Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would these rims from Discount Tire fit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would these rims from Discount Tire fit?

Was thinking of getting out of steel wheels, and getting something with a bit of flash.

I was looking at these duel pattern Konig Incident wheels from Discount tire, and just wondering if they will fit? They are 13X5.54-100/114.38

Of course I probably will have to install wheel studs, because these will probably not take lugbolts, but I would want to do that anyway so I can install locking lugs, because the last thing I want is some douche wad steeling them. Even though they will probably bust out my window to look for the key.

But if they do fit, what size tire would you recommend?
    Last edited by TorqueEffect; 02-11-2014, 09:28 PM.
    1991 Ford Festiva BP (Full Aspire/Rio Swap) (337k Miles) (Around 95k Engine)
    2002 Chevy Cavalier LS Sport 2.2L DOHC Ecotec (Threw a Rod)
    1998 Chevy Monte Carlo LS 3.1 V6 (225k miles) Best MPG = 28

Nevermind, they will fit.

Found with a simple search that at least 2 people here are running these exact rims, with the exact same tires I was wanting to use.

Comment

175 70 13 & no studs needed
      Never Hire a Boy to do a Man's Job!!

Comment

Originally posted by kumalaba View Post
        175 70 13 & no studs needed
        Awesome, thanks.

I still will probably install studs, that or find locking lugbolts (I have seen them)

Comment

may i suggest staying away 13 inch wheels shopping online still ultimate way to save money if you have a problem with those brand new tires a heavy populated area such as california you're going to experience a week of downtime still. Been there.
          1993 GL 5 speed

It's a MazdaFordnKia thing, and you will understand!

Comment

Originally posted by getnpsi View Post
            may i suggest staying away 13 inch wheels shopping online still ultimate way to save money if you have a problem with those brand new tires a heavy populated area such as california you're going to experience a week of downtime still. Been there.
            I appreciate the concern, but I don't want 14"s or bigger, mainly because I don't feel like buying another 2 tires when I have 2 perfectly good 13" Cooper Tires that have lots of tread that I can transplant. Also tires jump almost $20 a piece from 13" to 14". Plus I never plan on going any bigger than Aspire/Rio brakes, so that isn't a problem either.

Also DiscountTireDirect gives me $50 off the full set, when I don't get that $50 off at a actual Discount Tire location. ($280 for the full set shipped with valve stems installed)

Comment

I recommend going to studs. It makes it easier to mount the wheels on the car for one thing and you have a good selection of lugs for your new wheels.
              Jerry
              Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
              90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
              92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
              93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

Sizes 175/70 and 155/80 thirteens should be available for quite awhile yet, and they will usually be the cheapest smallest tires commonly available nationwide, including used tires from a 'yard in an emergency.

If you will be mounting another 13" size, then you might rethink this, as the 185/60-14 size would be the next step up in size and affordability.

Karl
                '93GL "Prettystiva" ticking B3 and 5 speed, backup DD; full swaps in spring!
                '91L "AquaMutt" my '91L; B6 swap/5 speed & Aspire brakes, DD/work car
                '92L "Twinstiva" 5sp, salvage titled, waiting for repairs...
                '93GL "Luxstiva," '94 B6 engine & ATX; needs overhauled
                '89L "Muttstiva," now a storage bin, future trailer project

Comment

Also check ebay.co.uk. There are guys selling barely used 13s in sizes we can hardly get here, and I imagine they will be for a good long time on that side of the pond. CHEAP too. After shipping I'd bet they still come out cheaper than new 14s.
                  Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
                  91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Originally posted by Safety Guy View Post
                    Sizes 175/70 and 155/80 thirteens should be available for quite awhile yet, and they will usually be the cheapest smallest tires commonly available nationwide, including used tires from a 'yard in an emergency.

If you will be mounting another 13" size, then you might rethink this, as the 185/60-14 size would be the next step up in size and affordability.

