Springs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Springs...

I know it probably gets lame hearing the same questions over and over again, but here's some for yas.
    Stock cut springs.. Good idea or bad idea? And how many coils need cutting per inch of drop you'd want?
    Second question. I saw a thread about cutting stock civic springs. Yay or nay?
    I'm in a position currently where my front is up higher than the rear (the rear struts are brand new and the springs are the original from my festiva and have only 98,000 miles on them according to my speedo)
    So my goal is to drop the front a bit to level it out and give it a lower feel without actually losing any performance from the strut? If that makes sense.
    I once had a spring the came out of the top perch and it made the car hell to drive. But it was just one side. So I'm wondering if the front springs are cut, will it be torture hitting bumps and what not?
    Idk. I'm lost on what to do. I wanna do the diy coilovers but I can't afford it for a bit.

-James
    Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

i cut my front springs one and a half coils & with 175 70 13's it really looks good. i didnt mess with the rear ones yet but it was suggested to me to get a pair of front springs to cut to go on the back & not to cut the rear springs
    Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

< ^ BARBIE CAR
      Last edited by Festevil3; 08-20-2013, 11:24 AM.
      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
        i cut my front springs one and a half coils & with 175 70 13's it really looks good. i didnt mess with the rear ones yet but it was suggested to me to get a pair of front springs to cut to go on the back & not to cut the rear springs
        I think that's the same diameter as my 165/55/14s and sounds like the plan. Do yours ride rough? Or is it decent? Any problems with tire wear or anything suspension or steering wise there Danny?

-James
        Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

I have cut stock civic springs on my white car but i do not recommend stock strut/shocks
          Last edited by bobbyspider; 08-20-2013, 11:55 AM.
          -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
          -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

I ran cut stock rear springs on Tweak for a few months ( they were on the car at fm5) and I liked them, aside from the increased amount of body roll caused by the increase in static sag.
            Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
              I ran cut stock rear springs on Tweak for a few months ( they were on the car at fm5) and I liked them, aside from the increased amount of body roll caused by the increase in static sag.
              So what you're saying (because in my mind I was thinking go cart handling) is that with the cut springs (assuming front and rear) the body rolls more? Is than any cornering? Or just high speed track turning?

-James

Comment

the fronts are fine but like charlie says the rears dont do so well hence finding a set of fronts & putting them in the rear(much stiffer) they will need to be cut though
                Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
                  the fronts are fine but like charlie says the rears dont do so well hence finding a set of fronts & putting them in the rear(much stiffer) they will need to be cut though
                  Gotchas. Anyone know of anyone with a set of front springs for sale? Lol

-James

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
                    Gotchas. Anyone know of anyone with a set of front springs for sale? Lol

-James
                    I got a set, but getting them to Canada maybe tough
                    Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers

Comment

Originally posted by Festevil3 View Post
                      I got a set, but getting them to Canada maybe tough
                      Its not tough at all actually. Box em up. Post office has a customs form you put what's in the box on (and value but I'd say like 20$) then the address and they ship it out. If you can quote me the shipping I'll text you my address.

-James

Comment

^will do

Comment

I tried to ship to Canada using FedEx and there were a bunch of forms I needed to fill out...I said ok, I'll be back. I went to the PO and they had me sign like one thing and put what was in the box...that was it. Obviously it was a bit more expensive, but not bad.
                          -Rafe-

Things I have for sale.
                          Random Festiva Parts
                          Festiva Non-Swoopy Power Drivers Mirror

Comment

I did the FMS Aspire 'sport spring' thing (at the same time as doing an Aspire swap) 2 years ago and never liked it; too low and too stiff. This May I switched over to Aspire springs (sturdier than Festy) and that has been a blessing. The rears are stock and sit a bit high but I ground one coil off on the fronts and looks OEM. The ride is firm but not stiff anymore. Anyway good luck with the swap.

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
                              So what you're saying (because in my mind I was thinking go cart handling) is that with the cut springs (assuming front and rear) the body rolls more? Is than any cornering? Or just high speed track turning?

-James
                              This is not due to spring rate (I liked the rate so much that I ordered my coilover springs in the same rate) it is due to the increased suspension sag that is the result of lowering the rear without shortening the shock shaft length. The sag causes the body to roll over in corners because the spring on the inside is working with inertia to lift the inside of the chassis. Shorter shock travel solves this by limiting the amount that the inside can be affected by the spring. Shorter shock travel with lower ride height limits body roll without use of sway bars or stiff springs. Because the spring is working to roll the car, stiffer springs DO NOT control body roll and do not make a car faster. Stiff springs simply give the car a more rigid feel, which most drivers associate with being sporty. On a timed and documented test however, stiff is usually not an improvement
                              Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Working...
                              X