Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Those Crazy Enough To Buy Wheels From Outside The U.S..... (Part 1 of 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Crazy Enough To Buy Wheels From Outside The U.S..... (Part 1 of 2)

OK, so you've searched and searched and searrrrched for those 'perfect' aftermarket wheels you've always wanted and now you've found 'em but there's only one tiiiiiny problem: they're outside of the United States and you're gonna have to ship them here.

First, shoot yourself in the head and put yourself out of your misery. :highly_amused:

Actually, it's not that bad, because I'm gonna help you get through the toughest part...shipping and customs. Learn from my weeks of research:

- First thing you want to do is get an account with a shipper like UPS or FedEx. Why? Because it appears that you get cheaper rates if you have an account with them vs. just relying on whoever is in possession of your coveted wheels to send them to you. Every time I crunched the shipping cost it would come out cheaper after I set up an account with them. A LOT cheaper. Who knows, maybe I wasn't entering all the info right, but you'll need an account for later on. Keep reading.

- Most likely you'll pay for your wheels with a credit card (though you could send a money order...if you do send a money order, ensure you ask your bank or post office for an international money order or your out-of-country retailer can't cash your money order)

****Special Note: If your wheels were made in America and were shipped to an outlet in Canada like mine were, suprisingly, those crazy Canadians will NOT charge you any sales tax. That saves you a whopping 13%. Yes, 13%. Now you know how those Canooks pay for their socialized healthcare.

- If you use a credit card, the credit card company will then 'graciously' charge you a fee for 'converting' the currency (big friggin' whoop.....yes, this is just another way for your credit card company to steal your money); my Visa card charged me 3.5% of the entire wheel purchase price, ie, not including the added cost of what comes next

- Then there's a "Duties" fee charged by U.S. Customs (mine is estimated to be only $13.75 [NAFTA])

- *****Special Note: if the wheels you want were made in the U.S., Canada or (never heard of it but I guess it's possible) Mexico, your wheels will be virtually duty-free / tax-free due to NAFTA (the North American Free Trade Agreement). I'd say Bill Clinton is my hero but he actually just signed it after all the hard work was done by a former American fighter pilot, George Bush '41'. (Yes, George '41' was a U.S. Navy fighter pilot in WWII.) No, I did not know GB did most of the legwork on NAFTA until I read it on Wikipedia.

- Then someone will charge you a "brokerage" fee to help walk your precious wheels through U.S. Customs. UPS will offer to do this service for you but, yes, again, there's a charge: as of 15 September 2013 it was $25.25 if the total cost of your wheels is between $200.01 and $1250.00 USD. If you somehow managed to buy wheels less than $200.01 then UPS performs the brokerage service for free. I had no clue what a broker did in terms of international shipping but now I know and, yes, you MUST have a broker. UPS actually pays the customs fees for you when your wheels clear customs (no, the wheels are NOT yet in your hands) and then afterward, they'll make you reimburse them whatever the brokerage fees/taxes/duties turned out to be before they let you have the wheels.

OK, we're almost done with shipping. You've got a choice: either you can pay/reimburse the shipper the shipping costs (which jacks up your wheel purchase transaction = higher credit card fees) so they can send them to you OR you can tell the company you're buying the wheels from that YOU'LL cover all the shipping costs yourself via the UPS/FedEx/etc account you set up. Once I discovered this it all got easier because.......just about every day I checked the shipping cost, it changed and I never knew for sure how much I would owe the company for shipping me the wheels. (I didn't want to give them my credit card 'cart blanche' and end up being charged some massive shipping fee I wasn't expecting.) UPS, FedEx and every other major shipper has an option on their on-line international forms to have the receiver/importer (that's you) pay the shipping, customs and brokerage fees directly to the shipper which you can now do with your handy-dandy shipping account.

