H&R "blueberry" lowering springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H&R "blueberry" lowering springs

just got these HR's today. love the color. these are for the 95 and up pride. will post a comparison against the 121 spax springs tomorrow.

Oh man...and now I completely regret buying these FMS springs! How much...and where did you get them?
    -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
    Random Festiva Parts
    Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
      Oh man...and now I completely regret buying these FMS springs! How much...and where did you get them?
      I second that!

Comment

spring rates? (yeah i know they're progressive)
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

H&R "blueberry" lowering springs

Tim
          '97 Aspire ST, UltraViolet Blue, 37k miles - New Storage Queen
          '03 SVT Lightning, Dark Shadow Gray, 30k miles - Storage Queen 11 months/year
          '95 SVT Aspire B3T, Green Mica, 75k miles - DD
          '01 ZX-500R, Violet Pearl/Gray, 5400 miles - Storage Queen
          '89 Suzuki FA50 Bright Red - Lake Transportation

Cardomain.com/id/aspiresvt

Previous Vehicles
          '92 Festiva L "Sport" Green Mica
          '92 Festiva GL Blue Pearl
          '92 Capri XR2 Performance Red

Comment

OK as promised, i got out my harbor freight digital caliper and took comparitive measurements. without even measuring though right away i could see a difference when i put the H&R's side by side with the SPAX/FMS springs, especially the fronts. as you too can see the HR's are taller by almost an inch and the rears are taller by almost 5/8". notice also there are more coils in the HR's. i'm no spring expert but from what i've read about active coils in a coil spring, you count only the full coils as active. i welcome any enlightenment. i count the HR's as having 2 more active coils on the fronts and 1 more on the backs as compared to the SPAX/FMS's. now the actual dimensions:

H&R SPAX/FMS

front wire diam. 10.45mm 10.25mm
            front coil diam. 106mm 106.5mm
            front height 316mm 292mm

rear wire diam. 9.7mm 9.7mm
            rear coil diam. 100mm 101mm
            rear height 313mm 329mm

obviously the only real differences are in the uninstalled heights and the # of coils. also pretty obvious is that the HR's are a bit stiffer but how much i can't say now. i hope to build a crude test bench using angle iron, a bathroom scale, and a 2 ton bottle jack and if i don't smash my face in i hope to be able to post actual lbs. of force for every inch i compress the spring.

Comment

OK as promised, i got out my harbor freight digital caliper and took comparitive measurements. without even measuring though right away i could see a difference when i put the H&R's side by side with the SPAX/FMS springs, especially the fronts. as you too can see the HR's are taller by almost an inch and the rears are taller by almost 5/8". notice also there are more coils in the HR's. i'm no spring expert but from what i've read about active coils in a coil spring, you count only the full coils as active. i welcome any enlightenment. i count the HR's as having 2 more active coils on the fronts and 1 more on the backs as compared to the SPAX/FMS's. now the actual dimensions:

H&R SPAX/FMS

front wire diam. 10.45mm 10.25mm
              front coil diam. 106mm 106.5mm
              front height 316mm 292mm

rear wire diam. 9.7mm 9.7mm
              rear coil diam. 100mm 101mm
              rear height 313mm 329mm

obviously the only real differences are in the uninstalled heights and the # of coils. also pretty obvious is that the HR's are a bit stiffer but how much i can't say now. i hope to build a crude test bench using angle iron, a bathroom scale, and a 2 ton bottle jack and if i don't smash my face in i hope to be able to post actual lbs. of force for every inch i compress the spring.

Comment

Where do I get a set?
                '89 L Charcoal
                '89 L Red
                '91 Ranger
                '65 F100

Sepmer Fi

Comment

The sharks circle. Are you gonna sel the FMS springs? If so how much? I'd like to be placed in line to buy them if you do. I would still like to know how much & where you got the H&Rs.
                  If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

still learning how to make hyperlinks. this is 3rd try for the "HR springs" seller on Ebay germany. cost was 167 Euro + 53 Euro for shipping. took a little over 2 weeks. there are only a few sellers willing to ship to U.S. and this guy had the best overall price.

<A HREF="http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&vxp=mtr&item=121084218159"> HR springs</a>

crap i see it didn't work in the preveiw. ok well that was bad advice i got from an hours research on making hyperlinks. sorry, i am generation U maybe V when it comes to computers. maybe someone can tell me what i did wrong. maybe someone will tell me to take a flying @#&+. maybe you can copy the address and paste in in your search bar. i give up for tonight.
                    Last edited by F3BZ; 03-20-2013, 11:48 PM.

Comment

You want it to look like this [url=http://www.websitethatyouwanttogoto.com/path/to/page.html]test[/url < just put the other bracket at the end here.
                      it will look like this test
                      Last edited by gergorian; 03-20-2013, 11:59 PM.

Comment

don't dismiss using the FMS/SPAX springs. i am keeping both the spax and hr's and who knows, i might find the best set up is spax in back and hr up front. it's going to matter ultimately how heavy or light the car is. if you have a B3/B6 and no accessories and maybe a few fiberglass pieces, then the spax's might be the best ride. the spax set was for an 88-89 121, a very light car at around or under 1700#. there was no automatic or A/C or power anything on most of them. just the difference between the festiva/pride crash bumpers and the skinny euro bumpers on a 121 is almost 50#. i think some of the compaints about the FMS springs might be due to the installation of a heavier and or turbo setup, maybe A/C, etc. HR makes a spring set for the early (before 95) pride but i'll bet that it would be very similar to the FMS set because those were lighter cars. the set i bought is for the 95+ pride and i suspect that they are a little meatier because HR had to take into account that those later prides could have an automatic (53# over a 5 spd.), A/C, power windows,PS, airbag, ABS, more sound deadener,crash bumpers, etc.
                        Last edited by F3BZ; 03-21-2013, 12:13 AM.

Comment

What I'm keen to see and hear is what the car looks like after and how nice is the ride. I'm halfway through removing my FMS 'sport' springs (only done the back so far) and replacing them with Aspire springs. Already the car rides much more to my personal liking and the back end no longer looks like there's a big block Chev engine squatting it down.

Comment

thanks gergorian for the tip. for now instead of being clever i'm just pasting the current auction.

there is no page for the spax/fms spec springs. just goto www.larkspeed.com and search mazda 121.

Comment

do you have these installed yet?would like to see pic of car and does it ride better than oem?thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X