Tire descision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire descision

I am going to need two new front tires since the uncut rio springs really screwed up my Cooper tires on my 13" Metro rims.

Discount tire by far has the cheapest tire selection.

But I can't decide on this bunch of tires.

175-70-13's

Minus the overpriced Michelin tire. I looked into the GT Radial tire, a review says they have poor winter traction, and some websites list them as Summer only tires, while some places like Discount tires say they are All Season.
    The other tires have slightly better warranties, with the Fisk classic tire looking like it would be best for winter.

Then I looked at tires in a different size talked about on the metro forum. 155-80-13.

This one with a massive 85kmile warranty and only $50 a piece, these Kumho Solus tires were the only ones that popped up.
    Although one review of a guy who put only 24k miles on them and said they are practically bald already.

What would you guys recommend?
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-03-2014, 01:41 PM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Are you set on that size for some reason?

I prefer this size in 13s, and they are cheap.

155/65/13
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

I always take treadwear complaints with a grain of salt. Some people have no idea that bad alignment and worn components can cause the tires to wear really fast. Being that the guy on the Kumho had a 1990 323, and couldnt afford new tires when they went, bad, I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in the condition of the suspension. I would go Kumho out of all the brands above. Here are some reviews from car people lol http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=1419984
      Oldest Festiva on the forum (so far) 3/87 LX - 225k
      89 Tracer 13" alloys and dome light. Pioneer stereo, all else is stock.

Comment

I've been using the Kumho Solus KR21 tires for years on four different cars. Three different sizes. Never had any issue with them, they are very long-lasting, and have good traction in all conditions (even decent in snow). A no-brainer replacement tire for me.
        Last edited by TominMO; 01-03-2014, 03:15 PM.
        90 Festy (Larry)--B6M (Matt D. modified B6 head), header, 5-speed, Capri XR2 front brakes, many other little mods
        09 Kia Rondo--a Festy on steroids!

You can avoid reality, but you can't avoid the consequences of avoiding reality--Ayn Rand

Disaster preparedness

Tragedy and Hope.....Infowars.com.....The Drudge Report.....Founding Fathers.info

Think for yourself.....question all authority.....re-evaluate everything you think you know. Red-pill yourself!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will go ahead and get the Kumho Solus tires next paycheck.

Originally posted by sketchman View Post
          Are you set on that size for some reason?

I prefer this size in 13s, and they are cheap.

155/65/13
          Nah I am open to really any size that will fit the rim, it was just discount tires didn't sell those particular sized tires.

Comment

Originally posted by TorqueEffect View Post
            I am going to need two new front tires since the uncut rio springs really screwed up my Cooper tires on my 13" Metro rims.
            OK, maybe I missed something, but why do you think it was the uncut springs.
            I assumed an alignment was done after the Rio spring install.
            Just curious as I'm considering this combo myself.
            '93 Blue 5spd 230K(down for clutch and overall maintanence)
            '93 White B6 swap thanks to Skeeters Keeper
            '92 Aqua parts Car
            '93 Turquoise 5spd 137K
            '90 White LX Thanks to FB71

"Your God of repentance will not save you.
            Your holy ghost will not save you.
            Your God plutonium will not save you.
            In fact...
            ...You will not be saved!"

Prince of Darkness -1987

Comment

Originally posted by Pu241 View Post
              OK, maybe I missed something, but why do you think it was the uncut springs.
              I assumed an alignment was done after the Rio spring install.
              Just curious as I'm considering this combo myself.
              No I never had an alignment done before or after. I didn't know the toe was out of spec which caused the extreme wear.

An alignment would fix the toe out developed by the uncut springs, but you will still have negative camber to deal with.
              Last edited by TorqueEffect; 01-03-2014, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X