Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking to get New Suspension for my 93 Festiva

Hey guys,
    I'm looking at replacing my suspension on my 93 Festiva. This is my DD and I'm not looking at building it anytime soon. I drive it in place of my full size dodge to save on fuel. So I'm fine with going with an OEM replacement, but I want to know what brand I should look into. I don't want to spend a fortune but the car has over 243,000 miles on it.

Thank,
    Z

Do you mean new struts and shocks or a complete new suspension using a mix of new parts and used parts from a newer car?
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Just new Struts/shocks

Comment

Comment

If you don't need springs and don't want a huge swap to deal with, get some KYB GR-2 struts for the rear and a set of the KYB GR-2's from a 01 Kia Rio up front. Be sure to buy some Moog Strut mounts for the Rio as well and some Moog Festiva rear strut mounts! I can list the part numbers if you like. Rock Auto would probably be your best bet for decent deals.
          93 Ford Festiva L 5 speed: In process of fixing PO's negligence

Comment

KYB Part # 340009 $36.79 each (FESTIVA REAR STRUT) You need two of these.
            KYB Part # SM5139 $15.25 (FESTIVA REAR STRUT MOUNT) You need two of these.
            KYB Part # 333503 $53.79 (KIA RIO FRONT LEFT STRUT)
            KYB Part # 333502 $53.79 (KIA RIO FRONT RIGHT STRUT)
            MOOG Part # K80910 $32.79 you need two of these.

Grand total of: $$277.24 + shipping. And you get a stiffer strut and a strut mount with a bearing to make steering take less effort!

Comment

Originally posted by standard235 View Post
              KYB Part # 340009 $36.79 each (FESTIVA REAR STRUT) You need two of these.
              KYB Part # SM5139 $15.25 (FESTIVA REAR STRUT MOUNT) You need two of these.
              KYB Part # 333503 $53.79 (KIA RIO FRONT LEFT STRUT)
              KYB Part # 333502 $53.79 (KIA RIO FRONT RIGHT STRUT)
              MOOG Part # K80910 $32.79 you need two of these.

Grand total of: $$277.24 + shipping. And you get a stiffer strut and a strut mount with a bearing to make steering take less effort!

Thanks man! Major help!

Comment

There ya go! That is a good direction. Sometimes Monroe gives a buy 3 get one free sale and Monroe is okay but ?
                I run them but ?
                The other brands are more of a direct copy of original.

Monroe seems to get warrantied more often but I think it is because warranty is so easy with Monroe. Monroe is not a copy of original but works fine.
                Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

I know the KYB GR2's are supposed to be 15% stiffer than stock... I would imagine the Rio strut is stiffer than the Festy shock ANYWAYS, so this should yield a decently firm ride without being too harsh.

Comment

You could save some dough if you found a good used set of front Rio struts and mounts in a 'yard. I'm running used Rio struts and mounts in front on AquaMutt with cut Aspire springs.

Stick to the '01 and earlier '02 models with the two bolt strut mount. I suppose this would work with stock Festiva springs, but I'd cut one coil off some Aspire front springs.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                      You could save some dough if you found a good used set of front Rio struts and mounts in a 'yard. I'm running used Rio struts and mounts in front on AquaMutt with cut Aspire springs.

Stick to the '01 and earlier '02 models with the two bolt strut mount. I suppose this would work with stock Festiva springs, but I'd cut one coil off some Aspire front springs.

Karl
                      I'm running Monroe Aspire shocks (and Rio top hats) on my car without any problems. I did swap the rear springs to uncut Aspire, (over from the FMS "sport" Aspire that were on there) yesterday and the car rides a lot nicer now. Next stunt will be to put stock Aspire springs on the front. I know Rios are newer but I have 2 complete sets of clean Aspire goodies. Looking back (2 years worth) the FMS springs were probably the worst thing I ever did.

Comment

OR he could do what I did, get ahold of a yard that has a fresh 01-early 02 Rio and buy the stuff for the brake swap as well. Grab the hoses and tie rod ends if they're in good shape. Then it's pretty much bolt up and align. Oh and you'll need the wheels. Good time to do the Aspire swap too

But seriously, find an 01-02 Rio in the yard and do what he said haha. Either way you go you will come out ahead.

Comment

Working...
                        X