Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

hub rings huge center bore on old school mags?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hub rings huge center bore on old school mags?

I just picked up some 0 offset jelly bean 14 inch wheels the center bore appears to be about 90 millimeters I cannot find Rings. If you do a lot of searching there is a 92 millimeter which perhaps is what I have but you just get a lot of engine pistons hits. I also do not see any of the shelf Festiva Size bore nvert to something that large what do i do here
    1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Use them without... I have used 14"American Mags with large bores for several years without any problem.... just makes it a bit of a PIA to get the lugs started. Once you get them tightened down they center the wheel on the hub. I haven't had any problem with them wanting to shear off either. I know some of the other members do the same thing....

Comment

Brave guys. I only do that gamble on 8 bolt +....

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

I am running a rim with 73.03mm inner diameter size and the festy hub size is 33.16mm and i have been fighting a vibration issue in my front end at around 60 or 65 mph and rebalanced tires i dont know how many times.. finally figured out its because my wheels are not centering up perfectly because the rims doesnt fit the festiva hub. So you can try it without but if you keep having steering wheel vibrations above 50 then its in the wheels and prob the same problem im having... Im gonna ask my machinist how much to make some custom hub centric rings.

Comment

Festy centerbores are 54.1mm aren't they? My wheels have a 72,xmm centerbore and I don't have any hub rings. They center by torquing the 60* cone taper lug bolts down right. Can't just slap em in and crank em down. Do two finger tight, beat the edge of the tire all the way around with your palm, the bolts will get slack, finger tighten again, rinse and repeat until they don't tighten down anymore by hand then torque em. I Chase the wheel bolt threads and wire wheel the hub and mating surface of the rim then smear antiseize all over so nothing interferes and it sits flat.
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
          1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
          1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
          1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
          1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
          1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I always torque in a star pattern and make sure it is seated correctly... If you read up on hub centric rings they actually are not necessary but can cause vibrations and that's when you need them. And I used a micrometer to check the festiva hub and it was 33.16mm

Sent from my LG-LS970 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Comment

No, festiva bore are 59.6mm plus or minus. I have not put the wheels on yet, kinda bummed they came with 185/70/14 (i was told smaller) but the tires are so new ill rock some 4x4 action for a few months--its hard to say no to such fresh tires that no one will want most likely.

@zoom: the seller gave me a big bag of lugs but they are not the acorn style, they have a significant shank on them. Will that help to use those rather than stock lug bolts or a lug stud conversion with run of the mill acorsn in this case? I have lug bolts not installed...havent even checked if the threads are a match and im lucky there, but i am not sure what is the "less wrong" way to go about this. The right way is to call up a guy and make me what i need, but yeah who does that, three for three in the replies not using rings LOL
              1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Originally posted by wirebrain View Post
                Use them without... I have used 14"American Mags with large bores for several years without any problem.... just makes it a bit of a PIA to get the lugs started. Once you get them tightened down they center the wheel on the hub. I haven't had any problem with them wanting to shear off either. I know some of the other members do the same thing....
                what are you using to hold them on? Lugs designed for the wheels, stock festiva, or something else? this is where i may need to go to a tire shop for advice
                1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

Festiva lug bolts are conical and are called lug centric, which means the rim is supposed to center with the lugs. But if you notice stock rims have the center bore fits the hub perfectly which insures it centered perfectly, if the center bore doesnt fit properly it can be just barely off center and cause wheel vibration. A tire shop is gonna tell you that you need to have the hub fit correctly.

Comment

I understand the center bore issue. Secondary issue is when to use a lug that is not what im used to. Pretty much every car ive ever owned has been those acorns that i can remember, kind of ignorant that other stuff is out there. when and why to use those is the next obstacle even if i get the center bore addressed.
                    1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

The bolts you use are dependant on the wheel. Whatever kind of taper it has is what determines the bolts to use. Google it, I can't repeat the Google info verbatim but there's a difference between 60* cone taper (Festy/aspire/Rio) and acorn style. There's other variations of wheel hardware too.
                      2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                      1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

I understand the center bore issue. Secondary issue is when to use a lug that is not what im used to. Pretty much every car ive ever owned has been those acorns that i can remember, kind of ignorant that other stuff is out there. when and why to use those is the next obstacle even if i get the center bore addressed. I take it that the lug nut goes thru the rim hole into and passed the mating surface as well, but our hubs are not like that, something with a shank is just going to hit. the tapered cone ones go thru the wheel into the hub but no penetration just hits up against. the size of the bolt holes plays a role here too.
                        1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

The holes for the lug bolts or studs on my AR wheels are 14/15mm, and the studs are only 12! I was told to just stick them in and roll with it, so I did.
                          Last edited by zoom zoom; 07-25-2013, 09:25 PM.
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

The only way to properly measure bore sizes is with a three point touch bore gage.
                            The chart sizes are not entirely accurate. For instance, I bought 57.1-54.1 rings for my Storm rims and they would just barely not fit. Since they are the thinnest rings, the only way to remove material evenly from the centre bore is to carefully use properly sized flap wheels.
                            Last edited by bravekozak; 07-25-2013, 09:58 PM.

Comment

this was the kind I use on my green libres
                              -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                              -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Working...
                              X