Aspire sway bar removal question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire sway bar removal question

I currently have the Aspire front sway bar in my Festiva and plan to put the stock one back in. I remember having to drop the crossmember when I put it in. When I went to replace my transmission recently the captured nuts for the front pair of crossmember bolts broke free meaning I couldn't remove it.

That brings me to my question... can the Aspire bar be removed wihout dropping the crossmember? I'm thinking that if I support the transmission and remove the front mount I may have enough "wiggle" room. If worse come to worst I'll just cut the thing in two.

I'll let you how things go as I'm working on the car tonight.

Cheers

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
    Ian
    Calgary AB, Canada
    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

If you want the Aspire bar out, and have no plans for it, just get at it with a sawzall. It is very tight in there if you think you might somehow be able to pull the whole thing out and over the crossmember. And last question: why are you swapping it out at all?
    We all know by now that Advancedynamix does not have one on Tweak (which says a lot) but I'd sure like to experience the difference myself. Before the Aspire swap my car used to corner on the doors and I like to think the Aspire bar is a huge reason for why it is much more steady now. Let us know how much difference this makes and make sure not to swap out springs and shocks while you're doing it.

Comment

It was below the plate when I bought it. I took it out and put it back in above the plate without dropping the plate.

Comment

Originally posted by bravekozak View Post
        It was below the plate when I bought it. I took it out and put it back in above the plate without dropping the plate.
        I have been contemplating moving my next bar swap to the upside down position so as to avoid having to pinch the lower rad hose, nestle the tranny mount, and not having to drop the crossmember. And here you've gone and done the reverse! Howcum?

Comment

It was hanging down to low + I have one Aspire top rad mount and one Festiva top rad mount. You have to look hard to tell the rad's on a slight angle.

Comment

Ended up shearing the right side nut off so decided just to cut the bar in two to get it off.

I think if the car was up on a hoist the Aspire bar could be manouvered in and out without dropping the cross member.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
            Last edited by fastivaca; 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM.
            Ian
            Calgary AB, Canada
            93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
            59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I should have added that I did it while it was up on big timber blocks.

Comment

Working...
              X