No announcement yet.

lowering/replacing festiva suspension.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lowering/replacing festiva suspension.

I have an 89, front struts and rear shocks are completely gone. thought about lowering it w new parts. new springs/struts/shocks. just about a 1" or 2" drop. any suggestions? i don't want to cut springs.

FMS springs are approx 11" in length. I have those on mine and it's got a nice stance with only a small amount of scrub when going over large bumps. You can use Advancedynamic thread and build your on coilovers. That's one option. I'm sure several others will post their opinions.

Since you are talking about replacing the struts, I'd use 2001 Rio front struts with the correct top mount. It gives you a ball bearing on the top instead of the friction ring on the stock Festiva mount.
    Last edited by Team Lightning; 12-04-2013, 12:12 AM.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

I second the Rio mounts and struts. You'll need to use either cut Aspire or Rio springs, use stock Festiva springs, use uncut Aspire springs, or go coil over.

Don't combine Rio mounts with Aspire or Festiva struts since the mount center hole is different. You can fab a work-around, but I think that's too much work for no real gain.

Also, this is just for the front. Rio rears are too different to use.

Karl
      '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
      '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
      '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
      '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
      '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Id use rio front assembly and aspire rear strut/spring the aspire rears r a little stiffer and will support more weight to so good luck this is what i have on mine

Comment

Preceding advice is all good. If budget is low and looking for 'biggest bang for the buck' scavenge springs/struts/top hats (2 hole, not the later 3 hole type) off an early Rio and rear springs/shocks off an Aspire. Cutting springs is not a huge ordeal nor a drudge to install and allows you to carefully tailor the ride. Buzzing off one entire coil ought to get you the height you want and not require you to wear a kidney belt. My experience with now-defunct FMS lowering springs was not as positive as were the cut Aspire springs I have on now. Second the motion to install Rio top hats: truly a great move in order to achieve 'poor man's power steering'!
          If time/effort/money is not an object then seek out forum member Advancedynamix posts on suspension modifications; he has sophistication and geometry right down to an art.

Comment

i may just end up replacing the shocks and struts and leaving the springs alone.

Comment

I'd still use the Rio fronts along with the Rio top mount even with the stock springs.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

OEM Festys 'corner on their doors' and you always feel like they're about to tip or roll over if you suddenly haul on the wheel at highway speed. Swapping over to Aspire/Rio springs makes a big difference. Uncut springs are going to raise the car about 3/4 inch which isn't so bad if you become a curb hopper like me. Betcha new Aspire(Avella) springs via FourGreen in Korea are quite affordable.
                Now that I'm running 175/70-13 snows for the winter (23" dia vs 21" OEM Festy) my DD car actually looks normal.

Comment

Working...
                X