aspire), but maybe I got the 35 and they're not as strong.
    www.dantheoilman.com
    AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
    Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
    Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

You don't have your bumpstops in.(the nasty yellow looking pieces that go on the strut rod that limits how far the car will drop - and prevent this from happening. they are made of urethane) You probably didn't put them in because of the lowering springs. If you pull the springs out and leave them in (the bumpstops) they will still keep the car high enough to not allow the tires to rub regurdless of whether or not springs are installed. The struts will fully compress after the tire would be rubbing so the dampener is not the problem(strut/shock). You just need to reinstall the bumpstops.
      HENRY
      Fast, fun and good gas mileage. 91' Festiva(RIP) and 96' Aspire(RIP). The website is no more.

Comment

SOB!

I had them "professionally" installed. He must not have swapped that part over. =(
        www.dantheoilman.com
        AMSOIL dealer and window tinter.
        Trust me folks, you need www.auto-rx.com
        Go ahead and ask me why

Comment

anyone know where to get (preferably new) the coil spring isolators (the rubber spacers on top and bottom of the springs) ?
          "Nothing's gonna grieve us
          When we drive Festivas
          I could go a hundred miles an hour
          Long as I got the Almighty Power
          With my plastic Jesus
          Riding on the dashboard of my car"

Comment

I was thinking what Festivagt was saying. Check for the presence of your bumpstops, which should be at the top of the strut rod. You'll probably have to move the strut covers to see.

Karl
            '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
            '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
            '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
            '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
            '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
            X