Hand full of nuts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand full of nuts

I've read an hours worth of installing studs and nuts in place of lug bolts. This has really became a topic of interest to me as I swap from steel to mag a lot. There was no agreement in our history on whether closed nut or open was better. Also what length of stud is best for both steel and mag wheels with closed nuts.

Here is a kit I am considering that protrudes from the hub or drum 30mm

Would sure like comments before I order 20 of these critters! I did find them for a lot less $$
    Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

I initially ran 45mm total length studs and open lug nuts on the B6T car until I switched to Honda-style ball-seat closed nuts to facilitate my VX rims. Both fit just fine, but the threads protruded a little bit when I had the open lug nuts compared to the closed ones.
    1988 Chevy Sprint Turbo 997cc

Comment

I read your article, it answered a lot of questions! This kit says it is for stock or aluminum sand wheels so the nuts must be at least 30mm deep. Total length must be around 42mm. One of my drums has pulled some threads and all holes are well used so I will be using red loctite or perhaps sleeve retainer. I can heat them if one needs replaced. These should be 60 deg just like stock.

The gorilla studs are a lot more money, right up there with Dorman studs. The EMPI is a brand I respect from all the VW builds I have done years ago. I had a 64 ghia in the shop and it had a stud kit. Some one had put them in without loctite and it was wearing the threads in the drums but not the studs, they must be somewhat hardened besides meeting automotive specs ?
      Reflex paint by Langeman...Lifted...Tow Rig

Comment

Working...
      X