Brakes or Swap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes or Swap?

Just purchased my first festiva and can hear the bearings growl and the brakes are junk. Is it worth just going ahead and trying to do the aspire 4x100 swap with the brakes or just rebuild what i have.

Rebuild of what i have seems simple but also seems like it would be kind of a waste of money since I think that even used aspire stuff will probably be better then some new festiva brakes.

I need to really tear it apart and see what all i need first i suppose. It pulls to the right under acceleration and to the left under braking. Definitely needs love.

I have both a car with good stock brakes and one with an Aspire/Rio swap. The swap is a vast improvement over the stock stuff even when the stock parts are in good shape. It just feels right if that makes sense. Especially if you plan on bigger wheels/tires I'd go ahead and swap it.
    Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
    91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Ill have to reread what all is needed and see if i can source it from the junkyard. I need to do a bunch of work to it getting it up to par to drive on the road

Comment

No question. Swap. Dump the solid rotors for vented ones. If you are good with a hacksaw and a vice, then buy some -3 teflon-lined stainless flex hose + fittings and replace all four of your rubber flex lines, while you are at it.
        Last edited by bravekozak; 02-19-2014, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Im gonna go junkyard hunting tomorrow if its nice out. Probably gonna order some stuff tonight as well. As far as wheel bearings and axles are they the same for the conversion?

Comment

Axles are the same spline. Not sure on the bearings. Same design, though. Check the cross ref on rockauto to be sure.
            Last edited by sketchman; 02-19-2014, 07:03 PM.
            Any difference that makes no difference is no difference.

Old Blue- New Tricks
            91 Festiva FSM PDF - Dropbox

Comment

Temkin set 11 is used for festiva,aspire and rio.

Comment

Cool cool. I hear em growling like crazy so i figure ill do em all. Is there a picture thread on the conversion?

Comment

You need both steering knuckles, and the rear beam with the E brake cable from the Aspire. Some swap the sway bar also.
                  You need the hoses from the Aspire for the front and rear brakes, although I did use the Festiva hoses on the rear of my swap.
                  You also need a set of 4x100 Aspire or compatible wheels as this swap changes the bolt pattern and the stock Festiva wheels no longer fit.
                  Jerry
                  Team Lightning

Owner of Team Lightning
                  90 L "Peewee" B6D. Bought new May 16,1990
                  92 L Thunder BP G5M-R Turbo B6T electronics. Jan 2016 FOTM winner SOLD
                  93 L Lightning. BP

Not a user of drugs or alcohol, Just addicted to Festiva's

Comment

It looks like the weather isnt gonna cooperate today so i think ill strip the interior and start cleaning

Comment

Friendly word of advice, if you are pulling aspire brakes front and back, bring a friend, PB blaster,a pickle fork, and a breaker bar, dont forget the big socket for the axle lug i believe its 29mm but a 30mm works. Also, check the donor cars front bearings before you take the time to pull them. Learn from my mistakes
                      Last edited by turbokid; 02-21-2014, 01:11 AM. Reason: because i learned to spell in Utah
                      "Its not fast, but its fast for a festiva."

Comment

For the ball joints, you don't need a pickle fork. Just slam the ball joint with a hammer and it will fall out.
                        1988 Ford Festiva "Sonic" BPT g25mr MS2 standalone ecu, FOTY '11, Best Beater FMV, Fan Favorite FMVI

1989 Ford Mustang GT 5.slow

1996 Ford F-150

Comment

Yeah i have all the tools i need, just gotta con a friend into helping lol. I figured i would replace all the bearings anyway.

Comment

Brakes or Swap?

I personally never rely on my friends to help out.... If I want something done on my car, I do it myself :lol: but that's me

The aspire swap is extremely worth it, you'll be happy with it for sure
                            Last edited by Damkid; 02-21-2014, 02:05 PM.

1988 323 Station Wagon - KLG4 swapped
                            1988 323 GT - B6T Powered
                            2008 Ford Escape - Rollover Survivor

1990 Festiva - First Ever Completed KLZE swap (SOLD)

If no one from the future stops you from doing it, how bad of a decision can it really be?

Comment

Oh i do my own, im talking about going to the junkyard to get the stuff lol

Comment

Working...
                              X