FMS lowering springs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FMS lowering springs

Can someone tell me which is the top and bottom of these springs ? Does the narrower spacing go towards the top ? Or does it matter ?
    sigpic
    The Don - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter

Link to my festiva pictures below
    https://fordfestiva.com/forums/album.php?albumid=10
    Celebrating 25 years of festiva(s) ownership.

If I remember correctly the narrower spaced coils go it the bottom so as the spring compresses the spring rate will go up progressively.

Comment

That's what I was thinking too. But then I saw this video and at 11:25 it looks like the narrow spaced coil go up.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lMK9...o_ypTTKEV7pLX7
      sigpic

Comment

Fresh, if you look closely on the springs themselves, they are marked "Front" and "Rear".

In a dot matrix like font.
        Not easy to see unless you know it's there.

Your thrid spring from the left and 5th coil down from the top shows some markings.
        I just can't make it out at the resolution of your pics.

Update: after loading your pic to Paint and zooming in.
        Your 3rd sping from the left ID definitely labeled as "rear".
        Last edited by Pu241; 05-08-2013, 03:43 PM.
        '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
        '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
        '92 Aqua parts Car
        '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
        '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
        Your holy ghost will not save you.
        Your God plutonium will not save you.
        In fact...
        ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

I noticed the front and rear label, its the top and bottom I'm wondering about. The coils are wrapped tighter on one end and looser on the other end. I was just wondering if it matters which end goes up.
          sigpic

Comment

He's asking about which end goes up though...not front/rear.
            -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
            Random Festiva Parts
            Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

99% sure that they go on as pictured, i.e. the top of the pic goes to the top hat. With the rubber piece that goes onto the spring itself. The flatter end goes onto the bottom spring perch. If you have another Festy :-) , you can confirm this by comparison.

Edit: John did not supply the wrong answer, you just asked the wrong question! :highly_amused:
              Last edited by TominMO; 05-08-2013, 04:17 PM.
              90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
              09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

^ HA 8^) Maybe these pics will help. The coils on one end are spaced 1" apart. The coils on the other end are spaced 1 1/2 apart.
                sigpic

Comment

Another way to put it: the end you can stand the springs up on without falling over is the bottom of the spring.

Edit: the more I think about it, I think I have it wrong. Flatter end goes on top, with the rubber isolator piece. Just try it out: one will seem right, the other won't.
                  Last edited by TominMO; 05-08-2013, 05:05 PM.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I'd put the soft ones(the ones spaced closer together) on the bottom. Small bumps that aren't enough to move the stiffer coils could be absorbed by the softer ones without disturbing the ride as much, if I'm thinking correctly. If this is how they work, putting the stiffer bunch on top should remove a tiny bit of unsprung weight and make it that much easier on the soft springs to do their job. If the soft coils are completely bound on installation it probably makes no difference either way.

This is theory in my brain. Not experience talking.

EDIT: Just saw the post above mine. Less thinking, more feeling. Good.
                    Last edited by sketchman; 05-08-2013, 05:09 PM.
                    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I read somewhere the tighter coils go up top. That's where i have mine.

Edit: just ran outside and looked at them. On the back the top 4ish coils are completely compressed. I have a 75ish pound speakerbox inthe trunk On the front the top 2.5-3 Coils are compressed. Tighter coils on top.
                      Last edited by Chobobulous; 05-08-2013, 05:22 PM.
                      91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                      06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                      95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

^ correct.
                        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

The back springs will stand on either end . I'm going with the (tighter) narrower spaced coils on top. Thank you everyone for your input, I didn't want to do it twice. I'm wrong 85% of the time with 50/50 chances.
                          sigpic

Comment

I can post a photo of how it sits with the tight coils on top if you want. Though im thinking it sits the same either way
                            91 Festiva L "Erika" b3t swap on the way
                            06 Jeep Cherokee Overland
                            95 Aspire (sold)

Comment

fresh i cut my stock springs down & used zip ties on bottom but im not sure if you need to do that on fms springs. arty would know. danny
                              Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Working...
                              X