help with suspension setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help with suspension setup

ok I have a 89 festiva with stock 1.3 with webber carb,it's my daily driver for work over 2000miles a month just for work. it is a destiva only part I have from the aspire is the sway bar and all my brake components are brand new,did not know about aspire swap until after so will stay with festiva setup as far as that goes. I need shocks and springs was thinking just festiva Monroe sense-tracks but then I seen on here that vw coilovers work with lights mods? I have looked at Charlie's sticky and have talked back in forth on here with him but I really do not have the tools to cut the shocks down and rewels but as far as making holes bigger and cutting springs can do. so question is what is a good setup? also whats up with the kia rio top hats? so much info on here been sifting through it for days and so much conflicting info so what to do? and if go with shock/struts then what springs? festiva or cut down aspire? if aspire how many coils ? any and all info as long as it's correct is greatly appreciated thanks and pics help going to be running 13 inch wheels also

festiva and aspires have the same springs front and rear, some are just newer than others.
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

So if festivas and aspires have the same springs the only think affecting the ride height would be the strut design and age of springs?

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
      90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

Springs are the same diameter but the weight rating is different. Aspires are heavier than a Festiva. Aspire springs under a Festiva will raise it a couple of inches or so. Mine has Aspire rear springs and it's at least a couple of inches higher in the back than it was before and a lot stiffer.
        Last edited by Team Lightning; 07-03-2013, 03:39 PM.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
        92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
        93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Ahh that make sense. Sorry for hijacking the thread. I thought I was about to get lucky with a strut swap. Still on the look for aspire swap. Oh well

90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

actually it's the other way around :/

Sorry I wasn't even thinking about that :p

I had thought that it was weird the festiva springs were different but the spring rates came out almost identical, that must be the difference.. I have some rear springs I've been meaning to measure too. Feel free to grab a couple springs measure them up and post your results!
            Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-03-2013, 04:22 PM.
            2008 Kia Rio- new beater
            1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
            1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
            1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
            1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
            1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
            1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
            1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

thanks for the replies but still whats up with the rio ? I've read on here to use festiva or aspire shocks/struts and to cut aspire springs but not sure how much and how about the vw coilovers? really looking for the best setup for the money

Comment

Rio front struts and mounts give you a power steering like feel on a Festiva. Rio top mounts have a bearing where the Festiva/Aspire ones don't.
                Also Rio's are valved for a heavier car and should improve the handling on your Festy. If you use the Rio springs, cut about 1.5 coils off for a close to stock height on the Festiva.
                Not sure about the VW struts as I'm using Rio parts on my car I'm building. I've read about them, but I haven't talked to anyone that has them on their car.
                Last edited by Team Lightning; 07-03-2013, 04:52 PM.
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Found some brand new front struts for a 03 Rio on the bay for 61.00 shipped. I will post a link in a minute. That is for both front struts. This might be a suitable option to help the front some. I guess using the festiva springs with these would be some better results than stock. I'll post a link in a minute

Comment

Comment

should be looking for 01-02 rio. and i hear that neon front struts may be another option as well....
                      Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                      94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

does any one have the 01-02 rio front struts on their car if so how does it drive/ride? and what about the rear?

Comment

rears are incompatable (fronts only). most ppl go with the aspire rear stuts for a little more tire clearance.
                          Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
                          94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

Originally posted by blueoval View Post
                            does any one have the 01-02 rio front struts on their car if so how does it drive/ride? and what about the rear?
                            I have Rio struts, mounts and springs (cut 1.5 coils) and I love it. They're stiffer than stock, but comfortable and the ball bearing strut mounts make it feel like I have power steering.
                            Festiva: Because even my dog can build a Honda.
                            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

'90 L. B8ME/Kia Rio 5 speed. Rio/Aspire suspension swap. :-D
                            '81 Mustang. Inline 6, Automatic.
                            '95 Eagle Summit Wagon. 4G64 Powered.

Comment

so hows the ride quality and hows it drive with the rio front and aspire rear? and what springs do people run? is it really better than just buying festiva struts/shocks and keeping festiva springs or using aspire springs read that 1&1/2 to 2 full coils will put the festiva back close to oem ride height anyone got pics of a festiva setup like this? I really want a good ride,i drive a lot thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X