X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    Funny thing is I used to live close enough to make that happen. Just jump on the Scotia Prince ride 'er down east to Portland and we'd give 'er hell. But now I'm no longer in Maine and no more scotia prince in Portland anyway iirc.
    Im back in NC until august. Then im back in canada

James says, "Hate on it."

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    Funny thing is I used to live close enough to make that happen. Just jump on the Scotia Prince ride 'er down east to Portland and we'd give 'er hell. But now I'm no longer in Maine and no more scotia prince in Portland anyway iirc.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
    Since were showing our Estrella love. Here are my 13" "strillaz with slicks all ready to fry my clutch! Lol

Little factoid. The mountain range south of Phoenix AZ is name Estrella. What does this have to do with car wheels? Well, nestled right up against the Estrella mountains is a little place called Phoenix International Raceway, a common stop for NASCAR, Indycar and a few other racing entities. Is this the reason American Racing Wheels named these wheels that? Not sure, but it's possible.
    That is some cool trivia to think about. And dude, your car is beautiful. Come make Mines guts like yours!

Leave a comment:

• Advancedynamix
    replied
    Since were showing our Estrella love. Here are my 13" "strillaz with slicks all ready to fry my clutch! Lol

Little factoid. The mountain range south of Phoenix AZ is name Estrella. What does this have to do with car wheels? Well, nestled right up against the Estrella mountains is a little place called Phoenix International Raceway, a common stop for NASCAR, Indycar and a few other racing entities. Is this the reason American Racing Wheels named these wheels that? Not sure, but it's possible.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
    I will say it was a pain to tape off the rim part. My next painting project will be a set of Miata solid spokes. I need to pick out a nice sparkly blue, and this will be a simple "all one color" like yours.

I'll do it the same way with the green Dupli primer but my only concern is that a regular paint won't do as well as their wheel paint. They don't make blue wheel paint though!

Karl
    I think youll be fine on regular paint for the wheels. Just sand them nicely, and follow that with degreaser and alcohol. Then follow the directions on th3 can. Not until your final final coat do you wanna do a heavy "wet" coat. If you do a "dusting" and let them set in the sun for around 10 minutes between each of those you should be fine.
    I did my previous estrellas gloss black with rustoleum and rushed it with a heat gun, and after they installed the tires the whole edge chipped. Id definitely do it with the wheels off and tires off the wheels, that way you dont have to tape the tire and go through extra hassle. Once they're dried, dont touch them for 7 days so the paint has time to fully setup. Thats how I did this plasti-dip (no sanding) and its holding on like a dream.

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    I will say it was a pain to tape off the rim part. My next painting project will be a set of Miata solid spokes. I need to pick out a nice sparkly blue, and this will be a simple "all one color" like yours.

I'll do it the same way with the green Dupli primer but my only concern is that a regular paint won't do as well as their wheel paint. They don't make blue wheel paint though!

Karl

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
    For those who want to see an Estrella (this one's a 13 X 5.5") with black painted center, here ya go:

I think the all black is nice, but I still think I prefer the silver lip (in this case, the "lip" is rather wide and curved).

Mine were done with Dupli Color wheel black over Dupli Color green etching primer, about a year ago. I ran snows on different wheels over the winter, so this pic represents about 8 or 9 months of road use so far. Seems to be holding up okay and I'm pleased with the results. Wheel prep was simply cleaning and lightly sanding with 320 grit, like Dupli Color recommends on its youtube video.

Oh, that fender flare is from a VW Jetta or Golf. I was playing around, seeing how it might fit.

Karl
    Mine have everything but the center piece thst goes through the center cap plasti-dipped black.
    Looks much better imho

Leave a comment:

• Safety Guy
    replied
    For those who want to see an Estrella (this one's a 13 X 5.5") with black painted center, here ya go:

I think the all black is nice, but I still think I prefer the silver lip (in this case, the "lip" is rather wide and curved).

Mine were done with Dupli Color wheel black over Dupli Color green etching primer, about a year ago. I ran snows on different wheels over the winter, so this pic represents about 8 or 9 months of road use so far. Seems to be holding up okay and I'm pleased with the results. Wheel prep was simply cleaning and lightly sanding with 320 grit, like Dupli Color recommends on its youtube video.

Oh, that fender flare is from a VW Jetta or Golf. I was playing around, seeing how it might fit.

Karl
    Last edited by Safety Guy; 06-14-2013, 09:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by Prafeston View Post
    I've seen these wheels on a couple different Festivas...they look so much better in black!
    Agreed. I thought about leaving the lip the silver, then decided against it once it was all installed.

Leave a comment:

• Prafeston
    replied
    I've seen these wheels on a couple different Festivas...they look so much better in black!
    Last edited by Prafeston; 06-14-2013, 01:05 AM.

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    And here's a link to the rubber for yas

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by Racks-on-racks View Post
    Well I am. Found a way to make them for dirt cheap so when they are done you'll be first to see I think there gana be about an inch from the ground O.o
    that's gonna look wicked. I'm gonna eventually b get some wider ones. Those that are on there aren't wide enough IMHO. I may snag some mazda ones from auto zone or something and do them red.

Leave a comment:

• Racks-on-racks
    replied
    Well I am. Found a way to make them for dirt cheap so when they are done you'll be first to see I think there gana be about an inch from the ground O.o

Leave a comment:

• frankenfester
    replied
    Originally posted by Racks-on-racks View Post
    Pshhh.... Mud flaps pshhh who wants those...you should just pull those things off and give them to me ill get rid of them for ya xD
    Bahaha. Suck it mister. Get your own! Lol

Sent from James' Galaxy S4 TAPATALK2

Leave a comment:

• Racks-on-racks
    replied
    Pshhh.... Mud flaps pshhh who wants those...you should just pull those things off and give them to me ill get rid of them for ya xD

Leave a comment:

Working...
X