new tires for aspire swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new tires for aspire swap

Hi all, Im just finishing up pulling all my aspire suspension and getting everything ready to swap over to my festy. I would like to go ahead and get some new tires for the aspire rims that way im done with it for a little while and can enjoy driving it. I would like to get some of yalls feedback/expertise on some tires. Keep in mind i will not be cutting my aspire springs or lowering my car in a any way. I would like a little taller tire and all the ground clearance i can get. I use this car as a daily driver to and from work and also use it around the farm to do odd jobs.
    So in a nutshell im looking for a little taller tire for the 13" aspire rims. Ive found some on ebay and love the tread. If anybody has any input i would greatly Appreciate it.
    TIA

90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Originally posted by kingstonpygmies View Post
    Hi all, Im just finishing up pulling all my aspire suspension and getting everything ready to swap over to my festy. I would like to go ahead and get some new tires for the aspire rims that way im done with it for a little while and can enjoy driving it. I would like to get some of yalls feedback/expertise on some tires. Keep in mind i will not be cutting my aspire springs or lowering my car in a any way. I would like a little taller tire and all the ground clearance i can get. I use this car as a daily driver to and from work and also use it around the farm to do odd jobs.
    So in a nutshell im looking for a little taller tire for the 13" aspire rims. Ive found some on ebay and love the tread. If anybody has any input i would greatly Appreciate it.
    TIA

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-DENMAN-EXP...fd73eb&vxp=mtr
    Any time you see a "ST" in front of a tire discription it means it was designed for trailer use.
    You can get fairly cheap tires at Tires Plus for your Aspire rims. 175/70R13 cost @ $40.00 mounted and balanced if my memory serves me- But those Denmans you looked at are boat trailer tires.
    Some people like to read fiction,I prefer to read repair manuals. Weird I know-
    Henry Ford: "Failure is the opportunity to begin again more intelligently"
    Fuseable Link Distribution Block repair link

Comment

Didn't know that about the st. I just liked the 175-80-13 size and it seems like all of those are trailer tires. I'll check out tires plus. Thanks a lot

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
      90 festy with 92 FI motor. Digital camo paint. BHAF. short throw. currently 47 MPGs

Comment

Didn't know that about the st. I just liked the 175-80-13 size and it seems like all of those are trailer tires. I'll check out tires plus. Thanks a lot

Sent from Kingston Ga from my hillbilly handheld
        No problem its a common mistake.Tirerack.com is great also,I'm currently running 2 Aspires with Generals purchased from them. I worked for Good Year many years so I still get "Government Discounts" at my old work place. And the manager there always gives me dirty looks, when I show up with them for mounting. But they cant beat the prices we get from Tire Crack. :thumbs_up:

Comment

What size tires are you running Nitro? I cant find the tires i want that arent trailer tires. I might just have to do alot of tire size calculations to get the tallest tire i can for a 13

Comment

I may just have to go up to a 14 inch wheel to get more options on a taller tire. I want to get out cheap as possible but i am willing to spend a little more money to get it right the first time.

Comment

I may just have to go up to a 14 inch wheel to get more options on a taller tire. I want to get out cheap as possible but i am willing to spend a little more money to get it right the first time.
              I would stick with the 13's but thats just me. They are light and cheap and still fairly easy to purchase.

Comment

What size tires are you running Nitro? I cant find the tires i want that arent trailer tires. I might just have to do alot of tire size calculations to get the tallest tire i can for a 13
                175/70R13 with Aspire shocks in the rear. (the Aspire shock has the perch raised to accommodate the wider tire) Thats whats on my Festy,my Aspires both have 14's- But the 14's are heavier due to extra rubber and aluminum wheels.MPG got worse with the 14's so you have to be carefull what you put on. Thats why I said just go with steel 13" wheels and rear Aspire shocks. Easy,Cheap and MUCH MUCH better than crappy 12's- You'll be happy with 13's :thumbs_up:

Comment

Keep the diameter down. Trust me.
                  91GL BP/F3A with boost
                  13.79 @ 100, 2.2 60' on 8 psi and 155R12's

Comment

My limits to a street car would be:

175/70-13 or 155/80-13
                    185/60-14 or 175/65-14
                    195/50-15

I think the 175/65-14s above are a bit taller than the others, which are all within 3 to 4mm in height, the group being around 20mm taller than the stock 145/80 or 165/70-12s.

A set of proper 175/80-13s would be 16mm taller than the 155/80s, putting them 36mm taller than stock. Not a good idea, even if they fit, unless you really know what you're doing and intend the car for off-road or other specialized use with appropriate upgrades in suspension and brakes, etc.

Karl
                    Last edited by Safety Guy; 11-17-2013, 10:46 PM.
                    '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                    '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                    '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                    '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                    '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

185-70-13 are what i just baught, was that a bad idea? I havent done my apsirr swap yet, i baught rims and tires 4x100 and now im going to do the swap. Anyways, i have no idea what im doing or what will work. I saw the rims, liked them, baught them without researching .ha, impulse.
                      Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
                      Red 88festiva L 4spd
                      Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Comment

What do the numbers mean, 185 hight? 70width? Why do they work better in the different combinations? Safetyguy have you tried the sizes you listed?
                        Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
                        Red 88festiva L 4spd
                        Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

Comment

Now I'm running 175/60-13s, but I'll be changing to 175/70-13 snows soon. They do sometimes rub a bit in the back on the fenders when I hit a bump.

Karl
                          '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                          '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                          '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                          '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                          '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Working...
                          X