Karl
                    At least with the Metro wheels, 175 width seems to be my limit, because on the rear they look like just just barely clear the spring perches.

Plus I think 14"s would start to look out of proportion, like they are too big for the car.

Comment

i just purchased 4 falken 185 60 14s for 191.00 shipped from discounttire direct. they have some 175 70 13s for the same amount but i dont remember the brand. the 13s are perfect for a b3 or b6 sohc car & i agree for your car the 13s are the right size
                      Last edited by kumalaba; 02-13-2014, 11:07 AM.

Comment

ok torque on discounttiredirect you can get 4 geostars 175 70 13s for 187.88 w free ship or falkens for 208.00 same size & free ship also.
                        Last edited by kumalaba; 02-13-2014, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Don't use lock lugs! They're pointless! If YOU have a key for the lugs, someone else does too. Not to mention that you have to carry the key with you in case you need to throw the spare on, not to mention that they do wear out faster than standard lugs. Here's a true story: I got some tires online. I had been using studs and nuts for a while. I realized one of the tires was faulty, so I arranged to return all 4 tires (tires-easy bit me too) and so I jacked up the car and pulled 3 of 4 nuts off the front left rim before the key and nut stripped at the same time on lug 4. Long story short, this caused me to miss my return deadline and I ate the cost of the tires. Here's the kicker: I limped the car to the tire shop I got the lugs from and showed what happened. The mechanic grabbed a socket that bites the lug when you hit it with a hammer and had the lug off in 5 minutes. That invalidates the security nut entirely. The mechanic said that the tool isn't cheap but he got his set at a pawn shop, meaning any thief could get one. I went back to lug bolts from the studs because some of them had rusted and I don't want my wheels breaking off. Not saying it would happen to everyone, but I won't go back. I found out that the Toyota Corolla Enkei wheels I have use stock Festiva lug stud length and seat. I wish I had checked that before, but you live & learn.
                          In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                          There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Originally posted by DriverOne View Post
                            Don't use lock lugs! They're pointless! If YOU have a key for the lugs, someone else does too. Not to mention that you have to carry the key with you in case you need to throw the spare on, not to mention that they do wear out faster than standard lugs. Here's a true story: I got some tires online. I had been using studs and nuts for a while. I realized one of the tires was faulty, so I arranged to return all 4 tires (tires-easy bit me too) and so I jacked up the car and pulled 3 of 4 nuts off the front left rim before the key and nut stripped at the same time on lug 4. Long story short, this caused me to miss my return deadline and I ate the cost of the tires. Here's the kicker: I limped the car to the tire shop I got the lugs from and showed what happened. The mechanic grabbed a socket that bites the lug when you hit it with a hammer and had the lug off in 5 minutes. That invalidates the security nut entirely. The mechanic said that the tool isn't cheap but he got his set at a pawn shop, meaning any thief could get one. I went back to lug bolts from the studs because some of them had rusted and I don't want my wheels breaking off. Not saying it would happen to everyone, but I won't go back. I found out that the Toyota Corolla Enkei wheels I have use stock Festiva lug stud length and seat. I wish I had checked that before, but you live & learn.
                            But I was looking at these Gorilla ones, apparently they are heat treated hardened steel. http://www.gorilla-auto.com/lug-bolt-locks

I figured some security is better than none. My car is my daily driver, and isn't garage kept, also it sits in a fairly busy parking lot for 5 hours a day while I am working. If it wasn't a daily driver, and I lived in a rural town, then I wouldn't worry about it. But I have seen too many cars with aftermarket wheels that are always missing at least 1.
                            Last edited by TorqueEffect; 02-13-2014, 11:14 PM.

Comment

I understand. I guess that my rims won't be stolen just 'cause they're not 20"+, but you're right, and you still get a few bucks for aluminum rims at the scrapper...
                              In love with a MadScientist!:thumbright:
                              There's a fine line between breathtaking ingenuity and "That's the stupidest thing I've ever seen!"

Comment

Working...
                              X