Another Strut Choice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Strut Choice

Had some old ones lying around from when I did GR2s on my old Neon years ago, and my old stock Festy knuckles are loose in my parts shell, soooooo, pics.

As you can see, the holes line up so closely, you could easily make it work with a few seconds and a dremel and burr.

It gets better. Rio strut on top is longer than the Neon unit. I didn't have a spare Festiva unit to compare, but of the two the Neon wins for lowering your ride height "safely".

And the best part. Look at all that room behind the the lower mount hole. Now look again at the close up of the bolt holes. Instant negative camber. As a bonus, replacement Neon struts have slotted holes already there to give you adjustable camber. These are factory units and it's set in round holes, but (at least KYBs and IIRC all others) aftermarket replacements are slotted.

Also, Neon struts are STIFF for an OEM spec strut. I was running 200lb springs on KYBs on my old Neon, and it felt like a good match.

So there ya go. Cheap option that will offer good performance if you're doing DIY coilovers.

EDIT: One other thing. These are 1st generation(95-99) Neon parts. If you want to go even stiffer, you could use 2nd gen units, and as a side bonus the 2nd gens use a thicker knuckle to clevis mounting "ear?" so it would fit the Festiva knuckle even better. The one pictured is a tight fit. Nothing requiring machining, but it takes some persuasion.
    Last edited by sketchman; 06-07-2013, 09:38 AM.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Did you stick a Festy hat on that neon strut? Wondering if custom top mounts would be necessary?
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Didn't think about that. I'll mic the diameter of the rod that goes through the mount. One sec.

EDIT: Rio 14.9mm vs Neon 14.2mm at the widest points that stick through the strut mount hole.
      Last edited by sketchman; 06-07-2013, 10:11 AM.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

+ the Rio has that flat spot, a little spacer whim would fix the slop..wish I had a lathe! If I think about it ill Mic the Festy struts I have.
        2008 Kia Rio- new beater
        1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
        1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
        1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
        1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
        1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
        1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
        1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Would that little bit matter once the nut is torqued? IDK. I wish I'd test fitted them before I bought the Rios. But oh well.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Are they also shorter, or is that strut just compressed? Good find by the way!

EDIT: just reread your captions, you cover the shorter part. Lol. Can you throw a tape on that neon strut and get us an overall? I have a stock strut here, I'll get a length measurement from it for comparison
            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-07-2013, 04:40 PM.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Yeah, I'll get an exact measurement tomorrow if I can remember. I'm glad it's of use.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Neon - bottom to top = 20" - bottom to beginning of threads on strut rod = 18.5"
                Rio - bottom to top = 21.5" - bottom to beginning of threads on strut rod = 20"

So not as big of a difference in length as it looked, but still, overall a better choice.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Call him the postman, because sketchman always delivers! Great find, my friend. I'll wait for some Charlie input and analysis before I pull the trigger on anything though.
                  1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

Glad to help.

Hopefully this is a viable low buck alternative to the Golf coilovers. Hope.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Nice idea, Sketch! Fingers and toes crossed...

If these will work well, weren't Konis made for the Neon ACR?

Karl
                      Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-11-2013, 07:45 AM.
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Yep, but they're rare as frog hair. IF you can find them they will be beat to death and need rebuilt and they'll still be expensive.

But, yes, technically they are available.

Old Blue- New Tricks

Comment

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
                          Neon - bottom to top = 20" - bottom to beginning of threads on strut rod = 18.5"
                          Rio - bottom to top = 21.5" - bottom to beginning of threads on strut rod = 20"

So not as big of a difference in length as it looked, but still, overall a better choice.
                          I measured a stock festiva shock today. 19.5" from bottom to where the threads begin on the strut rod. For comparison, my Golf coilovers are 18" from the bottom of the flange (actual strut hangs lower, but the flange is the lowest part of the festiva unit). That means the Neon unit is 1" shorter than stock, which is good news for those looking for a drop. What is the compressed length of the Neon strut? This will tell us what kind of drop we can get with these.
                          My VW coilovers have a 12.25" compressed length, and the stockers have a 14.25" compressed length.
                          Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-12-2013, 03:30 AM.
                          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                            Nice idea, Sketch! Fingers and toes crossed...

If these will work well, weren't Konis made for the Neon ACR?

Karl
                            There are several models of Koni inserts that fit inside the raceland and raceland style VW coilovers. I Have had Koni double adjustables in my racelands, but at 300 bucks an insert they are not worth the money. I have always preferred Bilstein over Koni on my cars anyway.
                            Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-12-2013, 03:36 AM.

Comment

Nice of you to report on possible alternatives for shocks. This stuff is a little over my head but certainly looks do able. Adapting Aspire struts to Rio top hats was already an eye-opener for me; had to put a washer under the hat so the strut would ride on the bearing, sleeve the shock rod (Rio hat has a larger hole than Aspire rod diameter) and had to use an air impact to tighten the nut because there is no flat or other means of purchase on a Rio hat. Festy and Aspire hats have a flat inside that keeps the shock rod from turning as the nut is tightened, Rios don't.

Comment

Working...
                              X