common question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• common question

Everyone asks these questions but ive got mine.

Im about to aspirr swap rear, this i know for sure. I take everything including ebrake cable? Read lots of threads so it serms straight forward. Still nervous.

So the front, im debating, kio rio or aspire, or what?
    I drive really aggrrssive. REALLY AGGRRSSIVE. I wsnt it to stick, not roll, break fast, on a budget.

I have 13" x 6" wheels with 185-70-13 tires, are these going to fit?

I dont know the offset.

Im excited but i want this thing to be solid and smooth. I also dont wsnt any surprises when im putting it together.
    Yellow 91 festiva GL 5speed
    Red 88festiva L 4spd
    Blue 91festiva L 5spd (bad tranny, sloppy suspension)

I don't have any experience with the Kio Rio, but I know the Aspire knuckles could take the abuse of a rough dirt circle track. We broke several Festiva knuckles (see pic below), but we never broke an Aspire one. I used both 5-1/2" and 6" wide 13" rims with the 185-70-13 tires and no problems although I always used tubes because we ran low air pressure and if somebody hits your tire with their bumper, you don't get an instant flat from a seal break at the bead.
    You gonna race that thing?
    http://www.sdfcomputers.com/Festivaracing.htm

Comment

Hey man, call or text me. Lets talk I have one with Aspire swap all around and one with the Rio/Aspire. Hit me up 502-264-1391 or text.
      Last edited by Pu241; 12-06-2013, 05:51 AM.

Comment

Aspire/Rio goodies are beefier than Festy components if that makes you feel any better. Compare the body pivot bracket of the trailing arm of Aspire vs Festy and you'll immediately see what I mean. Aspire e-brake is about 3/8-1/2 inch longer than OEM Festy. My swap retains a Festy cable (Aspire cable was toast) but I didn't have any trouble hooking it up after considerably loosening the cable nut right at the handbrake. Other folks make small extenders to reach the brake arm at both backing plates.
        185/70-13 tires are gonna be way oversize in my opinion (175/70, to me, is already large) but then again forum members seem to be bolting on all kinds of stuff so who am I to say.

Comment

Festy, thank you for the feedback. Festy knuckles are super crappy. I slide the car around a bit and i drive at the limits on back country rodes. This car does ok if its just me in it, i had a car full one day, brakes fade super fast with 4 people and there was a load pop in passanger side. Ooops. 40Mph ebrake slides are fun but rough on rides.

Chris thank you, im spending time with family today but ill call you tomorrow. Pick and pull has half off sale, im going to pull the swap parts.
          Thank you bert.
          Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

You can fit 185/70x13s with Aspire rear struts (taller lower spring perch) and 6mm (1/4") spacers.
            90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
            09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

I was going to use aspire struts when i did the swap but your saying also need spacers, hmmm, maybe new plan.
              Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

If you use Aspire rear struts make sure you get Monroe's. The rest are the same as Festiva.
                Jerry
                Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

so that was the random number that texted me happy Thanksgiving this afternoon! It was Chris happy Thanksgiving everyone.

OP's question ask how to make our cars stick and I am still on complete stock suspension. Making the choice tomuch smaller side wall really brings the car alive. I have had mustangs and other cars turboed etc that already come factory with ok tires when you add performance tires it's not the night and day difference I experienced. yes I went from 80 series to 45 series but I still imagine going to a 50 or 55 will be just like it with aspire pieces that are fresh.
                  1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

So clearance is a real issue it seems with my tire purchase. does anyone have pictures of suspension stuff? I want to know shock difference. Festy and aspire are same?
                    Red 88festiva L 4spd

Comment

They interchange but as stated earlier the perch for spring is located more friendly for aftermarket wherls or when lowering the car. Up front you shojld look into kia rio strut mount, ford frstiva or aspire model struts. I'm using everything off a rio because I got left n right complete for $20 but I'm not sure if the ride height is still going to be too high after cutting out some spring
                      1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

A member who knows his S is advancedynamix. Hes in the search cloud as much as engine swap. First decide if you want to lower your car or just want it to perform like its new. Since he has multiple cars in multiple configuations i trust all his insight for different applications.
                        1993 GL 5 speed

Comment

advancedynamix helped me get my suspension swap together, hes a great guy and knows his s..stuff. I cant wait to get back to the states and drive my baby.
                          91' Festiva GL Auto EFI--- BP swapped, G-Series swap in the works.
                          Adjustable VW MK2 front suspension and Aspire disc brakes
                          Aspire rear axle and drum swapped with adjustable KYB rear suspension

LOOKING FOR RUST FREE SHELL IN CALIFORNIA

Comment

Working...
                          X