Unibody seam welding for increased chassis rigidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unibody seam welding for increased chassis rigidity

So I've been researching about different ways that people increase the stiffness in their fwd cars. Something I came across on rallyanarchy and grassrootsmotorsports is seam welding. Has anyone done this to their festiva? What differences have you noticed?

I will probably end up doing this down the road but probably after I install a cage.
    I know how to use the search function, I just don't always choose to use it. New modifications, solutions, and information are discovered every day and I want to know what the current concensus is for whatever topic I have in mind. Thank you for understanding this!

Shorstiva seem welded his car, looks good but i think he was complaining he got burned a few times, would be helpuful to put on a rotisserie.

Comment

Based on what Advancedynamix has posted I would say it's not really necessary with the Festiva. I'm on my my phone otherwise I'd post a link to his threads on the advantages of the Festiva chassis.

Sent from somewhere west of here via Tapatalk!
      Ian
      Calgary AB, Canada
      93 L B6T: June 2016 FOTM
      59 Austin Healey "Bugeye" Sprite

"It's infinitely better to fail with courage than to sit idle with fear...." Chip Gaines (pg 167 of Capital Gaines, Smart Things I Learned Doing Stupid Stuff)

Link to the "Road Trip Starting Points" page of my Econobox Café blog

Comment

Originally posted by fastivaca View Post
        Based on what Advancedynamix has posted I would say it's not really necessary with the Festiva. I'm on my my phone otherwise I'd post a link to his threads on the advantages of the Festiva chassis.
        I hear what your saying and I remember reading what he wrote BUT I want to build a verstaile car that will do auto-x as well as rally-X. It's the rally-x that concerns me the most as there will be various courses that may include small jumps as well as head to head competition. I want to be able to drive the car there and back if at all possible so I want it to be overbuilt and as bulletproof as possible. I don't want the rally-x to excessively loosen my chassis in the long run.
        I know how to use the search function, I just don't always choose to use it. New modifications, solutions, and information are discovered every day and I want to know what the current concensus is for whatever topic I have in mind. Thank you for understanding this!

Comment

Originally posted by Hot_Wheels View Post
          Shorstiva seem welded his car, looks good but i think he was complaining he got burned a few times, would be helpuful to put on a rotisserie.
          Getting burnt from welding is half the fun for me! Haha

Comment

Thread 17831 . It is very easy to use the search engine.
            Last edited by bravekozak; 01-19-2014, 08:25 AM.

Comment

It's a royal PITA only way I'd do it again is if I'd have the shell acid dipped or soda blasted first. Welding was easy cleaning of all the seam sealer was the hard part.
              Better Than Nothing Racing

Way too many cars

:woc:

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                It's a royal PITA only way I'd do it again is if I'd have the shell acid dipped or soda blasted first. Welding was easy cleaning of all the seam sealer was the hard part.
                I was going to mention...

Clean material is the only way to have quality welds.

Sent from my rooted HTC Supersonic using Tapatalk 2 Pro

Comment

The only place I would weld for _extreme_ rallyx thrashing would be the strut mounts in front. If you look at Festivas that have been excessively jumped and trashed (like, a bunch of hicks and a non-roadworthy car seeing how badly you can abuse the thing before it refuses to move kind of thing) that's the only thing that ever fails. strut.jpg
                  That said, officials at rallyx type events generally pick/make a course that's not going to destroy cars- it's not much fun if everyone who showed up leaves with their car on a flatdeck. I've done a few rallyx events in mine and the only things that aren't factory about my chassis are the semi-severe rust (nature's weight reduction. Better than carbon fiber bro) and the sledgehammer mod I did to clear the BP alternator.
                  Hell, caging it is overkill unless it's a safety requirement for the events/classes you're planning to enter.

Comment

The only thing on the Festiva that needs to be reinforced is the front sway bar/lower rad support, according to Advanced. I'd do the seams on the front struts and the firewall...a Festy with some power might feel like it wants to rip the front end off lol.
                    1993 Festiva L "Wendy" BP n' stuff
                    2013 Mazdaspeed 3 "The Kraken" -Stock.

Dave Forget

Comment

Originally posted by shorestiva View Post
                      Duly noted, I'll have to take that into consideration. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tommychu View Post
                        The only place I would weld for _extreme_ rallyx thrashing would be the strut mounts in front. If you look at Festivas that have been excessively jumped and trashed (like, a bunch of hicks and a non-roadworthy car seeing how badly you can abuse the thing before it refuses to move kind of thing) that's the only thing that ever fails.
                        Thanks, this is the kind of info that I'm looking for. It's people who have abused the festiva that have done invaluable R&D on finding the weak points.

[/QUOTE]I've done a few rallyx events in mine and the only things that aren't factory about my chassis are the semi-severe rust (nature's weight reduction. Better than carbon fiber bro) and the sledgehammer mod I did to clear the BP alternator.
                        Hell, caging it is overkill unless it's a safety requirement for the events/classes you're planning to enter.[/QUOTE]
                        Haha, I guess I have a lot of nature's weight reduction too! I agree that a cage may be overkill but I assume that after I do my aspire brakes, tweak the suspension, and swap the motor down the road, I will be in the modified class. The cage requirement for that class is "Minimum*Single*Hoop*with*two*Kickers;*Securely*mo unted*(welded*or*bolted)." I thought about staying in the stock class but i enjoy making modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by defprun View Post
                          The only thing on the Festiva that needs to be reinforced is the front sway bar/lower rad support, according to Advanced. I'd do the seams on the front struts and the firewall...a Festy with some power might feel like it wants to rip the front end off lol.
                          I plan on welding up a beefy lower radiator support. Just need to buy or borrow a welder since the welder that I already own is on another island. I'll definitely look into those particular areas, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                          X