TRW Rack Bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRW Rack Bushings

Driving this Aspire on a 2200 mile road trip to Texas in 4 days.

Bought an" ATSCO" reman rack from Rock Auto. It came with one new and one used inner tie rod! And the outer nylon rack bushings were worse than my original drool
    Decided to take the "Bull by the horns" and make some Rack Bushings. No drilling needed they press in, 15 minutes per side. The steering input now is so much more responsive.

Gives you that "New Car" feel. C U in Tejas Boys ! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Sweet! You made extras right? Lol
    2008 Kia Rio- new beater
    1987 F-150- revived and CLEAN!!!
    1987 Suzuki Dual Sport- fun beater bike
    1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD
    1997 Aspire- Peaspire, Refurb'd, sold
    1997 Aspire- Babyspire, DD
    1994 Aspire - Project Kiazord
    1994 Aspire- Crustyspire, RIP

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

If you don't mind. What are the dimensions?
      91 Festiva BP Autocross/Track/Rallycross hopeful
      14 C7 Z51

Comment

Originally posted by zoom zoom View Post
        Sweet! You made extras right? Lol
        LOL for my Other two cars,but I can make some more when I get back.
        Originally posted by Grey Vw View Post
        If you don't mind. What are the dimensions?
        No problem I dont have the specs here will try to post them later.

Comment

What kinda material did you use to make those?
          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

"If it moves, grease it, if it don't, paint it, and if it ain't broke don't fix it!"

Comment

People have had a problem with pressing these in only to pop out again. I used a set screw for mine. Mine were made from Delrin.
            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

How much play did you have after installing those? I leave < .002" (checked with a DTI 1" from the housing) - and if you don't put a set screw in they pop out pretty quick. So unless you've got it pretty loose on the rack I be its going to pop out by the time you're back from TX!

Of course, you may find that is not true in your case.
              ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
              91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
              1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
              2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

Originally posted by nitrofarm View Post
                Driving this Aspire on a 2200 mile road trip to Texas in 4 days.

Bought an" ATSCO" reman rack from Rock Auto. It came with one new and one used inner tie rod! And the outer nylon rack bushings were worse than my original drool
                Decided to take the "Bull by the horns" and make some Rack Bushings. No drilling needed they press in, 15 minutes per side. The steering input now is so much more responsive.

Gives you that "New Car" feel. C U in Tejas Boys ! :thumbs_up::thumbs_up::thumbs_up:
                rockauto would be replacing that rack with a good one at no cost

Comment

Originally posted by M3NTAL View Post
                  People have had a problem with pressing these in only to pop out again. I used a set screw for mine. Mine were made from Delrin.
                  That just makes them split in half, one if mine did. I ended up drilling holes into the Delrin 180 apart and having the set screws half deep in there.
                  2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                  1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Originally posted by skeeters_keeper View Post
                    How much play did you have after installing those? I leave < .002" (checked with a DTI 1" from the housing) - and if you don't put a set screw in they pop out pretty quick. So unless you've got it pretty loose on the rack I be its going to pop out by the time you're back from TX!

Of course, you may find that is not true in your case.
                    Its all in the R&D guys- I did testing with proto types and you have to bore the id larger than needed.Then when you press them in,the id shrinks to the exact size you need.
                    The good- Dont need a set screw,drill & tap.
                    Drivers side can be installed without removing the rack @ 15 minutes per side.
                    Doesnt hinder the steering travel at all.
                    Installs with a 19mm deep wall socket on an extention and hammer.
                    The Bad- Once they are in you cant remove them without a Navy Seal extraction team. So you want to make sure that your rack is in good shape.
                    Trust me I had to pull some out and its a Dirty word.But the steering input is really good.I could feel the difference before I got out of the driveway. And on my 50 mile work commute we had 25 mph gust's and the car never felt so good.
                    Last edited by nitrofarm; 11-07-2013, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Thomas, does this mean you have fixed the shimmy that you keep asking me about? lol. Lord I hope so. :p
                      Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

Originally posted by Advancedynamix View Post
                        Thomas, does this mean you have fixed the shimmy that you keep asking me about? lol. Lord I hope so. :p
                        Ha! Nope its still there but I think I've got it narrowed down to the front mount. It did get way better when I replaced the rack itself.Once I got it out and on the bench. I realized that it had slop @ center that you could only feel when you turned the shaft by hand.

Comment

Did you see the thread yesterday or day before with skeeter keeper talking about tightening up the internal brass bushing? I stripped that 12mm head trying to get a rack apart, I guess you end to loosen the big nut first, snug up the little one and tighten the big one down to lock it in place!
                          2008 Kia Rio- new beater
                          1993 Festiva- Fiona, DD

Comment

Nate or Mark What side was popping out ? And was there a circumstance that I can duplicate to try to get mine to pop out? ie full right hand turn into a incline driveway- Just wondering if its a specific side or wheel position.Thx-

Comment

Working...
                            X