Studs - ice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studs - ice

Hey race boys, I found a shop to stuff in Studs, i just need a place to buy carbide stud inserts...

Help appreciated.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

No no no no no no no no no no no

Strictly off road. So, where are the racers getting their fun grips for ice play?

Comment

Nm. Found a place. $20 a tire

Comment

I'm studding snow grips, then loading them with about 4gal of windshield washing fluid. Not sure, trying to stay within the 80 percent fill area.

A loaded tire with a studded footprint, should make quite a difference, as the suspension won't be carrying the extra weight.

I'll let you folks know.

Comment

Heck when I bought my Firestone Winterforce tires from tirerack there was a box to the far right on their web page that had studding as an option.

I called them to see what sort of lead time they needed and got them done.

Boy do they grip!!!

Seems strange to be able to drive the posted speed limit when there is a glaze on the road....LOL.

Comment

'unlawful' in Michigan.

So I had to carry them in and ask, and specify off road use.

I'm still pondering an easy way to pump fluid in such a small stem. Reason tractor stems are so big.

Easiest method I can come up with is pressuring a tank full of fluid, upside down it, pump tire until 30s, bleed out tire, repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by jason_ View Post
              'unlawful' in Michigan.
              The last I knew, only in the lower part of the lower pennisula on non emergency vehicles. Oh wait, that's where I live....lol.

I simply bought the tires and mounted them myself. I also only install them if the roads are icey and I absolutely need to drive out of town. Takes like 20 minutes for me to swap out the wheels so it's not too big of a deal.

I also figure if the police have nothing better to do in the winter than be concerned about if I'm running studded tires I must live in a really low crime rate area....lol.
              Last edited by lessersivad; 11-27-2013, 06:03 PM.

Comment

Yes, yes and yes.

I have a 2nd set of rims and plan on the same strategy.

Will dry pavement raise hell with them?

Comment

I don't really know how much damage to the studs would occur on dry pavement being in general a Festiva weighs around 1800-1900 lbs. For that matter i don't really know how much damage to the road surface would occur for the same reason.

I would think it would be dependent on a couple of factors. One being distance traveled and the other being driving style (read agressiveness).

I did drive around for a short period on non iced roads simply to see how the tires handled and to see what the noise would be like.

I found them to be more "squishy" (for lack of a better term) than the regular tires. It felt almost like the tires were underinflated when cornering. I would imagine this was from the much softer compound and the individual tread blocks. The noise reminded me of having a stone between the tread, X's 100....lol.

Comment

I asked because I'm sure when I did use them to overcome ice in the morning , there'd be 20-30 miles of the return trip being dry/non snowed/iced.

Curious on that behalf. I figured they'd be sloppy/squishy feeling

I'm in a the aspire too.

Last edited by jason_; 11-28-2013, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Man awesome!

Now I need to find a way to squirt windshield fluid in them and make them loaded.......

Comment

Comment

Punch a hole in the tread where the valve stem is. Rotate to the top. Insert a bleed pipe(piece of brake line?) into the hole, and fill through the stem? Plug the hole when finished?
                          Last edited by sketchman; 12-17-2013, 10:12 AM.
                          Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                          91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Whoa. I was gonna take an old propane tank, fill full, have a dip tube, pressure it, pump fluid into tire until tire is 35osi, rotate stem high, let air out, rinse and repeat.

May need to braze some tiff tofehter to make it happen.

Comment

If they are on steelies I'd drill another valve stem hole opposite of the current one, and pop second valve stem in. Then take the core out of both and fill through the one on the bottom. That way you can fill as much as you want with fluid before you pressurize anything. Then put both cores back and pump air to the pressure you want.
                              No festiva for me ATM...

Comment

Working...
                              X