Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*****this might be a possible upgrade for the Aspire swap!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• *****this might be a possible upgrade for the Aspire swap!!!

check the 4Th post

we just need confirmation, anybody?

I hope this is so.
    It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

I bought those drilled/slotted rotors on ebay last week for my aspire swap, they should be in any day now. I am excited. Saved me some serious cash, hopefully I won't be disappointed.
      performance > cosmetics

Comment

Rio front brakes changed around the end of '02 to '03. Look in the parts catalogs. I have long suspected that all you'd need is to replace a bracket or the knuckle to run the later model Rio rotors on an Aspire or converted Festiva.

Keep in mind that '00 to '02 Rio front brake rotors are the same (thickness) as the automatic Aspire rotors, so if you are looking for lighter weight, they would be about 1.5 pounds heavier on each side. (I weighed the MTX vs. ATX Aspire rotors once. The difference was three pounds per pair.)

Unfortunately, I haven't had time to find a Rio at the 'yard to confirm all this.

Karl
        '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
        '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
        '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
        '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
        '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

incrased rotor/pad size? yes..that would be an upgrade.

slotted and/or x-drilled rotors? No..despite the "ricer-mentalitY" that is NOT a performance upgrade, and actually a downgrade in both reliability, brakepad life & effectiveness
          Wil
          02' Sc00by WRX Sedan (current project)
          00' Celica GT Automatic 38mpg gas-sipper (sold)
          05' Scion xB box-on-wheels (sold)
          93' MX-3 Hybrid on LSD (sold )
          96' Slowtegé 42mpg Beast-mobile (engine exploded)
          93' B6-ZE 'tiva GL aka"Blue Bomber"(now owned by darpien)

Comment

aspire/1G rio 00-02 rotor: in(mm))(outer diameter × thickness) 9.25 × 0.87 (2.35 × 22)

2G rio 02-05 rotor: in(mm) (outer diameter x thickness) 10.0 x 0.94 (254 x 24)

Anyone know the stock festiva size?

As far as a rotor swap, it would take more than just the rotor and caliper as the shroud or heat shield or whatever you wanna call it is to small to accommodate a larger rotor. If i ever find a kia in the JY i'm going to take a look.
            It's a good thing you don't read the stickies, you might of learned something.Poverty produces creativity

Comment

Originally posted by Gro Harlem
              incrased rotor/pad size? yes..that would be an upgrade.

slotted and/or x-drilled rotors? No..despite the "ricer-mentalitY" that is NOT a performance upgrade, and actually a downgrade in both reliability, brakepad life & effectiveness

I have heard this but i know for a fact my mustang a 91 with stock rotors not slotted or drilled had terriable brake fade they would get soo hot the pedal would get mushy after braking from hard acceleration, but i put a set of drilled and slotted rotors and what a difference no more brake fade! the pedal is more firm. i had brembo blanks that where slotted and cross drilled. i know your taking away braking material so maybe just have them slotted at least to help cooling and even pad wear.

Comment

if it is possible to swap with the rio, i'll be up for that
                Anyone know if the bolt pattern on the rio is the same as the aspire?

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

4x100

I'm looking into this swap as soon as the knuckles come in the mail.

8) MY brakes are bigger 8)

Comment

so let me get this straight,.. if you have aspire running gear, the Kia rio Calipers and rotors are a bolt on deal??

Comment

We don't know for sure yet. Someone needs to try this first. I'd like to when I get some time.

When I see a Rio in the yard I never have the time!

Karl
                      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

early Rio, 01-03? are the SAME calipers as aspire.. look up the part numbers they are the same

Comment

Originally posted by Deathshead
                          early Rio, 01-03? are the SAME calipers as aspire.. look up the part numbers they are the same
                          And that is why he is recommending LATE 03-05 calipers I do believe..
                          Have had 6 Festys... and counting...

My Website:
                          http://www.StanfordMotorSports.com

Car Domain:
                          http://www.cardomain.com/id/Quaddawg
                          My Garage Page:
                          http://www.fordfestiva.com/forums/vb...o=view&id=6724

Comment

Working...
                          X