Lowering springs for stock suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering springs for stock suspension

Do they exist or does it just not work that way? I know fms is long gone but is there a stock replacement lowering spring out there somewhere that fits?
    1989 Festiva L Carby

Yeah. You can still find a set when they pop up every now and then. I have a set of fms lowering springs. Overall if you can get them cheap i think it improves the look. Handeling wise they are a lil better. But not hugely improved. If you want the look for cheap they do the job well. If you actually want them to preform then you will have to go with coilovers.
    91 Festiva L no options, not one. 92 240sx sr20det, 2012 Kia Soul Red Rock Edition.

Comment

Is there a set of springs I can buy new right now somewhere that fit? I realize I won't find any new fms springs. All my suspension is stock, I'm just looking to lower the ride height and would prefer not to cut the springs.
      1989 Festiva L Carby

Comment

No readily available direct fitment lowering springs are sold in this country, but check mazda 121 or kia pride on ebay in other countries.

when done properly (not with a torch), cut stock springs often times work better than aftermarket springs. The springs shouldn't float in the strut/shock assembly so don't cut too many coils off. The spring rate will rise (spring will get stiffer) as it is shortened. I have cut the springs on one of my Festivas and the ride wasn't too bad. The worst part is the front shocks are valved too soft and the rears are too long, so the handling will never be great with stock shocks.
        Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-29-2013, 10:21 AM.
        Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Interesting to know about the stock springs Charlie, maybe I will just cut them down a bit. However, I have zero experience doing that. I'll need to read up on the right and wrong way to cut springs.
          1989 Festiva L Carby

Comment

Good advice from Charlie. I just recently swapped-out FMS Aspire lowering springs for OEM Aspire springs (but with one coil cut off via a cutting wheel) and have no regrets. Having just done this I think I am reasonably qualified to say stock Aspire springs make a Festy sit about one inch higher than OEM and the first full coil you cut off drops the car down to stock. I would imagine if you cut another full or 1 1/2 coil you'd pretty much duplicate FMS height and stiffness. I wasn't sold on the differential spring rate on the FMS rears; I think those were squat down to nothing as soon as the car touched the ground.

Comment

I believe you can use cut civic springs and there is a theed somewhere around here where someone found some springs that were very similar to FMS springs..I think they had to be bought from England though.
              -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
              Random Festiva Parts
              Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Whatever it is you're looking for the rears are 3 7/8" diameter and the fronts are 4 3/16". Anything new is going to cost you a bundle. Rios are a good fit for the front (just buzz off a couple of coils) and rears (aside from Aspire springs) is going to be a trial and error search.

Comment

I use a hand grinder with a cut off disk. Cut the bottom coils iirc. If you just want to go lower then use the stock springs, instead of aspire springs. It will be a little stiffer than stock. I have heard (never driven a set) that the FMS springs are too firm.
                  Last edited by Advancedynamix; 06-30-2013, 12:34 PM.
                  Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

I've cut two sets of Aspire front and rear springs. One coil each IIRC. They work well except that when running 175/70-13s or equivalent diameter tires on the back I get some rubbing, especially with a load. The next time I won't cut the rear springs. I'm also going to coil overs for some of my cars.

Karl
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

It sounds like I should get new aspire springs and cut them. Am I correct that this needs no modifications to my Festiva?
                      1989 Festiva L Carby

Comment

I found the thread that had some info about the springs that can still be bought new and appear to be FMS dimensions.

Post #33 and 34.
                        -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                        Random Festiva Parts
                        Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                          I've cut two sets of Aspire front and rear springs. One coil each IIRC. They work well except that when running 175/70-13s or equivalent diameter tires on the back I get some rubbing, especially with a load. The next time I won't cut the rear springs. I'm also going to coil overs for some of my cars.
                          Karl
                          I've got 3 inch clearance (with 22 in diameter tires) at the back using uncut Aspire springs. Suits me just fine. To answer Charlie's question about FMS springs; they're way too stiff for me! Much softer ride out of Aspire springs even though I cut one coil off the fronts.

Comment

Working...
                          X