Festiva KYB strut changes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Festiva KYB strut changes?

I just went to the Rock Auto website and looked up KYB struts for the Festy. They list the KYB strut as "GR-2/Excel-G", and the one they show is the Excel (GR-2s are silver, and Excels are black). Went to the KYB website and saw the same thing. Does this mean that the struts that KYB now offers are downgraded from the GR-2 to the Excel? I was thinking of going with narrower or shorter rear tires so I could fit rear GR-2s on my Aspire, but if the Excel is little or no better than my Aspire Monroes, then I will just stick with them.

PS: there is no listing for KYB struts for the Aspire, in case you were wondering.
    90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
    09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Aren't Excels made to the same specs as the GR2s? I thought it was just a name change.

Karl
    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Just checked, the Rio shocks I got from Rock are black. They were listed the same way; "GR-2/Excel-G".
      But there's this:

Originally posted by KYB
      To provide you with a product that appears more like OE products around the world, our current silver GR-2 products are transitioning to black Excel-G products.

The manufacturing process and all of the components used to make the Excel-G Shocks and Struts are identical to those used in the the GR-2.
      So the only difference is paint, because shocks are supposed to be black apparently.
      Last edited by Tommychu; 05-05-2013, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Excellent! Thanks for the tip!
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I see they have a strut mounting kit with bearing for Aspires #SM5273 & one without. I wonder if the one with bearing is like the Rio one. And is it better than the one without bearing? They also have the mounts for the 2001 Rio.
          Last edited by navdoc101; 05-06-2013, 07:19 AM.
          If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Originally posted by navdoc101 View Post
            I see they have a strut mounting kit with bearing for Aspires #SM5273 & one without. I wonder if the one with bearing is like the Rio one. And is it better than the one without bearing? They also have the mounts for the 2001 Rio.
            That bearing is amazing! It makes the steering much easier at low speeds, but maintains the raw feel at higher speeds. S-curves are quite a bit nicer to maneuver.
            In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
            There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

KYB didn't change the part number, so this leads me to believe it's a marketing thing and a color change.
              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                That bearing is amazing! It makes the steering much easier at low speeds, but maintains the raw feel at higher speeds. S-curves are quite a bit nicer to maneuver.
                Are you talking about the Aspire top hat w/bearing , or the RIO one?
                If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Working...
                X