Bigger brakes.... from Kia!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've done the huge galant brake swap.

All of my future builds will have straight aspire/rio swaps.

Its just not worth it.
    91GL BP/F3A with boost
    13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

^ please elaborate Brad, i know you drag race and that doesn't require much in the brake department, but for those of us who run in SCCA and road track events, we need brakes that are consistant over long periods of time and that are easy to modulate.

also, the Spectra that i'm working on has a 114.3 patern...
      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocketman View Post
        It's been a while since I checked but I'm pretty certain you can use 14" wheels with the Capri "Galant Big Brake Upgrade"

I did it on my GTXR2 & I will be upgrading them on my other XR2 soon. Sooooo worth it. I'll have to check
        You can run 14" wheels with this setup
        Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
        Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
        Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
        WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

I love my Aspire brakes, have no problems with them. I used to burn up my Capri brakes really bad (4sets of pads a weekend) but I'm still on my first set of PFC pads ( over 20k hard track miles). I am running cheap eBay crossdrilled rotors and they have held up well too ( lots of surface cracking, but no abnormal wear or structural cracks). Arty has tried my brakes too, but it was a chilly wet morning, and these PFC pads take some heat to work their best. I slow my car rapidly from 140mph to around 70 once every minute and 12 seconds for half hour sessions at a time with no noticeable fade. I'm running a 1.6 miata master cylinder, and ate super blue fluid. Original rubber brake lines and stock rear drums. This car will out brake miatas with the big wilwood setup and race tires.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Very interested in a different option by the way, and also interested in toying with more distance between the axle centerline and the ball joint.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

i am fascinated by these latest discoveries of even HUGER brakes to stuff in the 1800lb. festivas fenders. not crapping on this or the next big thing but is there a point in the braking department when you have "jumped the shark"? will 747 discs finally get a festiva to stand on its front bumper from 70 MPH in .1 seconds? i'm just P Oed because when the puny Aspire swap came to light, i went out and bought all new Aspire components. now i'm getting prices for all new Rio components. next i'll be asking Boeing for a parts catalog.

Comment

Originally posted by F3BZ View Post
                will 747 discs finally get a festiva to stand on its front bumper from 70 MPH in .1 seconds? next i'll be asking Boeing for a parts catalog.
                Tell us how this works out, very interested!

-Joe
                White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                1988 LX 5-speed
                ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

If you are gonna stop in .1 seconds, you will want to fit airbags first.
                  90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
                  09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I need to get a ride in a festiva that can truly make use of anything stronger than aspire brakes. Mine slow the car consistently from 100+ mph over and over without any issues. With aspire front brakes and stock rear drums I can out brake Corvettes and Porches all day long (literally all day on the track). I switched from larger Capri brakes to my spire brakes so that I could run 13" wheels, since no 14+ track worthy tires will fit under the festiva fenders without serious body mods or serious rubbing (at the ride height that I prefer to run). The aspire brakes allow me to run 13" wheels, which leaves me many options for track tires. Even when I run on 7" wide slicks, with 2 and a half times the factory torque, these brakes don't fade. They give great feel for pedal modulation (I prefer stock brake lines for their feel) and the components are inexpensive and easy to get. I bought my calipers new (reman centric units) for 32 bucks a piece and my crossdrilled rotors were less than 80 bucks for both. The best pads for the track are only 65 bucks a set too. When you compare this to what it takes to replace the braking components on that porsche that I outbrake, well it's a no brainer.

Comment

Thanks Charlie. Like I said I've driven stock festy brakes, an aspire swap, Capri fronts and festy rears, and galant upgraded fronts with a disk rear setup, and the aspire swap is my favorite. More than enough power and perfect balance. Everything else seemed like a rig job and of course think about weight...
                      91GL BP/F3A with boost
                      13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

If you're able to lock the wheels up at a good clip* and aren't seeing fade issues, you already have as much stopping power as your car can use and upgrading any further is pointless. The only difference further upgrades make is how long your pads last.

Unless you figured out a way to fit 285/40 rubber on the front of a Festy. Then go nuts and make your festiva stop like it's hitting a tree.

*yeah that's not exactly the best way to put it but it's the best way I could think of to articulate the point that traction becomes a huge limiting factor in a braking system if you start throwing too much money into it

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                          I need to get a ride in a festiva that can truly make use of anything stronger than aspire brakes.
                          i'm working on that....
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Kia rio is easy conversion

Comment

The disks fit straight over your hub and calipers should line up.. Mine do anyway and I have a Mazda 121 db

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
                                i'm working on that....
                                Big smile. Can't wait to see what your up to.

Comment

Working...
                                X