X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MK2 Coilovers - Bolt in swap?

Hey guys,

Are MK2 Golf coilovers a bolt-in swap?
    Or what will need to be custom built/modified?

I want to pull the trigger on this set of racelands.

Cheers!
    1993 Ford Festiva "Superleggera" 5-Speed

McMaster Engineering Custom Vehicle Team

No they need some slight modification done to them to fit, look at advance dynamics stickied thread in the suspension section it's titled "advanced suspension mods"
    91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
    Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
    Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

this is another writeup

-90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
      -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
        It looks like all you did was drill out the bolt holes in the coilovers?

Comment

Originally posted by Panici View Post
          Hey guys,

Are MK2 Golf coilovers a bolt-in swap?
          Or what will need to be custom built/modified?

I want to pull the trigger on this set of racelands.

Cheers!
          Panici -

What's your motivation for buying these coilovers? Trying to make room in your wheel well for a wider tire? If so, how much extra room do you expect to gain?

Asking the question because I just bought some 15 x 6.5 wheels and 195/45/15 tires for my second Festiva and coilovers is one recommendation to make them fit without rolling my fenders.
          88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
          88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
          91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
          93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
            Panici - What's your motivation for buying these coilovers?
            Replacement for tired factory components, height adjustability, stiffer spring rates. Car is going to be competing in Autocross events.

Back on topic.
            So all that needs to be done is drill out the bolt holes in the coilovers?
            Last edited by Panici; 02-25-2013, 10:55 AM.

Comment

Replacement for tired factory components, height adjustability, stiffer spring rates. Car is going to be competing in Autocross events.

Back on topic.

Panici -

PM-ing you so I don't hijack your thread....
              88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
              88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
              91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
              93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

Comment

Back on topic.
                So all that needs to be done is drill out the bolt holes in the coilovers?[/QUOTE]

There's a link posted above. I followed those same instructions and it work out pretty good for me.
                Last edited by sam; 02-25-2013, 11:22 AM.

Comment

theyre not much smaller in diameter to stock shocks if clearance is your thing. i doubt youd gain much

the bottom crush tube on the rears needs grinding, i ground one side more than the other to clear the swingarm and used washers to close the gap

the rears are a different suspension design to ours, we use the strut tower as a spring seat, mk1 mk2 seem to have an upper spring seat then a decent sized bush between the seat and tower. coilover spring didnt fit my tower properly so ive kept the upper spring seat and used stock rubber bushes between it and the tower. theyre too small and you need to tighten em good to stop a slight thunk back there. ill fix it when i have time i can make a bush to suit but seems fine for now

front needs a hole slotted where it bolts to the knuckle and mine needed the top mount drilled out a little. think thats all
                  DB103

Comment

I just bought the set of racelands. I'll report back as to how we get them to fit.

Comment

I just bought the set of racelands. I'll report back as to how we get them to fit.
                      Take plenty of pics and document everything you do, I have been looking at the racelands
                      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
                      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
                      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
                      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Originally posted by Festevil3 View Post
                        Take plenty of pics and document everything you do, I have been looking at the racelands
                        +2
                        JAMAICA TO THE WORLD
                        I don't complain, i just come plain.

Comment

Working...
                        X