NOTE: For UPS, the "Declared Value" (essentially, 'insurance') is for EACH wheel, NOT all the wheels combined. UPS provides up to $100 of coverage per item free of charge.
    Last edited by Twistiva; 04-16-2013, 02:05 AM.
    88L - 'Twistiva' - 'The Fusion of Man and Machine'
    88LX - 'Laztiza' - Future Resurrection Project
    91L - 'Mistiva' - My Daughter's DD
    93L - 'Vextiva' - Airport Car

For Those Crazy Enough To Buy Wheels From Outside The U.S..... (Part 2 of 2)

Last.....paperwork (keep reading, it has a happy ending). You'll need to send the seller at least the following: 3 copies of a "Commercial Invoice", one copy of a packing list and (if you're dealing with Canada, the U.S. or Mexico) one copy of the dreaded NAFTA "Certificate Of Origin". I used UPS and as I got familiar with the customs paperwork there was an option that essentially said "click this button and let UPS tell you what paperwork you need". I did and it stepped me through all 3 forms by asking me basic questions and "Presto!" at the end, the on-line software populated all the forms.

NOTE: NAFTA form or not: PUT THE CORRECT TARRIF CODE FOR AUTOMOBILE WHEELS ON THE CUSTOMS PAPERWORK...."8708.70.45" (I confirmed with the seller that was correct) because the last thing you want is your wheels to get held up clearing customs because you accidentally entered the tarrif code for "radioactive material" or "grenades, hand-held" instead of "wheels".

Other customs paperwork notes:

- you'll need to know the business / tax ID of the seller's company
    - you'll need to input a tax ID for YOU (either your business, or if you don't have a business, your Social Security number or, you can just put "Private" like my sender did, though U.S. Customs would have the definitive answer as to what to put if you are buying your wheels as a personal/non-business transaction)
    - NAFTA "Certificate of Origin" form (with automobile wheels as the product being imported): "Preference Criterion" most likely is "C", "Producer" is "NO(2)" and "Net Cost" is "NC".
    - you'll have to fax your seller (the exporter) copies of the paperwork above (be advised, NAFTA paperwork will need your signature if YOU prepare the paperwork)

Here's another possible option: the seller may agree to do all the customs paperwork for you. (Whew!) Yep, after learning how to do it all they offered to do it for me which saved me the hassle and a fax fee.

Oh, yeah, one last thing.....UPS will actually pick up and ship your wheels WITHOUT you having paid for their shipping (customs charges are different). It's not even COD. Apparently they'll deliver your wheels, after you pay the cutoms/taxes/brokerage fee and they bill you for the shipping. How cool is that?

OK, ONE more thing....special thanks to BraveKozak for being willing to risk jail time by buying the wheels for me and take them across the Canadian/U.S. border and then ship them to me from New York. (Just kidding, it's actually not illegal, after getting the UPS account it was just cheaper to have them sent directly to me but thanks anyways, Brave!)
    Last edited by Twistiva; 04-16-2013, 02:08 AM.

Comment

Yes, it was a huge pain in the rear to buy my wheels from Canada (thank you for red tape, U.S. government and a U.S. company, American Eagle, who refused to ship American-made wheels in Canada back to the U.S.) and I doubt many will buy outside the U.S. like I did but IF they do, now they'll know the basics of doing it.

Cheers!!
      Last edited by Twistiva; 04-16-2013, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Pics of these rims?

Comment

Are these the rims?
          90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
          09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
            Pics of these rims?
            Originally posted by TominMO View Post
            Nope. (Nice kitty wheels.....Ha! Ha!)

These....

Eagle Alloys Series 192 15x6, 4x114.3, offset 32mm.jpg

I've looked on and off for months until I found these. Amerian Eagle listed at least 24 suppliers throughout the U.S. that said they had the wheel on their internet site but none of them actually did. These wheels have been discontinued (verrry common I found out, BTW, for wheel suppliers/outlets to list stuff that you actually CANNOT get anymore :banghead: ) and were not to be found in the size I need (15 x 6 or 15 x 6.5) anywhere in the U.S. However.....

American Eagle outlets in Canada DID have them.

Would they ship them down to the US?

Nope.

