questions for suspension on a 1988 fasteva what are my option

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• questions for suspension on a 1988 fasteva what are my option

questions for suspension on a 1988 fasteva what are my option?

Not trying to be a butt but I would recommend using the search bar or check the suspension area of the forum. There are tons of posts about fixing and modifying the suspension setup on the Festiva/ Aspire.

Comment

Do you want to have a comfy daily driver or a Ferrari eating monster? How about both at the same time? It can be done.
      Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-22-2013, 11:59 PM.
      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

haha..welcome back charlie!
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
          Do you want to have a comfy daily driver or a Ferrari eating monster? How about both at the same time? It can be done.
          This statement is right from the "horse's mouth". Ordinary folk are content to find a dead or dying Ford Aspire and graft the suspension, brakes and sway bar on to a Festy. There are lots of write-ups on this is you use the search feature. Now if by chance your car is on the receiving end of a 150+ horsepower engine then maybe you'll want to contact Charlie (Advancedymamix) to find out more about his sophisticated underpinnings.

Comment

please expand to me your wisdom !!!!

Comment

91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
              06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
              95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

It's simple. Mk3 VW front struts with 200lb springs. KYB gr2 stock fitment rear shocks with the shafts shortened 3" and 150lb springs (www.southwestspeed.com springs are 29 bucks a spring). Zero toe front and rear, -2.5 degrees camber front and rear. Stock sway bars, no strut bars or other gimmicks. Put sticky rubber under the car and out corner Z06 vettes with ease. ( You'll need a little driving experience, but it's not that hard).
                Bang for your buck, the Festiva is the best handling car I have ever driven or worked on, and I have been to almost every major road coarse in North America more times than I care to count.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Good to know. Thank you!

Comment

By the way, all this info has been stickied (with pictures, and instructions) in the "advanced suspension modifications" thread in this topic. I didn't show pictures of the shaft shortening, because this could be dangerous if not done properly, and people who know how to do it properly won't need the pictures. Shortened shafts result in drastically less body roll, without the use of sway bars or excessively stiff springs.

Comment

Charlie, when might you be ready to make some rear KYB modded struts for this setup?

Spring is in the air and a middle aged guy's thoughts turn to car stuff...

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

thank you this is exsreamly helpful

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          Charlie, when might you be ready to make some rear KYB modded struts for this setup?

Spring is in the air and a middle aged guy's thoughts turn to car stuff...

Karl
                          I too would like to know....

Comment

If you aren't planning to push the limits with your Festiva, then the 1 7/8 mod is very easy. You could literally do it with a hack saw and a file. I'll sell you a kit with sleeves, adjuster nuts, spring perches and the spring rate of your choice for 150+ shipping. The only reason for me to modify your shocks is if you want them shortened too reduce body roll. I only recommend this mod if you plan to run the car on a road coarse or auto-x it regularly. I can do the complete rear shock mod for $250 if you supply the KYB rear shocks. I realize that this is not a reasonable value for most Festiva owners, so I'm currently testing other options. I have several prospects, but they are untested, so I won't recommend them until I get some miles on them. My shortened KYB shocks have 60k miles on them which includes 2 cross country voyages and over 20k track/skid pad miles. This is the research that goes into my suggestions. Lol
                            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 03-31-2013, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Charlie wrote:

"If you aren't planning to push the limits with your Festiva, then the 1 7/8 mod is very easy. You could literally do it with a hack saw and a file. I'll sell you a kit with sleeves, adjuster nuts, spring perches and the spring rate of your choice for 150+ shipping."

I have 2 year old Aspire spec Monroes on the back of AquaMutt, my work car. The stock rear springs are cut about one coil and swapping back to an uncut spring might raise the rear end up a bit too much. I only need to be able to carry heavier loads and pull trailers (when I get my H.D. hitch done), and I'd like to be able to raise and lower the back end a bit depending on the mission. It sounds like your $150 kit would be perfect for me. Do you think so? I hate it when my 175/70-13s rub the fenders on moderate bumps! Gotta get rid of this.

Also, I'm planning on going to '03 Rio front hub-knuckles this summer for the larger brakes, so I'll be going to 14" wheels with 185/60s too. The common tire size will simply things and also lower costs. Having a lot of room for tire fitment in the rear would be nice.

Karl
                              Last edited by Safety Guy; 03-31-2013, 09:41 PM.
                              '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                              '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                              '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                              '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                              '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                              X