Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock festy front springs

So my question.
    Has anyone, or is it advisable, to use stock front springs in the rear?
    I'm thinking they're the same diameter. But not sure.
    My goal is to increase load capabilities in the rear without destroying my struts. I carry tools And junk And when I head back to Canada will have the equivalent of two 130 pounds people in the rear.
    I don't care about bumpiness. I'm just kooking for compatible springs fkr the rear.

-James
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

rear coil outside diameter is 99 mm. front outside diameter is 106 mm. rear uninstalled height is 326 mm. front uninstalled height is 352 mm. front wire diameter is bigger too by about 3/4 mm. I have no input if this is a good or safe idea. you might consider using rear springs for a later 5 door pride. they should be heavier than the 3 door and were still available from 4 Green. I have no specs on them other than they are the same OD as the festiva rear springs.

Comment

Yea man do it, I have stock fronts in the rear of my aspire. They'll ride nice, if you can get ahold of Rio springs they feel good up front. Ride height will change. They're a little thicker overall but they do work.
      Last edited by zoom zoom; 06-30-2013, 04:07 PM.
      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
      1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
      1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
      1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
      1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
      1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
      1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

Frank, I did what you are referring to several years back, I installed Kia Rio struts and springs on the front, Aspire struts with Festiva front springs on the back, the car sits higher but rides nice.
        An idea can turn to dust or magic, depending on the talent that rubs against it.

Comment

Groovy. Thanks dudes.

-James
          Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
            Yea man do it, I have stock fronts in the rear of my aspire. They'll ride nice, if you can get ahold of Rio springs they feel good up front. Ride height will change. They're a little thicker overall but they do work.
            This is the question I always had. Fronts are 4 3/16" dia whereas rears are 3 7/8", and you are telling me that they fit in the rear body pocket OK as well as on the rear shock perches? Someone should sticky this. Rios (ie source of front springs) are still common at the boneyards but neither Festy or Aspire rears can be had anymore. Especially items that aren't "bagged" from years of use. After 20-25 years most Festys look unintentionally look like lo-riders anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
              This is the question I always had. Fronts are 4 3/16" dia whereas rears are 3 7/8", and you are telling me that they fit in the rear body pocket OK as well as on the rear shock perches? Someone should sticky this. Rios (ie source of front springs) are still common at the boneyards but neither Festy or Aspire rears can be had anymore. Especially items that aren't "bagged" from years of use. After 20-25 years most Festys look unintentionally look like lo-riders anyway.
              That's why I'm trying to find something for the rear. Struts are brand new. But the back sags under load.

-James

Comment

I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I know there are many with stock fronts on the rear struts. Dooo it. Then come do mine.

-Joe
                White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
                White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
                1988 LX 5-speed
                ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                  I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I know there are many with stock fronts on the rear struts. Dooo it. Then come do mine.
                  -Joe
                  Beauty of doing rear springs is no spring compressor required. Raise the back end in the air to get the old stuff out and then let it drop when new springs are in place. An 8 inch piece of pipe (I used 3/8"ID) to help guide the shock rod up inside the car makes all this a piece of cake.

Comment

Putting stock front festy springs on rear of festy with stock rear festy shocks will blow the shocks! "Sedat" did this to the white car I now have, and yhe shocks Blew out within a few days making the rear EXTREMLY sloppy and bouncy! After my BP swap before I switched rears out, bouncy foot off throttle would make festy bounce enouh to lift tires about an inch! Hahaha...

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
                    93L sold. First FESTY!
                    91L blue monster "BP swapped!" Robbed of its Heart for other Festy!
                    91GL blue bandit(thanks to sparky) Sold twice! lol
                    89L (thanks again to sparky) "SCRAPPED without my permission!!!!:nono:
                    93L Clean Green Machine! (Thanks to Sedat)-Sold to other member!
                    89 Auto LX Wrecked and stripped. violin
                    93GL Sold Too Soon!
                    91GL BP powered, ALL OPTIONS! banana time

Comment

Working...
                    X