FYI: Sumitomo HTR 200 could be the tire for you

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FYI: Sumitomo HTR 200 could be the tire for you

I've been searching quite a bit for wheels and tires that would likely work best with the Festiva and Sumitomo's HTR 200 seems to be the ideal street tire. They are available in several 13" sizes and cost about $35 per tire. They grip well and have a treadwear rating of 380 so they should last a while.

I have these tires on one of my Festiva's and they are great, I got them a while back when they were 29 bucks on onlinetires.com or maybe tire rack. they handle good and you can't beat the price on them.

Shaun

Comment

Great Tires I have 175/50 R13 on Aero Race Wheels 13x6 3.5in Back spacing. its an awesome tire especially for the price. smooth break away, never a squeal just great traction. definitely recommended.
      Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
      - Dennis Grant
      FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Same thing on my festiva 175/50/13 sumitomos on enkie apacheV's
        ---------------------------------------------------
        The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
        BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

They get good ratings across the board and are a low rolling resistance tire.

When I replace mine these are going on. Every little bit helps.
          Eric
          Blue 1989 Festiva L 1.3 carb 160K+, Aspire 5spd, Aspire swap, Tach, Added A/C, Intermittent wipers.
          Aqua 1991 Festiva L 1.3 FI 200K+, 5spd, Aspire swap, tach, Intermittent wipers.
          Green 1995 Aspire 1.3 FI 95K (RIP Saved my 18yo sons life)

Comment

Ok I had to purchase these due to the fact that no place has Falken Ziex 512's.. And first impressions were good. But this weekend when I went to my first AutoX of the season and really pushed the tires to the limit, they did horrible. It felt as if I was racing with oil soaked tires.. I was sliding very badly and I also had trailbrake oversteer which I have never had before these tires.. The straight line grip (both acceleration and decceleration) is equal to if not better than the Falken's but the lateral grip was not good at all in comparison. For the street I would say go for it. Very quiet, cheap, even good in the rain.. But for any type of racing, stay away.. -Kyle
            Cosmic Blue 2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - Mostly Stock...

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Proud member of Chicken Mechanix Racing

Comment

On the AutoX comment I'm afraid I must disagree. I have entered 2 events this season and 1 RallyX and can find nothing
              but good things to say about these tires. Perhaps it is the wider track offered by using RWD wheels and a stiff suspension, also I run 1/8 toe out on front wheels for better turn in. I would first try playing around with tire pressures, I run 39psi in front and 34 out back. If you've got oversteer lower the rear pressure for a wider contact patch and more grip. Then make sure the front brakes are working better than the rears that way the rear gets less braking force. What size are you running? I wonder if tall sidewalls make these tires turn to crap?
              Nothing says "triumph of enthusiasm over physics" like a Front Wheel Drive race car.
              - Dennis Grant
              FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

:>
                - Dennis Grant
                FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

I use 185/60's on my VX wheels... I had the Falken's before in this same size and they handled much better. I have the Aspire swap w/stainless lines and like I said, have never had trailbrake oversteer like that before. And what suspension are you running? I have the FMS front strut tower bar, homemade LCA brace, homemade rear tie bar, FMS springs, KYB Supers... BTW, have you ever run a serious AutoX tire such as Azenis? Or R compound tires? I had the pressures at 40 front 35 rear. I even dropped the rears to 32 just to try and stop it. -Kyle

White 1990 Ford Festiva - B6 SOHC powered 50 shot = 14.5 @ 94 mph Gone but not forgotten

Comment

your setup is bit more sophisticated than mine I must say. I run stock brakes with front vented rotors. I must ask
                    can you feel the difference in chassis rigidity with the braces. I run GR2s with QA1 springs 220F -180R, no bracing,
                    at stock ride height. No, I have never run on slicks or R com, but I do know they mean 9.6 sec between me and
                    the FTD corvette (the corvette part has a little to do with it as well). I'm not trying to say the Sumitomos are the
                    best you can buy, just that for the price you can't beat them. It's a bummer they didn't work out in your case but
                    atleast you didn't spend too much and now you get to run your new wheels and slicks. Update on how your times
                    improve and the difference in feel (not to mention torque steer). Good Luck -Chris
                    - Dennis Grant
                    FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

Chris, the braces are a must if you have a semi decent welder, grinder w/cutoff wheel, and some time. I can feel a def. impact on turn in. And the total cost was w/in $40 for both including metal, a pack of cutoff discs, and paint!

No, I have never run on slicks or R com, but I do know they mean 9.6 sec between me and
                      the FTD corvette (the corvette part has a little to do with it as well).
                      LOL!! Yes the Corvette part probably has ALOT to do with that.. Also the treadwidth on that thing might! :-)

I'm not saying they are a bad tire, just in my case (which may also be due to the taller sidewall and skinnier wheel) for AutoX'ing. In fact, I like them on the street. And on my 13x5" VX wheels, the total wheel/tire weight is in the 20lb range (never weighed them before putting them on).. Next time I have them off I'll be sure to weigh them. Which may help me break into the 15's in the qtr soon w/o any more power upgrades! -Kyle

Comment

i have those tires, there great
                        http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2065064/1
                        Paulbarrera12.com
                        Festiva Visualizer Project

Comment

does anyone know what the lowest profile tire i can get for 13" rims and the website to it.... any help is much appreciated
                          RK

Comment

I believe the 175/50 13 sumis are the lowest profile you can get, I did an exhaustive search before and these were
                            the lowest. You can get them at tirerack.com.
                            - Dennis Grant
                            FarNorthRacing.com

Comment

BFG makes a 175/50/13...but i think they're discontinued now
                              The Jester - Midwest Festiva Inc., Missouri Chapter
                              BUILD'EM CHEAP, RUN'EM HARD, REPAIR'EM DAILY!

Comment

Working...
                              X