brake booster/mc combo???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brake booster/mc combo???

What combo of booster/master cylinder are you guys running and how do you like it? Also what brake setup do you have to go with it? please post years of the donor. Thank you,

I am thinking the 99 Miata combo but...

Also thinking Aspire booster with EGT mc

Has anyone tried the XR2 combo or would it even work?
    -Bryant

NB miata master/booster. Have the parts but haven't installed yet.
    I know how to use the search function, I just don't always choose to use it. New modifications, solutions, and information are discovered every day and I want to know what the current concensus is for whatever topic I have in mind. Thank you for understanding this!

Comment

I have the 99 miata mc/booster setup on stock brakes - I like it, but I'd like slightly larger front brakes. I may try to get my hands on some Capri fronts b/c I'd like to keep the factory pattern on this car.

Keep in mind you have to make an extension for the miata setup; its not 100% drop in.
      ~Nate

the keeper of a wonderful lil car, Skeeter.

Current cars:
      91L "Skeeter" 170k, Aspire brakes, G15, BP, Advancedynamics coil overs, etc. My first love.
      1990 Kawasaki Ninja 250 - my gas saver, 60+mpg - 40k
      2004 MotoGuzzi Breva - my "longer range" bike - 17k

FOTY 2008 winner!

Comment

1993 BG protege booster, kia Rio master.
        You can use both BG master and booster in the USA and it will be the same.
        I used the Rio master because we're rhd over here and I needed to clear the timing belt.

The BG stuff fits straight in.

I've still to test and tweak mine.

The stock festi combo is a 3/4" master, and a 7" booster.
        If you upgrade the master to a 7/8" (Rio, protege, aspire, miata, Capri)
        But don't upgrade booster, you will feel like you need to press the brake extra hard to get the car to stop.

A bigger booster will give you more assistance.

The main difference between boosters and masters of the same size is their shape and profile.
        Boosters are most commonly available in 7,8,9 inch.
        Masters are most commonly available in 3/4, 7/8, and 1inch.

I think a BG protege master/booster combo with auto aspire fronts (and rear if you like) will work perfectly.
        Last edited by moz; 01-06-2014, 07:43 AM.
        1988 MAZDA 121- B6T + G5MR SWAP IN PROGRESS.

Comment

Thanks guys.
          -Bryant

Comment

I undertook the Aspire brake swap 3 years ago but left the Festy MC and booster in place only because the Aspire unit was larger and looked to be more work to install than I was prepared to do. And to be honest 30 K later I have no regrets.

Comment

^This.

Have the same setup as Bert, and it's very much stock feeling. Like everything involved in the system was there to begin with, just brakes much better. I even have the stock Festiva rears, and I have no problems with balance.
              Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
              91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

N/A miata master/booster ( required a line plug and a extend clevis) Aspire front brakes, stock rear brakes. It will out brake a Porsche gt3, and has great pedal response and is easy to modulate.
                Driving for me is neither a right nor a privilege. Driving is my passion, as it was for the people who invented the automobile, the people who paved the first roads and the people who continue to improve the automobile. Please respect this passion.

Comment

1994 EGT MC, stock '93 Festy booster , 1995Aspire ATX front brakes, stock rear. Love it , great, no fade. Will be doing Aspire rear in the near future.
                  Last edited by navdoc101; 01-12-2014, 07:34 AM.
                  If it don't fit, use a bigger hammer!

'93 Green L - ' Tiva

Comment

Stock '93 Festiva brakes on all 4 corners with a simple '94 Aspire M/C swap.

Comment

Originally posted by lessersivad View Post
                      Stock '93 Festiva brakes on all 4 corners with a simple '94 Aspire M/C swap.
                      So your running a stock booster, right? How is your pedal feel?
                      I know how to use the search function, I just don't always choose to use it. New modifications, solutions, and information are discovered every day and I want to know what the current concensus is for whatever topic I have in mind. Thank you for understanding this!

Comment

Originally posted by tripod808 View Post
                        NB miata master/booster. Have the parts but haven't installed yet.
                        Was there anything else apart from the booster and cylinder needed?

Sent from the depths of hell.
                        Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                        Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                        Highway - 7.32L/100km
                        City - yet to be determined.

Comment

With the miata brake setup, apart from the booster and master cylinder, will anything else be needed?

I noticed that the miata has this block sitting on the side.

Will that part be necessary or is that only useful for the mx5 or could I possibly use this as an upgrade to the festiva block?

Sent from the depths of hell.
                          Last edited by jawbraeka; 04-24-2014, 08:23 AM.
                          Ford Festiva 1991 WA Model (5 Door)
                          Nicknamed the car 'The Chiva' (Chilli Festiva)

Avg Economy:
                          Highway - 7.32L/100km
                          City - yet to be determined.

Comment

I have a protege brake booster in my BPT car. It's much slimmer than the festiva one.

I believe DamKid has the same one.
                            -M3NTAL MARK! Woo!!

Comment

Trash Wagon's booster failed, and as I am tired of the miss matched brake system, I matched the calipers/wheel cylinders (Aspire on this car), Master cylinder (7/8ths, looks like '90-'93 Miata), tire radius (runs 185-60R14), with a 9inch diameter booster (didn't bother with the math, just looked at OE late models). Not a lot of choices at the local u-pull-it, Mazda B2500 truck, '94 Kia Rio, 2000 Elantra. Though the Mazda truck one would have been the most direct fit, the crash damage precluded getting under the dash, and the Kia Rio turned out to be a compression barrel set-up so I ended up with the Elantra booster. Hummmm.
                              On the clevis end, the pin diameter is 10mm instead of 8mm, the shaft thread is 10 x 1.5 instead of 10 x 1.25 , and the mount dimension is .9 inch shorter. Ok, took a Miata clevis ( same as Festiva) and welded on a coupling nut in 10 x 1.5mm size (hardware store), put it on the shaft and adjusted length to match Festiva (5.5 inches from booster mounting face to clevis hole center).
                              On the master end, the drive rod is NOT the standard .620 inch protrusion beyond the master mounting face, its shorter! My antique shop tool for adjusting these is awol, so I used an offset needle nose vice-grip and 7mm spanner to adjust.
                              When fitting to the car,I had to adjust the fuel filter a little lower in it's bracket, and the 9 inch booster fits right in. The four mounting studs are not threaded all the way down however, so require 1/2 inch spacers before the nuts go on. Master fits as usual. Vacuum port same as Festiva.
                              Road tested with street tires, with and without trailer with Miata loaded on, and with track tires ( DOT slicks ).
                              Pedal travel is not as deep as I would like but sensitivity is very good, easy to threshold brake under all conditions, overall I am pleased with the results.
                              Next time I will spend more time looking for the Mazda truck or similar booster for a more straight forward fitment, and a .700 diameter master to get more travel, if such is still made these days.
                              No car too fast !

Comment

Working...
                              X