Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tire size effect on speedometer obervations...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire size effect on speedometer obervations...

There's been some discussion regarding the effect tire size has on speedometer accuracy. Here are my recent observations.

I have a instrument cluster which I believe is from the Philippines that goes up to to 180km/hr with no imperial markings at all.

With my 155-80/13 winter tires the speedo is bang on accurate confirmed both by GPS and roadside speedometer test sections. With my 185-60/13 summer tires the speedo reads almost 5% fast (100kph indicated vs. 95kph actual).

When compared to our stock size tires, 145-80/12, my speedo should run about 8% slow with the winter tires (100 indicated vs. 108kph actual) and about 3% slow with the summers (100kph indicated vs. 103kph actual). I used the tire size comparison tool here to figure that out.

Just wondering if the internal gearing for the speedos from markets other than North America have different ratios?
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

They could have a longer final ratio for better city pickup, sure (ie aspire trans)
    -Zack
    Blue '93 GL Auto: White 13" 5 Point Wheels, Full LED Conversion, and an 8" Sub

Comment

Working...
    X