Rear Struts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Struts

I put a VW Mk2 Golf rear strust beside my Festiva rear strust and the VW strut is almost IDENTICAL to the Festiva strut. There are two minor differences though. The spring seat diameter is slightly wider in circumference, and the small rib on the end of the strut rod is also wider (doesn't have any effect on installation though). If you are running wider wheels, you will probably have an interference problem with the spring seat and the shoulder of the tire. I know Bilsteins or Konis come with the spring seat separate from the shock body itself, so you can probably cut your spring seat off the Festiva strut and modify it so it will work with the VW strut.
    * Retired Festiva-er*
    1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!
    B6T'ing since May 2002...

Disclaimer: I'm a dick, deal with it.

True but, mk2 coil overs are way easy to get and the spring diameter would be 2.5 inches and afford plenty of clearance. Are the fronts the same like an mk1 Golf/Rabbit. If not maybe fronts from am mk1 and the rears from the deuce.

Clinton

Comment

VW A2 Chassis suspension is familiar, check out the old BOR Racing site for pics of coil-over conversion using these.

On the rear, not so much limited to A2 for an easy install, as choices are almost endless being a simple stem and eye mounted shock ( not that it has to remain that way ).

What I like about the A2 applications is you can buy just the inserts with stock to race valving and place them into fabricated housings.

Inserts ever wear out, replace them rather than entire assembly.
      Rich Norman
      5 Festivas:
      1992 L - Daily Driver
      1993 GL-Off-Road Buggy Subaru EJ20DET
      1988 L - Big Block Ford Pro-Street
      1992 L - Corvette LS7 drivetrain
      1991 L - Parts Car

Comment

The front Mk2 strut is the exact same overall length from tip to tip, but the spring seat is about 2" higher then on the Festiva strut. I don't remember if the rod lengths were any different... I should have checked. Aside from that, the tabs at the bottom which bolt to the spindle are the same width on the Festiva and Mk2 strut (about 1"). The bolt holes on the VW strut are about 1/4" farther apart, so getting the front strut to work is pretty simple.
        * Retired Festiva-er*
        1990 Festiva - The Once Fastest Red 1990 Festiva LX on this site! - now in more dedicated hands!

Comment

coilovers

So if the spindle mounting tabs are the same,and the only real difference is spring height, a set of real coilovers for a MK2 should be just the ticket, for an easy fitment. There are tons of applications for the Mk2 golf, just get out the credit card, I don't think I would bother fabricating something as long as you can just buy a set of real ones that will basically bolt on.

Unless you feel the need to spend the time so you can do it a bit cheaper, my time is more valuable then that though, as long as it fits why not just get a kit, stick a fork in it and be done.
          FWIW a coilover set for a mk2 golf should be on par price-wise with a set of adjustable struts and performance springs from FMS due to the large selection of different kits available, and the long amount of time that they have been out for the mk2 golf (20 years! ). Of course the mk2 golf is a bit heavier then a festiva, so even with the springs that come with it, it should ride a bit stiffer.
          I'm lucky enough to have gotten the Teins but a set of mk2 coilovers were the plan before I got them and is still a viable plan for others.
          Chris Rummel

Comment

You know your rear springs are too stiff when:

You're 200lb body can't even compress the springs 1/2".
            * Retired Festiva-er*

Comment

Working...
            X