No announcement yet.

How do you adjust this CUSCO strut bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you adjust this CUSCO strut bar?

the instructions are in Japanese. i'm not even sure if the offset goes towards the firewall or the radiator but I figure that'll be evident when I try to fit it. what i'd like to know is how much tension to effect using the turnbuckle, and this might be a stupid question but I've asked stupider. should I adjust it to be pulling the strut towers towards each other or pushing away from each other? is there a way or tool/guage to measure the set tension or do you just observe the changing gap between the hood and fender?

nevermind. I just saw this warning, the only English in the instructions and as a law abiding citizen of the U S i'll add this to the scrap pile.

who cares , install the damn thing

Comment

I dont think you should use that bar as you are in the good 'ol USA! :razz:

It looks like the turnbuckle is for adjustment, to get it the right length to fit the mounts, I dont think you are to pull or push anything. Once bolted in, it will be more non-flexing and is made to prevent any pushing/pulling as you drive.
      Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
      Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
      Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
      Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
      http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

that was my first intention but I remembered that FMS also had a cheaper non-adjustable bar so i'm thinking there must be an advantage to one with adjustment other than the cool factor. it just occurred to me to look up the dimension on the collision repair diagram and use whatever the factory says. maybe the hood gaps will be so tight I can't open it or so wide I can change the air filter without opening it.

Comment

It would probably be a good idea to bolt one side on, check the fit on the other side and adjust the turnbuckle to fit.

BTW, that is a nice strut bar!!! I likey!
          Last edited by drddan; 09-27-2013, 08:19 PM.
          Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
          Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
          Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
          Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
          http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

don't break any laws. give it to me and I will discard it for ya.
            -Bryant

Comment

I think you should find the stock dimensions on your vehicle first.
              Because the strut towers can either hang outwards over time or inwards
              Depending on driving style/use.

Installing it is one thing.
              But making sure you keep the strut towers at the right distance is another worthwhile consideration.
              It will help keep your alignment true.
              Which will help keep your handling firm.

The adjustability is probably just to compensate for strut tower separation changing over time.
              To ensure the ease of installation in any case.
              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

there are more of these available on yahoo japan,

Google the term : Yahoo Japan English Version..

then your JDM dreams could come true.

out of curiousity, what did you pay for it + shipping?
                Last edited by jawbraeka; 09-27-2013, 09:13 PM.
                Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                Highway - 7.32L/100km
                City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I would bet, that one thread is right hand and the other is left hand.
                  What is the clearance under that bar to the top of the strut tower?
                  Last edited by bravekozak; 09-27-2013, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Brave has it right. The threaded center bit has both left and right hand threads. I've had that bar on my car for quite a while; it really helped stablize the front end. this may sound wierd but I noticed it most when going over speed bumps. I've got it set up that it just holds the top of the strut towers in the stock location.

You'll discover that you'll have to relocate the coil to allow for the driver's side to bolt up. I modified the bracket to move it down the side of the strut tower.
                    I'll try to remember to take a couple of pictures for you tomorrow when it's light.

I'd actually be very interested in Charlie's thoughts on this.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                    Last edited by fastivaca; 09-27-2013, 10:44 PM.
                    Ian
                    Calgary AB, Canada
                    93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                    59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Awesome news. I have an aftermarket coil that should be presented better. What better way to acheive this by buying another piece that makes it necessary!

I do remember from other posts that Charlie says less is more concerning the rear. The front, unsure other than the fact he really wants us all to get Arizona coilovers.

He's also a night owl in some regard, during the week his PMs are returned rather late.

Only for DOHC ford festivas on this site. Even my swaps do not qualify to use this part. http://www.part-box.com/product_info...ducts_id=24187
                      Last edited by getnpsi; 09-27-2013, 11:06 PM.
                      1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

He's a couple of shots of my install:

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
                        Ian
                        Calgary AB, Canada
                        93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
                        59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

I don't think I can install that one. My power steering reservoir is in the way.

Comment

well many thanks for the inputs. since it's so easy to reset it should just be a matter of trial/error. i have no problem relocating components but the bigger issue will be how it will fit over a B6D and whatever intake arrangement i use but that's way down the road.

Comment

I wish one of these fit my aspire.
                              Running 40psi.....in my tires.

http://aspire.b1.jcink.com/index.php?showtopic=611&st=0

Comment

Working...
                              X