Even if I covered the shipping for them. They still wouldn't. Ticked me off big time.
            More ---> :banghead:

Sorry for the massively long posts above but I really wanted to help anyone that has their heart set on wheels you can't get within their own country. Good luck and happy internet searching!
            Last edited by Twistiva; 04-16-2013, 01:58 PM.

Comment

Plan B. Have a Canadian buy them, ship them to you.
              Plan C. Go to Canadia to get 'em yourself, and have an Excellent Adventure in the process!
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by TominMO View Post
                Plan B. Have a Canadian buy them, ship them to you.
                Plan C. Go to Canadia to get 'em yourself, and have an Excellent Adventure in the process!
                Tom -

Plan B - Did you read the very last part of my "Part 2" post?
                Plan C - Was actually considering that if the retail outlet refused to sell them to me and 'Plan B' fell through.

Comment

I feel stupid for posting this, but these wouldn't have worked?

Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Boy did I ever save myself a bunch of grief, bureaucracy and money simply by grabbing the freebie 6 x 14 OEM alloys off an 02 Kia Rio that was headed for the boneyard! For your sake I hope those fancy rims don't require spacers or hub-centric rings.

Comment

Nope.

That's the correct wheel but I already e-mailed both those e-Bay outlets and neither one of them has the wheel. Neither do any of their company warehouses. Like I said in my post, many online wheel outlets show/list products that are actually out of production.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        Boy did I ever save myself a bunch of grief, bureaucracy and money simply by grabbing the freebie 6 x 14 OEM alloys off an 02 Kia Rio that was headed for the boneyard! For your sake I hope those fancy rims don't require spacers or hub-centric rings.
                        Bert -

Spacers for sure in the back. Not sure yet about the hub-centric ring. I've got the standard Festy 4 x 114.3 now but I could only get these wheels in 4 x 100 which means I am now committed to do the Aspire swap. Can't remember off the top of my nugget what the Aspire hub diameter is nor what the center-bore is on these wheels.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by Twistiva View Post
                          Bert -
                          Spacers for sure in the back. Not sure yet about the hub-centric ring. I've got the standard Festy 4 x 114.3 now but I could only get these wheels in 4 x 100 which means I am now committed to do the Aspire swap. Can't remember off the top of my nugget what the Aspire hub diameter is nor what the center-bore is on these wheels.
                          Cheers!
                          Interesting methodology you've come up with to justify upgrading to Rio/Aspire!

Sure hope you can come up with all those parts, especially the becoming-increasingly-rare trailing arm. Took me 2 years just to find my first Aspire and that particular one wasn't even dead. We are definitely a weird bunch for wanting to buy a perfectly usable and much newer car so as to graft that undercarriage on to an old Festy and then cheerfully throw out the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                            Interesting methodology you've come up with to justify upgrading to Rio/Aspire!

Sure hope you can come up with all those parts, especially the becoming-increasingly-rare trailing arm. Took me 2 years just to find my first Aspire and that particular one wasn't even dead. We are definitely a weird bunch for wanting to buy a perfectly usable and much newer car so as to graft that undercarriage on to an old Festy and then cheerfully throw out the rest.
                            Ha! Ha! Yeah, we are a backwards bunch, aren't we? My wife thinks I am certifiably NUTS for spending a single dollar on my beloved Twistiva.

I would NOT swap to Aspire hubs, etc if I didn't have to. Don't want to spend the time or the money on it. It kills me that they made the identical wheel I bought from Canada in 4 x 114.3 but there's NONE of them to be found in either the U.S. or Canada. If I would have bought wheels a year ago I would have been fine. Crap...

So, what year Aspires should I be searching for? (And, yes, I confess I have done very, very little research thus far on it. Just starting out....)
                            Last edited by Twistiva; 04-18-2013, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Easier way: get ahold of someone that deals in rare wheels and/or shipping them. Have them acquire said wheels. Have them shipped to you. Most of those guys have pretty good to awesome setups as they have been at it for a long while.
                              Fast....Women are fast
                              Quick...Nestle is quick

I Speak French....in German! lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X