• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Typo. A-hole autocorrection

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

Questions
      this is the top of the spring I just removed. Is one full coil from the very end of the spring to where my thumb is? Or is it the same spot but to the right of my thumb?
      any help is appreciated!

-James
      Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

That's one. Right would be two.
        I think you want to cut the other end though.
        Last edited by eurotiva; 11-04-2013, 10:59 AM.
        -Greg
        Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
        BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
        Redneck Engineer
        FOTY - '09
        5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

So from the very end to where the very end is touching the coil is one coil? And then half around the coil from there would be half a coil? For 1.5 coils

From thumb to middle finger on the other side?

-James
          Est. 1989 "Bringing laughter and festiva awesomeness to the world since birth" banana time

Comment

Cut 2 and slam it
            -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
            -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
              Cut 2 and slam it
              Haha. I'm just trying to get the front back level with the back like Festevils Barbie Car

-James

Comment

are those fms springs?
                -90 festiva - bp swap "relentless" (thanks matt) aspire swap, pacesetter, underdrive pulley
                -90 festiva - surf blue (undetermined destiny) wanna keep but wifey says noooooooo

Comment

Originally posted by frankenfester View Post
                  So from the very end to where the very end is touching the coil is one coil? And then half around the coil from there would be half a coil?
                  From thumb to middle finger on the other side?

-James
                  Correct
                  -Greg
                  Euro-bprt...WORLDS FASTEST FESTIVA !!! 11.78@115.9
                  BP, G trans, Megasquirt/ 550cc inj. t3/t3 (tbird) Garrett, REAR TURBO!!!! AND AC!!!!
                  Redneck Engineer
                  FOTY - '09
                  5x Festiva Madness Attendee...FM 3,4,5,6,8
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LpCZ7...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU_eX...9Pwqw-oe8s2OYQ

Comment

Originally posted by bobbyspider View Post
                    are those fms springs?
                    They are stock festy springs. Painted them red a long while back.

-James

Comment

Cut bottom. Bottom of strut is casted to match cut. Top of spring has the half wrap for a level spring se for top plate of strut.

Wherever your cut lands, turn spring to match bottom cut/bottom strut plate, naturally anywhere of rotation is OK for top.

Comment

I was confused for the longest time about 'top' and 'bottom' of springs especially after taking delivery of dual-rate FMS Aspire 'sport' springs 3 years ago. Flattest end of Aspire/Festy springs is the top and other end end (mostly but less so flat) sits in the somewhat contoured perch of the struts or shock. I bit the bullet and cut a set of springs 6 months ago. Simple with a die grinder or electric grinder. You don't even have to cut all the way through. A bend or twist with pliers will take care of the rest. Hardest part is to seat the springs properly when releasing the jack (for rear springs) or spring compressor tool when doing the front.
                        I swapped in Aspire springs on my Festy. The FMS jobs sat too low and were too stiff. Single coil cut for the fronts achieved stock ride height and I left the rears alone and now have 3 inch between the tires and wheel arches at the back.
                        The whole idea/concept of cutting compressed springs while they're in place scares the bejesus out of me. Festys may be toys in the automotive business but the springs can still be pretty deadly with 300 + pounds of weight on them if/when suddenly released.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
                          Cut bottom. Bottom of strut is casted to match cut. Top of spring has the half wrap for a level spring se for top plate of strut.

Wherever your cut lands, turn spring to match bottom cut/bottom strut plate, naturally anywhere of rotation is OK for top.

Festevil told me to cut from the top. And unfortunately enough that's what I did. Its installed. Still soft as far as ride comfort goes. I just need to have toe adjusted because it has my steering wheel cocked

-James

Comment

Phone must be slow was showing only 2 pages lol put yes that's 1.5
                            Last edited by william; 11-04-2013, 08:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by william View Post
                              To answer your question yes from thumb to finger 1.5.
                              Thank you sir. Cut em earlier and she's setting good now. Handles nice. Not too much body roll. Love the "go kart" feel.
                              This was the end result.

-James

Comment

Awesome I would have never thought of cutting the springs without dismantling the struts. I could never get the top hat nuts off.

I think I will end up doing this very soon then, because uncut Rio springs make the front end sit way too high, even though that makes oil changes a breeze since it doesn't even need to be lifted, it looks like crap.
                                Though I will be pulling the struts off and doing it in a vise with spring compressors to avoid any loud "bangs".

Luckily I just bought a $20 dremel from autozone a month or so ago.
                                Last edited by TorqueEffect; 11-04-2013, 10:15 PM.
                                1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
                                2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
                                1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Comment

Working...
                                X