Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aspire Brake Swap Questions

Hello all

I've been reading on the brake swap from Aspire to Festiva. I work at an auto parts store, and I get a very generous discount. Really want to make her a nice cross country car, so I have already started putting newer parts. I'm thinking and planning, if Aspire parts swap, I will just buy the new parts from work.

My vehicle: 89 Festiva L 1.3 fuel injected

What years Aspire will swap with my vehicle, and what parts will I need for a full healthy swap for my Felicia the Festiva?

Masta where are you located? I think Bobby has a complete aspire brake/suspension swap still

Comment

I'm in Hampton Roads, specifically, Norfolk VA.

Comment

Try to send Bobbyspider a PM, He might be able to work something out.

Comment

You'll need aspire knuckles/hubs (manual or auto trans) and aspire automatic calipers and rotors and aspire tie rod ends.
          You may want to purchase the knuckles/hubs used and install new wheel bearings. The calipers, rotors and tie rod ends can be found new for fairly cheap. In the back you'll want either a full aspire beam or you can modify the aspire backing plates to fit the festiva Beam and you can run aspire drums. Or you can machine a set of aftermarket festiva drums to 4x100 pattern to match the front.
          Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by mastadamn View Post
            I'm in Hampton Roads, specifically, Norfolk VA.
            There's a 94 aspire at PNP in Virginia Beach. I helped Huli do his Rio front/Aspire rear swap so if you need a hand let me know.
            93 GL

Comment

Right on! Mind meeting me at PNP? I'll PM you when I'm ready. Maybe sometime next week.

Comment

Hello all

I've been reading on the brake swap from Aspire to Festiva. I work at an auto parts store, and I get a very generous discount. Really want to make her a nice cross country car, so I have already started putting newer parts. I'm thinking and planning, if Aspire parts swap, I will just buy the new parts from work.

My vehicle: 89 Festiva L 1.3 fuel injected

What years Aspire will swap with my vehicle, and what parts will I need for a full healthy swap for my Felicia the Festiva?
                One: you appear to be new to this whole business, including working at an auto parts store. Two: find an entire Aspire to scavenge from and then invoke your discount in order to get linings, drums, bearings, shocks etc. With how common Aspires are now don't shop around too much. It is easier to find hen's teeth up my way. Any and all Aspires are fine (94-97) for this but ATX models will get you thickest rotors, and a 2 door will also get you a Festy-compatible gas tank. Added bonus, if the motor is OK, is you get a freebie B3 with roller rocker actuated valves.

Comment

Right on! Mind meeting me at PNP? I'll PM you when I'm ready. Maybe sometime next week.
                  I'm leaving for Florida in the morning and won't be back until the 14th so the weekend after that would be the soonest I could help you out.
                  93 GL

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                    You'll need aspire knuckles/hubs (manual or auto trans) and aspire automatic calipers and rotors and aspire tie rod ends.
                    You may want to purchase the knuckles/hubs used and install new wheel bearings. The calipers, rotors and tie rod ends can be found new for fairly cheap. In the back you'll want either a full aspire beam or you can modify the aspire backing plates to fit the festiva Beam and you can run aspire drums. Or you can machine a set of aftermarket festiva drums to 4x100 pattern to match the front.
                    why auto calipers and rotors. well I see that auto rotors are thicker. is the reason just to get the thickest combo?

Comment

The thicker rotors are the reason for using the auto stuff.
                      Jerry
                      Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                      90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                      92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                      93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Originally posted by bugster69 View Post
                        why auto calipers and rotors. well I see that auto rotors are thicker. is the reason just to get the thickest combo?
                        Short answer. Yes. The thicker rotors allow for more heat build up before you start getting a mushy pedal.

Comment

Okay so I think I'm ready. I was going to change out my shocks this weekend, but lo and behold I cannot find them anywhere. Everyone has to special order them and they are not even available from Monroe or KYB. What type of modification will I need to swap the Aspire shocks and struts? Also with the B3 from the Aspire, the roller rocker valves will offer a better compression ratio, correct?

Comment

Okay so I think I'm ready. I was going to change out my shocks this weekend, but lo and behold I cannot find them anywhere. Everyone has to special order them and they are not even available from Monroe or KYB. What type of modification will I need to swap the Aspire shocks and struts? Also with the B3 from the Aspire, the roller rocker valves will offer a better compression ratio, correct?
                            Aspire shocks and struts are a direct fit. So are the springs although you might want to cut or grind off 1/2 or 1 coil in order to retain stock ride height. You could choose to go 00-01 Rio front struts (also direct fit) so as to be able to install corresponding Rio 'top hats' that have real bearings in them. Guarantee you'll like that for 'poor man's power steering'.
                            Roller rockers are a more efficient mechanical transfer system but don't figure on this making any difference to the compression. That's a function of machining the head surface or raising the pistons.
                            Last edited by Bert; 10-25-2013, 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                              Aspire shocks and struts are a direct fit. So are the springs although you might want to cut or grind off 1/2 or 1 coil in order to retain stock ride height. You could choose to go 00-01 Rio front struts (also direct fit) so as to be able to install corresponding Rio 'top hats' that have real bearings in them. Guarantee you'll like that for 'poor man's power steering'.
                              Roller rockers are a more efficient mechanical transfer system but don't figure on this making any difference to the compression. That's a function of machining the head surface or raising the pistons.
                              So Bert, only the front struts from the Rio will fit? And the Aspire all the way around is direct fit?

Comment

Working...
                              X