sucky suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sucky suspension

ive noticed more and more that my driver side hangs lower than the passenger and practically every corner i turn left on no matter what speed im going my tire on that side rubs. so ive decided that i want to change it in some way so that there isn't going to be anymore rubbing and i need to raise the car no more than an inch. any suggestions for someone with very limited tools and very little experience.

On my 90 just replacing the struts helped it sit higher. I never thought it would but for some reason it raised it up a little. (Front struts had over 150K on them and the rears had over 263K on them when they were replaced.) I replaced them with Gabriel Gas charged struts maybe that had something to do with it.
    Jerry
    Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
    90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
    92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
    93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Our cars are now officially old and it is very likely yours could use new shocks and springs. New shocks will not affect the ride height but will reduce the springy-ness when you go over bumps. New springs will get to back to the original ride height.
      If you are running OEM wheels there should be no rubbing no matter how 'bagged' the shocks and springs are. There is ample room inside the wheel wells for skinny 12 inch tires.
      Festy springs are going to be problematic to obtain unless you go through FourGreen in Korea.

Comment

Bert, Mine did raise up a little with the gas struts. Why, I don't know. I just know it DID sit higher after they were installed than before the struts were installed.
        Jerry
        Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
        93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

The strut could be assisting the spring, raising your suspension from where it was before. You may want to invest in new springs soon anyway so you don't put too much strain on your struts. That way your struts will last longer.
          -Coop

Comment

It has FMS springs on it now with an Aspire swap. At the time the struts were installed, new LCA's, sway bar bushings and struts were replaced. When I asked the mechanic how it raised back up, he could not explain it. I only know it went back to the factory height after the struts were changed. The factory struts were on the rear and the car had over 265,000 miles on it when they were changed. That was about 4 yrs ago and a lot has changed on it since then. It's over 337,000 miles and still going.

Hecka, where are you located?
            Last edited by Team Lightning; 12-29-2013, 12:39 AM.
            Jerry
            Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
            93 L Lightning. BP

Comment

Like I just posted in the what have you done today thread check that sway bar

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
              1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Aspire struts on mine front and rear and it stands up alittle higher and easier to put the wide 13's on it

92 GL was red automatic Ms Va., now Zinc Yellow

Comment

ok bert i run 155 80 r 13 beacuse any smaller and their to hard to come by where im at. (wth) did you have to mod anything to get the aspire struts on. and if get aspire struts would i need to get aspire shocks and springs?

Comment

I got some Aspire struts WITH the springs from a 97 Aspire at a JY. Been running strong for 4 years now! $15 each :mrgreen:
                    Dan

Red 1988 Festiva L - CUJO

Black 1992 Festiva GL Sport - BLACK MAGIC

I'm just...a little slow... sometimes:withstupid:

R.I.P.
                    Blue 1972 Chevelle SS-468 C.I.D. B'nM TH400-4:56 posi-Black racing stripes-Black vinyl top-Black int.
                    Black on black 1976 Camaro LT-350 4 bolt main .060 over
                    Silver 1988 Festiva L

My Music!
                    http://www.reverbnation.com/main/sea...t_songs/266647

Comment

Last edited by dwhite; 12-30-2013, 01:10 AM.

Comment

thanks ddran but i can buy them a shop in town, they have them in stock!! imagine that. and ill get a warrant if anything goes wrong thanks thou

Comment

Working...
                        X