mazda 2 (D series chassis) to festiva suspension and brake swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mazda 2 (D series chassis) to festiva suspension and brake swap

as far as i understand, the mazda 2 (DB/DW/DY/DE) brakes will swap over to a festiva.

anyone ever done the rear axle swap from the earlier (DW/DY) to the later (DA)..

is there any considerations such as handbrake and brakelines, mounting bolts that would stop this from happening?

here is a picture of the dw

Here is a picture of the DY 121 (Demio DY/121 DY/Mazda 2)

Also the DE, which came after the DY for some reason

anyone ever attempted this?
    Last edited by jawbraeka; 09-24-2013, 05:12 AM.
    Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
    Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
    Highway - 7.32L/100km
    City - yet to be determined.

I doubt anyone stateside has tried it.. but then again, it'd be a very expensive swap for us. Would be nice to have 2010+ brakes, though.

-Joe
    White '92 GL 5-speed BP, G series, Aspire/Rio swapped, "Nancy"
    White '89 LX 5-speed, Aspire swapped, Weber carb
    1988 LX 5-speed
    ​​​1993 L 5-speed B8, E series, Aspire/Rio swapped

Gone:

1986 Chevrolet Sprint 1990 L Plus Auto

Comment

Can someone really confirm this break swap will work (assuming your talking about knuckles also) I would bite the bullet and purchase the parts and do a complete write up about it
      Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
      Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
      Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
      WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

considering that we dont have the first 2 cars pictured here in the states, the only option for us is the DE chassis. the next time one is in the shop, i'll take some cursury measurements.
        Trees aren't kind to me...

currently: 2 88Ls (Scrappy and Jersey), 88LX, 90L(Pepe), 91L, 91GL (Skippy) 93 GL Sport (the Mighty Favakk), 94 (Bruce) & 95 Aspire SEs, 97 Aspire (The Joker),
        94 Justy 4WD, 87 Fiero GT, plus 2 parts cars. That's my fleet.

Comment

I dont see any coilover options for the DW chassis...but I did find that R32 skyline coils look similar to ours...youd have to modify the fronts though for sure.

Sent from the trash can.
          1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
          2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

Originally posted by FestYboy View Post
            considering that we dont have the first 2 cars pictured here in the states, the only option for us is the DE chassis. the next time one is in the shop, i'll take some cursury measurements.
            Festyboy that would be awesome! Ill start looking at coparts for the mazda 2, we need one in our jy anyway
            Barbie Car - '90 L-plus_2nd Gen SOHC B6+rear turbo @ 8 psi
            Festycul - '9? 5spd_full roll cage, completely gutted, hydro g-series, B6T @ 15psi, rocketchip ecu,Willwood master cylinder, Mit. Galant VR-4 rotors, Hawk racing pads, capri knuckles, 323 LCA's, BrideLow Max seats, 5pt. harness, lexan windows, fuel cell, aluminum radiator, 323 coilovers
            Elvis - '93 L 5spd_B3+T build in progress
            WhiteGirl - '93 GL Immaculate shape, deciding what to build with it?

Comment

yeah i kinda was clued in by one of the phillipine guys who told me that they fit .. the clue was the fact that i have seen DE and DW based Tein springs ... The DE's are the set you want to have all the goodies like Height adjustment, Damper tensioning (manual and Computerized) with the assistance of a system called EDFC and their new upgraded setup called EDFC ACTIVE.. meaning this:

EDFC is like a small headunit that has 4 stepper motors and allows you to set the damper of each shock from the comfort of your car.. either that or if you don't mind, just go to each strut and set according to the "comfort level" of the individual.

EDFC ACTIVE goes one step further and actually uses a GPS module and can automatically adjust the damper according to terrain (i'm assuming within the VOODOO of the GPS, it can actually determine the Terrain in regards to height and calculate the steepness of hills and make minor adjustments on the fly, not sense the road conditions and if there's a pothole the size of a vw in the road)

there is also from memory from a motor extender ... now it was something to do with the fact that if there wasn't enough room under the hood for the motors to sit on top of the actual strut, these would somehow still allow the stepper motors to be adjusted and have the stepper motor remotely mounted, so you can still enjoy the benefits of EDFC and EDFC ACTIVE.

Just to also let you know, they do cost a pretty penny or several, so, the addage of "you get what you pay for" comes into this, unless you know someone who owns a truck who's back-end bounces like a Sunnova.. then yeah it's a bit like that.

I think there was one set for the DW that actually did have the compatibility for EDFC, but i'm not 100% cetain on this..

The kits are available on ebay for the DE and they are pretty sparing at this current time.. The DW's however have been upgraded i think to the DE series, so be mindful of what set(s) you purchase..

there are also other Coilovers available for the DW that are still fairly common and plentiful as i'm guessing they are as good as the aforementioned brand..

the other thing too there was also a set from KW RACING that allows you to do the adjustments from your phone.. yes a smart app for your phone that allows the same functionality as tein but from your phone..

http://kw-suspension.com/us/kw_ddc.php DDC stands for Direct Damping Control.. so i'm assuming the same Stepper motor type system and all wired to a transceiver .. not sure if there is support for MAZDA 2/3 for our cars

however, i digress, if the rear axle won't fit, then we may be shouite outta luck..

but being full of faith this will happen, and touching every wooden item within site crossing all my fingers, and seeing double, i think we can see a new breed of suspension for our little beasts.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOO .. more life for our beasts and let the gods mile down upon us all.. huzzah.

Avg Economy:
              Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

Originally posted by defprun View Post
                I dont see any coilover options for the DW chassis...but I did find that R32 skyline coils look similar to ours...youd have to modify the fronts though for sure.

Sent from the trash can.
                Try searching for 'Mazda Demio'

Avg Economy:
                Highway - 7.32L/100km

Comment

I was intrigued by this so after some searching I found this nice writeup that has many pics of the front and rear suspension in great detail. http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/t...alkaround.html

Also: It doesnt show measurements but it is an exploded view of the front suspension on a Mazda 2. http://www.jimellismazdaparts.com/sh...roduct=9902440

Double edit: The 11- up Mazda 2 has pretty much the same suspension as the Fiesta so that is something to think about.
                  Last edited by gergorian; 09-26-2013, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I don't see a point to this swap. My 2 has rear drum brakes and the front rotors can't be that much bigger than the Aspire's. Both the aspire and 2 have 4x100 bolt pattern and parts will be cheaper to find for the aspire swap as well.

Comment

Originally posted by FastOrBust View Post
                      I don't see a point to this swap. My 2 has rear drum brakes and the front rotors can't be that much bigger than the Aspire's. Both the aspire and 2 have 4x100 bolt pattern and parts will be cheaper to find for the aspire swap as well.
                      I was looking more to see if the suspension is swappable. Because there are some coil over kits for the 2 and if they fit the Festiva, then there is an alternative to using mk2 jetta stuff that has to be modified.

Comment

The front might be similar but the rear spring is seperatd from the strut and sits on the rear beam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by FastOrBust View Post
                          The front might be similar but the rear spring is seperatd from the strut and sits on the rear beam.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
                          Yes, but there are coilover kits that have the spring on the shock instead of separate. so if the rear shocks fit then a coilover may as well.

Comment

Working...
                          X